Upcoming TV/Movies: Rumours, Bargains and Lies

SpaceChampion

On 4/19/2023 at 5:14 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Bloody hell, Amazon spending some crazy money on flop shows. This new one will flop as well. I mean Richard Madden and Priyanka Chopra are main leads. Two of the most wooden actors I've seen. 

Like it or not, initial data points to some positive results. Courtesy of Dark Horizons

Amazon Studios head Jennifer Salke wrote on Instagram in a post today that the series debut, which hails from Amazon Studios and the Russo Brothers’ AGBO production company, has “attracted one of the largest global audiences in the history of Prime Video – such an incredible performance for new and original IP.”

Salke did not elaborate further but Deadline indicates from production sources that the launch numbers for the series debut are behind only Prime Video’s “The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power”. That show premiered with more than 25 million viewers in its first day, according to Amazon at the time.

16 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

attracted one of the largest global audiences in the history of Prime Video

Emphasis on "global". Priyanka Chopra has almost certainly brought in a large Indian contingent of viewers, and that's a huge market. 

The show is definitely aimed at action-spectacular focused audiences, of which there are many in Asia and particularly the Indian sub-continent.

Edited by Ran

58 minutes ago, Ran said:

Emphasis on "global". Priyanka Chopra has almost certainly brought in a large Indian contingent of viewers, and that's a huge market. 

The show is definitely aimed at action-spectacular focused audiences, of which there are many in Asia and particularly the Indian sub-continent.

And as is easy to forget - we think that Tom Cruise is huge, but he's nothing compared to Shah Rukh Khan, for example. 

10 hours ago, divica said:

It had a good start, but the story seems to be going downhill. FAST. From this ep and the trailler for the next one all things point to a huge and weird mess. I am amazed that the show is greenlit for a second season.

It's bound for the shores of Spinofftopia. 

I will probably die of cringe if I watched this:

‘Stars On Mars’: Natasha Leggero, Ariel Winter, Lance Armstrong, Adam Rippon, Ronda Rousey Among Celebs Set For Fox Competition Series

https://deadline.com/2023/05/stars-on-mars-natasha-leggero-ronda-rousey-lance-armstrong-cast-1235356154/

Also featuring McLovin and Shatner (as host/Mission Control).

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

Please be good
Please be good
Please be good
Please be good
Please be good
Please be good

I'm not sure about the casting, most of them are young unknown actors. Only people I'm familiar with is Eddie Marsan who is very good in most things I've seen him in, the other is that bloke from Agents of Shield who does not give me King Arthur vibes at all. 

Plus it's an ITV show, and I've watched enough ITV dramas to know that they don't stand up to BBC dramas.

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Plus it's an ITV show, and I've watched enough ITV dramas to know that they don't stand up to BBC dramas.

Oh.

Yes this simply cannot be good. It is known. 

It's the hairstyles I always go by and this does not fill me with confidence

6 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I'm not sure about the casting, most of them are young unknown actors. Only people I'm familiar with is Eddie Marsan who is very good in most things I've seen him in, the other is that bloke from Agents of Shield who does not give me King Arthur vibes at all. 

It's an independent production made by Bad Wolf (His Dark Materials, the latest version of Doctor Who) and Sony, they simply sold it to ITVX in the UK and MGM+ in the US (which will be Amazon Prime everywhere else). I'm not too fussed about that. 

Iain de Caestecker is a very, very good actor, which Agents of SHIELD only seemed to twig halfway through its run. I think he can do Cornwell's version of Arthur - an older, middle-aged mercenary commander who is more strategic and less up-close and personal - reasonable justice.

My primary concern is they don't get the assignment and just do a straight Arthur story, which would be a mistake. Keeping Derfel as the main character (the actor here is a strong up-and-comer, so that's promising), keeping Merlin as a lecherous old priest, keeping the mystical elements at far arm's length etc is important, otherwise there's no point to it.

6 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

it's an ITV show, and I've watched enough ITV dramas to know that they don't stand up to BBC dramas.

Are they the ones that gave us that unwatchable, risible Britannia?

9 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It's an independent production made by Bad Wolf (His Dark Materials, the latest version of Doctor Who) and Sony, they simply sold it to ITVX in the UK and MGM+ in the US (which will be Amazon Prime everywhere else). I'm not too fussed about that. 

Iain de Caestecker is a very, very good actor, which Agents of SHIELD only seemed to twig halfway through its run. I think he can do Cornwell's version of Arthur - an older, middle-aged mercenary commander who is more strategic and less up-close and personal - reasonable justice.

My primary concern is they don't get the assignment and just do a straight Arthur story, which would be a mistake. Keeping Derfel as the main character (the actor here is a strong up-and-comer, so that's promising), keeping Merlin as a lecherous old priest, keeping the mystical elements at far arm's length etc is important, otherwise there's no point to it.

I think Arthur was about 20-25 when he first appears in the books. Derfel was 15, Inassume they’re aging everyone up a bit.

Caestecker was really good in Shades

So the reviews coming in for the new Indy movie are pretty... well they aren't very good. Seems that the best thing I've seen said about it so far is that it isn't as bad as Crystal Skull... which is the lowest form of praise I can imagine.

Edited by Heartofice

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

So the reviews coming in for the new Indy movie are pretty... well they aren't very good. Seems that the best thing I've seen said about it so far is that it isn't as bad as Crystal Skull... which is the lowest form of praise I can imagine.

Yeah, bummer. It sounds pretty bad. 

Killer of the Flower Moon on the other hand is getting heaps of praise from what I’ve seen so far. Can’t wait to see it.