[SPOILERS] Rings of Power: Ah, Mithril, that's the good stuff!

Corvinus85

1 hour ago, Ser Drewy said:

Now that the production has found its stride post-pandemic, new episodes will likely be produced considerably faster than the debut batch. Still, McKay notes they expect to work on season 2 for “another couple years.” The first season famously racked up a bill for $700 million (including the rights), and the additional seasons are expected to cost considerably less.

Huh

Including the Harfoots (or any kind of Hobbit, really) was the smartest decision they made. ROP doesn’t have the same kind of online presence that shows like GOT did, but from the responses I’ve seen, they’re the biggest draw for the show. Hobbits ARE Middle-Earth for most people, more so than elves or dwarves, which was why the prequel trilogy was so popular despite all the whining. Even haters like Mauler (who’s critiques I tend to really like, even if he is super nit-picky—he made some videos about Season 8 of GOT) complain about the Harfoots much less than everything else.

5 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Hobbits ARE Middle-Earth for most people, more so than elves or dwarves, which was why the prequel trilogy was so popular despite all the whining.

I was thinking about this too, as hobbits are centered in every section of The Lord of the Rings, and, then, of course, that first little volume, The Hobbit.  :cheers:

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

The only way Halbrand is Sauron is if he regenerates into Anson Boon. 

The problem with Halbrand being Sauron is that the show wants so badly to trick us that it becomes illogical. He stopped Galadriel from killing Adar, saved her on the raft despite then trying to get away from her, and needed a ton of convincing to leave Numenor. So either he’s playing some kind of 5-D chess (which would be a hard sell, since he couldn’t even avoid getting arrested within the first 24 hours of landing on shore) or he’s genuinely repentant. The problem with that (and the problem with prequels in general) is that we already know how it ends—there’s no penance, there’s no redemption. Whatever connection he had with Galadriel is long forgotten by the time of LOTR. And there is something very nihilistic about that, which I have never associated with LOTR.

The report that Anson Boon is playing Sauron was apparently erroneous. Oddly, TIME Magazine had an interview with one of the producers a while back shooting it down (paywall).

Still, it doesn't matter. Sauron is a shapeshifter, so could be The Stranger/Halbrand/3rd Random Dwarf from the Left and then shapeshift into Anson Boon (or whomever) in the finale.

8 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The report that Anson Boon is playing Sauron was apparently erroneous. Oddly, TIME Magazine had an interview with one of the producers a while back shooting it down (paywall).

Still, it doesn't matter. Sauron is a shapeshifter, so could be The Stranger/Halbrand/3rd Random Dwarf from the Left and then shapeshift into Anson Boon (or whomever) in the finale.

I’m guessing that if he’s revealed to be a character we already know, he’ll take a new form next season. Once his cover’s blown, there’s no point in keeping it.

16 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Elves aren't Elves though, when they woke they invented words (and their language Quenya) and they called themselves Quendi. 

Dwarves aren't Dwarves either, they call themselves Khazad.

Interesting, but I didn't mean linguistically. 

You've made me realize though how weird it is that only rarely do characters talk in subtitled Quenya. Like I'd assume when the elves are alone they're speaking their language and it's being "translated" into english for the audience's benefit. But then sometimes they talk in untranslated elvish which sorta kills that idea and makes it seem like the elves/dwarves/harfoots are speaking english or some kind of "common tongue" even when alone. 

5 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

says:

Now that the production has found its stride post-pandemic, new episodes will likely be produced considerably faster than the debut batch. Still, McKay notes they expect to work on season 2 for “another couple years.

Ouch. Was hoping season 2 would release next autumn, seems not to be the case if that holds true.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Anson Boon?  No, ought to be Anson Mount, with that Pike hair.  I could see all Numenor falling for him.

14 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Interesting, but I didn't mean linguistically.

But that's the point, Harfoot and the other tribes of proto-Hobbit adapt from migratory foragers to sedentary agriculturists, their language is going to adapt too, and what they call themselves will.  Hobbitish is a subdialect of Westron (the Common Speech), which descended from Numenorian's Adunaic.  But the Numenorians haven't colonized Middle Earth yet so that influence hasn't happened yet.

On 10/5/2022 at 7:50 AM, Werthead said:

Eh, I don't think they've been that clear on that. They struck a deal with New Line/WB to use their imagery if necessary, and they are using the Jackson versions of Sauron's armour and the design for the Balrogs, and there's enough elsewhere that's similar (Moria isn't exactly the same but then we only saw like 0.001% of it in the films, and you can easily imagine other halls and sections of the mines that are differently-designed because they are thousands of years older or newer than others).

I think from a creative point clearly there are no personnel in common between the two projects on the writing/directing front, but the reuse of Jackson designs muddies the water.

The Balrog looks the same because they are using John Howe.

Archived