Jump to content

[SPOILERS] Rings of Power: Ah, Mithril, that's the good stuff!


Corvinus85
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Seeing clips in isolation of Galadriel fighting, including this latest training scene, gives me a very upscale Xena vibe. Bear McCreary's scoring, right? The music was fun and humorous in the training scene.

One of the stupidest scenes I've ever witnessed. Imagine having to choreograph that scene. "Okay, I've got make someone without superpowers fighting off eight guys look believable".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Darryk said:

One of the stupidest scenes I've ever witnessed. Imagine having to choreograph that scene. "Okay, I've got make someone without superpowers fighting off eight guys look believable".

Well, she probably does have superpowers in the sense that she's thousands of years old and imbued with Elven vitality and hardiness and is otherwise really powerful. But it's a very Xena sort of scene... or, looking at some of the moves, very wuxia, which obviously inspired a lot of it. Michelle Yeoh couldn't have done much better. But that does also mean that the trainees have to be extra dumb, as is normally the case for the mooks in wuxia films.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just find the show boring. It looks visually nice, but I just don't seem to care about anyone, aside from the dwarfs, the dwarfs are perfect. The logic of giving a promotion, to someone for just landing a blow on Galadriel, made me laugh; the logic of earning a promotion, just from scratching someone in a 1 vs 8 match, just made me laugh.

Edited by sifth
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Gotta say it’s weird to see everyone complaining about the Elves needing Mithril, as a non-appendices reader it doesn’t even register alongside ‘my dad left to literally carry a star across the sky’. OK.

He carried a Silmaril which was placed on his ship.

My problem is less about mithril somehow containing the light of a Silmaril, even though that would be wrong in terms of the lore, and more about the Elves badly needing to use it to juice up or die. What about all the Elves who never even saw the light of the Trees?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

What about all the Elves who never even saw the light of the Trees?

Right, which is, ya know, the overwhelming majority of elves that are still on middle-earth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

He carried a Silmaril which was placed on his ship.

My problem is less about mithril somehow containing the light of a Silmaril, even though that would be wrong in terms of the lore, and more about the Elves badly needing to use it to juice up or die. What about all the Elves who never even saw the light of the Trees?

I believe they said the Elves could return to their home land as well. This is the only way they can survive in Middle Earth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Nabarg said:

I guess the thing with mithril is that they can’t give elven people mithril infusions, but the point of the creation of the rings of power is to bind this silmaril essence from mithril, and thus preventing the elves from fading by infusing the reality with this mithrilness, which will make middle earth valinorish.

If the showrunners are more clever than I credit them to be, the black rot that GilGalad sees in the tree is an effect created by Sauron in order to make the elven leadership panic and jump into the ring project without thinking it through. Galadriel will the be the only one who asks questions and sees through it (but nobody but possible Elrond will believe her).

And I still say that the stranger is Tilion (but unnamed for copyright reasons), and the origin of the song Frodo sang at the Prancing Pony. See him and the moon while the harfoot girl sang. And ice magic seems to fit with a cold moon to.

And if he’s not Tilion, he is probably Saruman, but through a misunderstanding still the origin of the man in the moon story of hobbit lore. (And the man in the moon in Roverandom is quite Sarumanish, but kind of a good Saruman. Like Artaxerxes was an evil Gandalf).

This kind of makes sense now, because the power of the elves does fade after the rings are destroyed, and they go to the west. But changing it from the rings themselves to Mithril is a pretty big one. 

Also, thing Meteor Man is Gandalf because the way he talks to the fireflies is similar to the way he talks to the moth in The Hobbit when he is stuck in the trees with the dwarves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Well, she probably does have superpowers in the sense that she's thousands of years old and imbued with Elven vitality and hardiness and is otherwise really powerful. But it's a very Xena sort of scene... or, looking at some of the moves, very wuxia, which obviously inspired a lot of it. Michelle Yeoh couldn't have done much better. But that does also mean that the trainees have to be extra dumb, as is normally the case for the mooks in wuxia films.

You must not have seen the scene where she shoves a bunch of  Númenóreans guards into a prison cell and it was so badly done that it looks like the guards just voluntarily walked in.

It's a running theme in this show. In order to make her look badass they have to make the people around her look utterly useless. It's not the norm for combat to look this bad.

I find fight scenes with Michelle Yeoh far more convincing cause it looks like she's trained for it, whereas the actress playing Galadriel admitted in an interview she doesn't even like doing fight scenes and needed therapy to deal with it.

The tavern scene with Zhang Ziyi in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is another example of one vs multiple opponents that is done well and looks convincing, because she does maneuvers and moves around strategically, whereas Galadriel hardly moves at all.

One of the ways people defend shows like Rings of Power (I'm not referring to you as I know you're not even watching it) is by trying to claim that "well it's just like any other scene in any other movie". Sorry but I'm not buying it, the fight scenes in this series are horrendous. They are just badly done, period.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Darryk said:

the actress playing Galadriel admitted in an interview she doesn't even like doing fight scenes and needed therapy to deal with it.

You can't be serious. That would be downright insulting. These buffoons are adapting works of a writer who actually fought at the Somme in WWI, and they can't even act and pretend fighting without breaking down?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s pretty clear that Clark is not comfortable doing action scenes like that and the whole setup seems to have been designed to cover for her weakness. A bit like those Boba Fett fight scenes. 
 

The whole thing was very slow, her actions were just ponderous. At one point she pushes her sword to the back of one guys neck and he probably had a couple of seconds to react to it but of course didn’t. If you actually just keep your eyes on her  during the fight it’s minimal , she doesn’t have to do much other than jump to the side or dodge a bit. Maybe that is the point but it feels like it was choreographed to cover for her. Any time she needs to move a sword it looks really amateur and slow. 
 

But meh, whatever, I really don’t think it’s the worst thing in the show, it’s just a symptom of a bigger problem 

Edited by Heartofice
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sifth said:

I believe they said the Elves could return to their home land as well. This is the only way they can survive in Middle Earth.

55 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

So how many Elves are in middle Earth? They have a back up plan right, like enough boats to take every last one to Valenor in time? Surely?

Per Tolkien's writings, the Elves originated in Middle-earth, then a bunch of them moved to Valinor, but not all. So there are many Elves who never saw the light of the Trees of Valinor. A portion of those Elves from Valinor returned to Middle-earth to fight Morgoth because not only did he destroy the Trees, he stole the Jewels, the Silmarils, which contained the light of the Trees. These Elves are the Noldor. Many died in the wars against Morgoth. So by the Second Age, the vast majority of Elves living in Middle-earth are those who never saw the light of the Trees. So why is the entire Elven race in peril all of a sudden?

 

44 minutes ago, Darryk said:

I find fight scenes with Michelle Yeoh far more convincing cause it looks like she's trained for it, whereas the actress playing Galadriel admitted in an interview she doesn't even like doing fight scenes and needed therapy to deal with it.

23 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It’s pretty clear that Clark is not comfortable doing action scenes like that and the whole setup seems to have been designed to cover for her weakness. A bit like those Boba Fett fight scenes. 
 

So one of your main characters is known to possess great magical power, and you could show her this way, but instead you choose to make her into a Xena-type warrior, and then you hire an actor who is uncomfortable doing action scenes. :laugh: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...