US Politics: Oh Dearie, Dearie me.

A Horse Named Stranger

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Somebody wants to keep their law license.

Idk, he's supposed to be the one to suggest the Special Master Strategy, and Dearie... I suspect TFG doesn't quite like how that's going.

Judge Amy Berman Jackson is awesome!

Judge Amy Berman Jackson sentenced Capitol rioter, Kyle Young, to more than seven years in prison...."The judiciary," she said, "has to make it clear: It is not patriotism, it is not standing up for America to stand up for one man who knows full well that he lost instead of the Constitution he was trying to subvert.".... 

Jackson on Tuesday pointed to the presence of Young's teenage son, saying, "It defies understanding that the presence of your 16-year-old son by your side on January 6 did not inspire you to curb your behavior in the slightest."....."

You can hear his screams on the video. Screams … while he's begging, 'I have children,' you choose to join in. You aid the others around you and help to hold him down," Jackson said.  
Jackson noted that, in the video of the assault on Fanone, a "Blue Lives Matter" flag swirled overhead.  "It was obscene," she said.

Trump fan who assaulted Officer Fanone on Jan. 6 sentenced to more than 7 years in prison (nbcnews.com)

27 minutes ago, LongRider said:

"I still can't believe I let myself and my son get swept up into such terrible events," Young wrote in a letter to the judge, adding he was "highly ashamed" and that he'll "never do anything like that again."

Oh I can believe it, I can believe it very much. It wasn't the first time and it won't be the last time that people have done these things. And I can fully believe that Young and his son will be further radicalised during that 7 year sentence. Perhaps they will renounce the MAGA cult and have learned a lesson, but I have my doubts.

23 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Idk, he's supposed to be the one to suggest the Special Master Strategy, and Dearie... I suspect TFG doesn't quite like how that's going.

Hum, that doesn't really square with the time line tho, does it? He was brought on, after they filed this ridiculous motion for the SM. So my reading is, that with the Special Master basically saying: Put up or shut up with their conspiracy theories.  45 is not going to either of those things, and the client might be insistent on actions that would put the lawyers in serious danger of getting disbarred (if applied). So I think this is him, seeing the writing on the wall and hitting the emergency brakes, before he gets in too deep.Or he realized that 45 is lying through his teeth to his lawyers, and that would also put their legal licenses in jeopardy. I think Bobb, who signed off on that statement, that there all the documents have been returned, should be worried about her license (at the very least). Ofc, she is not working as a lawyer but as that rallye reporter/fluffer girl for 45 fans on one of those deranged right wing propaganda networks (so not really practicing law), thus her law license might be not as dear to her as to, well, lawyers.

10 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Oh I can believe it, I can believe it very much. It wasn't the first time and it won't be the last time that people have done these things. And I can fully believe that Young and his son will be further radicalised during that 7 year sentence. Perhaps they will renounce the MAGA cult and have learned a lesson, but I have my doubts.

The same is true for those who got away lightly, some of them pretending regret in court and then instantly going on Fox to state their true feelings.

Regarding the election bill, if I got this right, the Senate will only vote on it after the November elections, and since there are differences with the House bill, it would have to be reconciled but...in the lame duck session? Sounds a bit risky, but whatever....I do remember from some episode of West Wing that legislation is passed during that November-January time frame. There was a little subplot about it regarding some member of Congress who voted against some bill because his constituents booted him out due to his previous support of said bill.

47 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

MAGA tears debunked:  I can’t believe I got caught and my hero won’t even mention pardons. So unfair!  

On 9/26/2022 at 12:27 PM, KalVsWade said:

There are some that are predicting a worse crash, yes. It's not as common but it is out there. In particular there are worries about the stability of the Chinese market that could cause some very unforeseen leverage issues which could be very, very bad. That interest rates and inflation are up there means that unlike 2008 it's harder to recover by using more money right away to just make the world more liquid.

The other issue is that in 2008 the world was largely cooperative and could be relied on to work together to mitigate the recession. That is absolutely not the case. China could be seen then as an economic partner, and Russia was working closely with Europe. Neither are remotely true now, and that adds even more risk. 

This is interesting, but we are only 42 days away from the election now, and with there now being so much early voting it's still hard for me to believe anything could happen quickly enough to have a major impact on this particular election. Maybe if China's economy collapsed within the next week -- but not if it happens on Oct. 31.  How long before Nov. 8 do you think a collapse of the Chinese market would have a real effect on the perceptions of average American voters?

31 minutes ago, Ormond said:

This is interesting, but we are only 42 days away from the election now, and with there now being so much early voting it's still hard for me to believe anything could happen quickly enough to have a major impact on this particular election. Maybe if China's economy collapsed within the next week -- but not if it happens on Oct. 31.  How long before Nov. 8 do you think a collapse of the Chinese market would have a real effect on the perceptions of average American voters?

That would all depend on who can do the best job of spinning a collapse to their advantage. A Chinese economy collapse will be hard on the US economy and US voters, but the US govt isn't directly to blame for Chinese economic policy failures. The question is, who gets to blame whom for the US becoming too vulnerable to Chinese economic problems. Can the Democrats believably blame Bush and Trump? Can the Republicans believably blame Barak, Joe, Hillary and Hunter's laptop?

Biden possibly has a slight recency advantage if he can believably claim that his policies are bring jobs and control back to the USA so that with him and the Democrats in power the US will never again be vulnerable to such collapses in foreign economies (bollocks of course, but when has truth ever been important in campaigning?)

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So Manchin's shitty backroom deal amendments are dead. Good.

Thank the gods for the Republicans Senate!

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Sounds a bit risky, but whatever....I do remember from some episode of West Wing that legislation is passed during that November-January time frame. There was a little subplot about it regarding some member of Congress who voted against some bill because his constituents booted him out due to his previous support of said bill.

You're referring to the Season 2 episode appropriately titled "The Lame Duck Congress."  It's a fun episode,* but like much of West Wing, nothing to take seriously (and I say this as someone who is probably a bigger fan of the show than anyone reading this).  Bills are frequently passed during "lame duck sessions."  Hell, recall two years ago when the stimulus bill was passed, like, during Christmas and right before January 6.  Or in December 2010 when Obama and congressional Republicans reached a compromise on the Bush tax cuts/major economic bill.  Anyway, the Senate may well vote on this in October/before the election regardless, we'll see.

*The episode dealt with a Dem Senator from Philly that was voted out precisely because of him leading the way on the nuclear test ban treaty.  He felt an ethical obligation to abstain if Bartlet/the Dems called for a vote on that bill precisely because he was voted out because of it.  The idea that such an ethical concern would ever change the preferences of a Senate Republican aside, this is not a realistic concern.  None of the GOP co-sponsors who are up for reelection this cycle are in particular danger, and the only retiring one - Rob Portman - is very undoubtedly not going to have such an ethical quandary.

On a major economic collapse changing votes - the main issue is that thanks to early voting it won't have as big effect no matter what. That said, the 2008 'recovery is sound' ad that killed McCain was pretty damn effective and it came out like Oct 15th. Obama was already going to win most likely, but that probably was responsible for the supermajority he got.

18 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

That said, the 2008 'recovery is sound' ad that killed McCain was pretty damn effective and it came out like Oct 15th. Obama was already going to win most likely, but that probably was responsible for the supermajority he got.

The statement was made on September 15th, not October, and it really didn't need an ad considering all the free media it got.  That being said, I agree Obama was very likely to win and I don't think that statement in and of itself made too much of a difference.  What made a difference in Obama's margin was what subsequently happened in the immediate aftermath - the general freakout at the time, the scrambling to pass the TARP bill, the far-right (well, "far-right" at the time) House GOP's brief revolt against it, McCain's desperate attempt to cancel debates, etc.  I recall a very zeitgeist-y line from Jon Stewart (definitely paraphrasing here) at the time was "George Bush doesn't just want to be the worst president ever, he now wants to be the last president."

It's very hard to see something like that happen in the last few weeks before election day -- and as @Ormond said, economic evaluations among voters are almost always already built-in at this point in an electoral cycle.  Even ignoring the advent of early voting.

14 hours ago, DMC said:

Thank the gods for the Republicans Senate!

Broken clock, something something even Florida etc.

I really don't care who put the nail in the proverbial coffin of Manchin's shitty proposal, as long as it's dead. I am sure he will try to revive as bargaining chip during reconcelliation or at some other point. 

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I am sure he will try to revive as bargaining chip during reconcelliation or at some other point. 

Well, horrible butchering of the word reconciliation aside, no, he won't.  This was his effort to put in the CR - that will only last til December btw - and he failed.

Republicans or not - this is the first time I've seen Progressives fight back and hold their own. Didn't know they had it in them!

Trump judge's own special master rebukes her for limiting his ability to do his job

... Now, the special master himself, Senior Judge Raymond Dearie of Brooklyn, is rebuking Cannon for a decision that hamstrings a key function of the job she assigned him to do, in a filing published by Just Security. Specifically, he is taking issue with her rescinding his authority to issue interim reports as he conducts his review — and saying her reasoning for this made no sense.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-judges-own-special-master-rebukes-her-for-limiting-his-ability-to-do-his-job/ar-AA12jZ22?li=BBnbfcL

Archived