US Politics: Oh Dearie, Dearie me.

A Horse Named Stranger

2 hours ago, DMC said:

he's more dangerous than Trump because he's actually competent.

Indeed.  I keep wondering though, what would he have done in this case if They had already succeeded in Their goals of ridding us of federal government.  Who ya gonna call then -- Ghostbusters?

Like millions I cannot forget his first act as a congresscritter was to vote against any federal relief for NY and NJ after Hurricane Sandy.  And that he so very much supported no relief for Puerto Rico and Hurricane Maria -- and all Puerto Rico got was romperface throwing rolls of doubtless low grade rolls of paper towels in Puerto Rican faces.

So, what indeed will They do when there's no federal government, no agencies, no money to rebuild Their homes?  Slave labor doubtless.

10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

So, what indeed will They do when there's no federal government, no agencies, no money to rebuild Their homes?  Slave labor doubtless.

Good question.  No safety nets and poor education,  nightmare fuel. 

So, what indeed will They do when there's no federal government, no agencies, no money to rebuild Their homes? 

I don't think they want to get rid of it entirely. They just want to divert the funds to deserving individuals like Bret Favre.

Republican states keep refusing to expand Medicaid — until you ask their voters
Medicaid expansion is 6-for-6 with voters on ballot initiatives. South Dakota could make it seven in a row.

https://www.vox.com/health-care/2022/9/30/23377495/medicaid-expansion-states-south-dakota-ballot-initiative

On Election Day, voters will decide on a constitutional amendment that would extend Medicaid eligibility under the Affordable Care Act. If it passes, anybody making less than 133 percent of the federal poverty level (about $18,000 for an individual or $36,900 for a family of four) would qualify for Medicaid coverage. Right now, 5 percent of the state is uninsured. Childless adults of working age can not qualify for coverage at all. Pregnant women, children, and the elderly can currently receive Medicaid benefits, but working parents must have a very low income — less than 63 percent of the federal poverty level, about $17,500 for a family of four — to enroll.

An estimated 45,000 South Dakotans would be covered by the expansion, adding to 20.4 million low-income Americans nationwide already insured by the Medicaid expansion since the program took full effect in 2014. Many of those who would qualify for Medicaid in South Dakota — about 14,000 — are Native Americans currently ineligible for coverage. The ballot initiative appears to have a good shot at passing in November: Polling commissioned by the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network found 62 percent of South Dakota voters said they support the measure.

45 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Indeed.  I keep wondering though, what would he have done in this case if They had already succeeded in Their goals of ridding us of federal government.  Who ya gonna call then -- Ghostbusters?

Like millions I cannot forget his first act as a congresscritter was to vote against any federal relief for NY and NJ after Hurricane Sandy.  And that he so very much supported no relief for Puerto Rico and Hurricane Maria -- and all Puerto Rico got was romperface throwing rolls of doubtless low grade rolls of paper towels in Puerto Rican faces.

Yeah, as Martell Spy intimated, "They" know they lost the battle over the federal government a long time ago.  Now, "They" want to use it to benefit their own and punish the others.  It gets complicated saying that out loud, but it's become very close to their explicit platform.

24 minutes ago, DMC said:

It gets complicated saying that out loud, but it's become very close to their explicit platform.

Yet the more impoverished and immiserated the general population becomes, the less actual cash that population can generate that They then can appropriate.

Slave labor works great where there is a slave society, but for buying coaches and French wine, not so much, unless that labor is generating some sort of hot cash production for which there's a global demand, as in ye Golden Age of pre-abolition Dixie.  And then They learned the globe could indeed do without Their cotton.

But then nobody ever accuses Them of attention to reality, economic or any other sort.  Reality is so 20th C. Get with the metaverse, babee.

2 hours ago, LongRider said:

You were asking me about that couple that left California for upstate New York, right, from the last thread.

I saw my friends on Sunday at dinner and they said they lived in the LA area. He’s a team leader writing software for a big gaming company, she’s a midwife. They moved to the Lake Champlain area, an easy run up the highway to either Montreal or Cornwall in Ontario. They both have family there. He works on-line so he could move anywhere, her services are in high demand.

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

You were asking me about that couple that left California for upstate New York, right, from the last thread.

I saw my friends on Sunday at dinner and they said they lived in the LA area. He’s a team leader writing software for a big gaming company, she’s a midwife. They moved to the Lake Champlain area, an easy run up the highway to either Montreal or Cornwall in Ontario. They both have family there. He works on-line so he could move anywhere, her services are in high demand.

Thanks for the update, Birdie.  If they feel the need they could head out to Canada.  Nice!

Rather outdated at this point, but nonetheless interesting to get Obama's off-the-record thoughts from January 2017:

He was right about some things, but I think underestimated the rot that would occur in other areas. 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

We’re fine.  It’s been a windy blustery day.  I’ll have raking to do next week.  The Low Country and Pee Dee are getting heavy rain and wind.

Good to hear the storm has lost some of its sting. I hope the Florida recovery gets into top gear quickly.

8 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Thanks for the follow up, sounds like if they want to make a move, they should be OKAY.

19 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

My best friend in Omaha's youngest brother, who's about 50, recently moved to Plattsburgh, New York on Lake Champlain from the Portland, Oregon area where he had been working in software for years. But he didn't do that for any political reason or fears of violence -- he just wanted to get out of an urban area and do something different with his life. My friend is looking forward to visiting his brother so that he can then also visit Montreal easily. :)

Archived