US Politics: Oh Dearie, Dearie me.

A Horse Named Stranger

12 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

One of our boarders posted a picture of her house in Florida (I think she’s not too too far from Sanibel) and it looks like it’s in the middle of a lake. The lower floor looks like it must have suffered serious damage.

I saw her posts too.  She's in Ft. Meyers I believe. 

The timeshare my family has had for more than 40 years now is on Sanibel Island.  We can watch cars cross the Causeway from our windows.  We're less than a ten minute walk to the Lighthouse there. I all but grew up there vacationing every summer.  It's one of my favorite places on Earth.  It got walloped.  Fortunately it appears the roof repairs the resort did a few years ago held up, though the water damage is as epic as expected.  The tennis courts washed away.  Stuff like that...

I also saw a reporter on CNN who was showing images of a huge fishing charter boat from Ft. Meyers Beach...I did a double take because I knew it, as I've gone on it a few times, including taking the kids on it to deep-sea fish the first time...

3 hours ago, Ormond said:

My best friend in Omaha's youngest brother, who's about 50, recently moved to Plattsburgh, New York on Lake Champlain from the Portland, Oregon area where he had been working in software for years. But he didn't do that for any political reason or fears of violence -- he just wanted to get out of an urban area and do something different with his life. My friend is looking forward to visiting his brother so that he can then also visit Montreal easily. :)

Maybe because my friends’ friends are younger they’re more nervous, less laid back?

Geez, is the Plattsburgh area getting a reputation in software circles?

Past year or two, I have been seeing a number of articles featuring far-right screwballs making claims like this. Depressingly, I figure it is only a matter of time until something like this gets worked into what passes for the GOP platform. Gotta wonder how many of DMC's neighbors would believe this...

Far-right pundits baselessly claim Hurricane Ian was created by the 'deep state' to target Gov. Ron DeSantis and other red states: 'They are angry with us' (msn.com)

Two far-right pundits are spewing baseless a conspiracy theory about "weather manipulation" — claiming that Hurricane Ian was created by the so-called Deep State to target Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and other GOP-led states as "punishment."

The comments were made by DeAnna Lorraine and Lauren Witzke, both former GOP congressional candidates, according to The Independent and RightWing Watch, a group that monitors right-wing activity. 

"We understand that the 'deep state,' they have weather manipulation technology," Lorraine said on her Telegram show, per a clip posted by the group on Friday, referring to the hurricane that struck the Sunshine State

"These huge hurricanes always seem to target red states, red districts, and always at a convenient time — typically right before elections," she added. "Or, in this case, possibly because Ron DeSantis has been stepping out of line a lot and challenging, fighting the 'deep state." 

I love how they put 'baselessly' in there. Suggesting that there could be a base from which to accuse Weather Fraud, which of course is illegal under the Bond Villain Act of 2371-The Year of Our Lord Lizardo, of the secret calendar 

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

Past year or two, I have been seeing a number of articles featuring far-right screwballs making claims like this. Depressingly, I figure it is only a matter of time until something like this gets worked into what passes for the GOP platform. Gotta wonder how many of DMC's neighbors would believe this...

Far-right pundits baselessly claim Hurricane Ian was created by the 'deep state' to target Gov. Ron DeSantis and other red states: 'They are angry with us' (msn.com)

Two far-right pundits are spewing baseless a conspiracy theory about "weather manipulation" — claiming that Hurricane Ian was created by the so-called Deep State to target Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and other GOP-led states as "punishment."

The comments were made by DeAnna Lorraine and Lauren Witzke, both former GOP congressional candidates, according to The Independent and RightWing Watch, a group that monitors right-wing activity. 

"We understand that the 'deep state,' they have weather manipulation technology," Lorraine said on her Telegram show, per a clip posted by the group on Friday, referring to the hurricane that struck the Sunshine State

"These huge hurricanes always seem to target red states, red districts, and always at a convenient time — typically right before elections," she added. "Or, in this case, possibly because Ron DeSantis has been stepping out of line a lot and challenging, fighting the 'deep state." 

I'd think those Bible huggers would take their complaints about the Hurricane elsewhere...

Gawd hates Florida. Thus he inflicted DeSatan upon them and Hurricane Ian on top of it. I am not saying that he was angered by the acts of Idolatry in the Sunstroke State, by dancing around a giant mouse, but it was either that or @DMC mere presence there. I have my money on the mouse tho.

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

That’s even better than Jewish space lasers.

Just now, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I'd think those Bible huggers would take their complaints about the Hurricane elsewhere...

Gawd hates Florida. Thus he inflicted DeSatan upon them and Hurricane Ian on top of it. I am not saying that he was angered by the acts of Idolatry in the Sunstroke State, by dancing around a giant mouse, but it was either that or @DMC mere presence there. I have my money on the mouse tho.

God is punishing Florida for having too many Democratic voters.  

Anything's possible in world in which a federal government institution such as the Library of Congress allows the likes of Lizzo to twerk* via James Madison' sacred crystal flute.  Reichlicans doing a rumplestiltskin split up the crotch tantrum are demanding all these people be deported to China, or lynched, or all the above (add to the all your own vengeance of choice).

* They clearly don't know what twerking is even, for obviously she did nothing of the sort.  It's just a Word they picked up somewhere.

6 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

These huge hurricanes always seem to target red states, red districts, and always at a convenient time — typically right before elections," she added. "Or, in this case, possibly because Ron DeSantis has been stepping out of line a lot and challenging, fighting the 'deep state."

Wouldn’t the best time be on the day of the election? Since republicans have started to vote in person more.

4 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Wouldn’t the best time be on the day of the election? Since republicans have started to vote in person more.

Its kind of the best of both worlds for nutjobs - libeling an organisation that doesn't exist - no-one to sue them.

So this is a good example of why some of us despise Republicans and the fake ass people who help elect them-

"Matt Gaetz Votes No On Relief Money As Florida Grapples With Hurricane Ian Aftermath | HuffPost Latest News" https://www.huffpost.com/entry/matt-gaetz-disaster-relief-hurricane_n_6338e588e4b08e0e606e676e

Matt Gaetz is a Florida native.

14 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Finally believing in humans causing the climate to change is a start, I guess.

It's entirely possible a majority or at least substantial plurality of Gaetz's constituents would agree with him on not sending federal money to Florida. Even though that money could be claimed to have come from Floridian taxpayers in the first place, so they'd just be getting their own money back.

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

So this is a good example of why some of us despise Republicans and the fake ass people who help elect them-

"Matt Gaetz Votes No On Relief Money As Florida Grapples With Hurricane Ian Aftermath | HuffPost Latest News" https://www.huffpost.com/entry/matt-gaetz-disaster-relief-hurricane_n_6338e588e4b08e0e606e676e

Matt Gaetz is a Florida native.

Just feed him to the sharks already...

37 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Sharks are merely food for Orcas.

Orcas don't eat people though. Maybe you don't understand these creatures as well as the average American because Free Willy is a lot more appealing than Ruf der Freiheit. :P

Archived