US Politics: Oh Dearie, Dearie me.

A Horse Named Stranger

I have some real harsh words about why I think that Republicans in Georgia will not give a single shit about this, but I'll bite my tongue this time and just say that I don't think this will change very much. 

11 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

I have some real harsh words about why I think that Republicans in Georgia will not give a single shit about this, but I'll bite my tongue this time and just say that I don't think this will change very much. 

I think it won't change much, but there's a lot of evidence that scandals do still have a limited impact (Item A: Trump losing re-election). If this causes even a 1% shift, that might be enough considering how close the race is.

My theory is that the strengths/weaknesses of the candidates for Governor will push Fetterman and Walker over the finish line. Split ticket voting doesnt occur all that much (although in GA 1% can make a huge difference) and Kemp's strength will play a big part (along with whatever voting shenanigans they pull)

17 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I'm worried about all Democrats in close races. For instance, in Nevada Laxalt has led in the last 5 polls and I fear that seat is lost. Georgia continues to be on a knife edge and I dont know if Warnock can pull it off. Ron Johnson also appears to be steadily pulling ahead in WI, so holding the Senate will be quite tough.

Not that this isn't concerning, but the same political commentators I see on YouTube who don't think the Democrats stand a chance in Ohio and Wisconsin because polls there have understated Republican support in the past often point out that Nevada is the opposite example -- in the past polls there usually understate Democratic support. 

Perhaps, but Jon Ralston (who we've quoted in the past here as a local authority on Nevada elections) thinks there are enough switches in party affiliation from D to R for it to be indicative that this year may be tough for the Democrats. I just looked at his blog (coincidentally updated this morning): https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/many-more-dems-switching-parties-than-republicans-during-last-three-months

There are still more Dems becoming Rs than the other way around, and many more Dems leaving the party to become indies than there are Rs. But many more indies are becoming Dems than they are becoming Rs, so the trends are mixed. The Dems have been extending their lead over the GOP in Clark over the last six weeks, but two out of the three trends here still favor the Rs.

Anyway, Nevada is a pretty tough place to poll to begin with because of a large migrant population (which typically favors Dems as you note), but there are enough worrying factors to not be as confident about that as in the past.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I just saw that.  That is Dystopian Nightmare food.  That’s a way to track whether a woman is pregnant.  That’s awful shit.

So fucked up.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/04/dr-oz-dogs-us-senate-pennsylvania-john-fetterman

An already over-the-top and acrimonious US Senate race in Pennsylvania has escalated after John Fetterman – the Democratic candidate – accused his Republican opponent, the celebrity physician Dr Oz, of having killed more than 300 dogs.

I guess one way to dodge "baby-killer" attacks is to accuse your opponent of being a puppy-killer

Just now, IheartIheartTesla said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/04/dr-oz-dogs-us-senate-pennsylvania-john-fetterman

I guess one way to dodge "baby-killer" attacks is to accuse your opponent of being a puppy-killer

That could be a winner. It is a well known thing that Americans prefer dogs to women.

17 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

Statement from his son? Not much, I agree.

Proof that he paid for an abortion? That will fucking destroy him, and I say this as someone who knows a lot of conservative Southerners. That's pretty much the only possible scandal that could destroy Trump as well.

56 minutes ago, Gorn said:

Proof that he paid for an abortion? That will fucking destroy him, and I say this as someone who knows a lot of conservative Southerners. That's pretty much the only possible scandal that could destroy Trump as well.

You appear to be incorrect. His fundraising has increased since the news broke. And while you might know a lot of conservative Southerners, I suspect you don't quite understand how they feel about this. There's the obvious 'I did a bad thing before but now I'm against that' angle, but there's also the 'we don't give a shit because Republican' angle.

Musk to buy Twitter after all.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/10/04/musk-twitter-offer-accepted-00060301

Trump personally packed classified documents, tried to get attorney to lie about what he took

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/10/4/2126909/-Trump-personally-packed-classified-documents-tried-to-get-attorney-to-lie-about-what-he-took

Oh, and he now asks SCOTUS to block DOJ from accessing classified documents.

Ofc it's possible that Ginni's best friend decides this on his own, so who knows...

On a brighter note, today was Ketanji Brown Jackson's first day on the new job.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I just saw that.  That is Dystopian Nightmare food.  That’s a way to track whether a woman is pregnant.  That’s awful shit.

Will this hold up in court? 

1 hour ago, Gorn said:

To add to what Kal said, the overwhelming majority of comments I've seen and heard from the right are attacking his son for confirming it. 

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Will this hold up in court? 

I hope not.  The dip wads pushing this puerile policy don’t understand female physiology at all.   If they are trying to identify transgender girls because they don’t have menses, they are on the wrong track. 

Various physical ailments can cause stoppage of periods.  With the  normal variation of when girls start, some girls might not have periods when the dip wads think they should.  

What next?  Official panty sniffing?

Jfc, this is sick. 

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

Musk to buy Twitter after all.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/10/04/musk-twitter-offer-accepted-00060301

Trump personally packed classified documents, tried to get attorney to lie about what he took

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/10/4/2126909/-Trump-personally-packed-classified-documents-tried-to-get-attorney-to-lie-about-what-he-took

Oh, and he now asks SCOTUS to block DOJ from accessing classified documents.

Ofc it's possible that Ginni's best friend decides this on his own, so who knows...

On a brighter note, today was Ketanji Brown Jackson's first day on the new job.

Thought the first - from direct personal experience reading far, far too many comments on political articles: The far-right types screaming the loudest about 'free speech' and complaining about how they are being censored by Twitter or Facebook or whatever tend to be extremely thin skinned. When pressed, they tend to...come apart. I have seen several of these types complain about being 'harassed' and threatening to 'report' when pressed.  To me, it looks like they want to be able to act like assholes with no official or private blowback - 'freedom of speech' is pretty much a one way street.

Thought the second - by now the spy boys should be working double and triple shifts trying to figure out what happened to the contents of the empty classified folders - I seem to remember there being something like a couple dozen of them. If they manage to put forth a credible case that the contents of those folders made it into foreign hands...then Trump could be getting close to Rosenberg territory. Garland, much as he really, really, doesn't want to, might actually have to file serious charges against Trump. That in turn would probably result in a major uptick in far-right violence.

Thought the third - Anybody else here anticipating additional FBI raids/searches on Trump properties in direct connection with the missing classified document mess?

56 minutes ago, LongRider said:

I hope not.  The dip wads pushing this puerile policy don’t understand female physiology at all.   If they are trying to identify transgender girls because they don’t have menses, they are on the wrong track. 

Various physical ailments can cause stoppage of periods.  With the  normal variation of when girls start, some girls might not have periods when the dip wads think they should.  

What next?  Official panty sniffing?

Jfc, this is sick. 

Yeah, my first thought was that it sounded like an ineffective way to go about enforcing the new law while also being as invasive as possible. Parents should be way more freaked out by this invasion of privacy than the potential of trans girls playing with cis girls. And on that note, the intergoogles says there are next to no trans athletes in FL, so every girl is being forced to do this if they want to play sports despite it not being an issue, at all. Iirc the governor of Utah vetoed similar legislation because he was only aware of four trans athletes in the state. 

Archived