US Politics: Oh Dearie, Dearie me.

A Horse Named Stranger

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

I hope not.  The dip wads pushing this puerile policy don’t understand female physiology at all.   If they are trying to identify transgender girls because they don’t have menses, they are on the wrong track. 

Various physical ailments can cause stoppage of periods.  With the  normal variation of when girls start, some girls might not have periods when the dip wads think they should.  

What next?  Official panty sniffing?

Jfc, this is sick. 

37 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, my first thought was that it sounded like an ineffective way to go about enforcing the new law while also being as invasive as possible. Parents should be way more freaked out by this invasion of privacy than the potential of trans girls playing with cis girls. And on that note, the intergoogles says there are next to no trans athletes in FL, so every girl is being forced to do this if they want to play sports despite it not being an issue, at all. Iirc the governor of Utah vetoed similar legislation because he was only aware of four trans athletes in the state. 

The primary incentive for such laws is discouraging girls from participating in group based athletic events. 

@Tywin et al. After reading your post it seems that the trans panic is being used to attempt to control and humiliate teenage girls.  I hope their parents don’t stand for this harassment and cruelty and stomp this very bad idea into the ground.  But Florida—who knows. 

35 minutes ago, Firebrand Jace said:

The primary incentive for such laws is discouraging girls from participating in group based athletic events. 

Doubtful. I don't think they care at all about it. 

34 minutes ago, LongRider said:

@Tywin et al. After reading your post it seems that the trans panic is being used to attempt to control and humiliate teenage girls.  I hope their parents don’t stand for this harassment and cruelty and stomp this very bad idea into the ground.  But Florida—who knows. 

This seems more likely, along with it being a test case to see just how far they can push it. The thing I always find confusing though is the number of women who are happy to go along with prepressing themselves. 

Also, @Gorn:

I promise you >95% of Republicans agree with this, and setting the bar at 95% seems low. 

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Is there a subspecies of mosquitos that only attack other mosquitos? 

Asking for a friend. 

I wonder if accusing Oz of quackery is a negative or a positive for the Oz campaign. Given the apparent disdain that has built up since 2020 for big pharma and big med, accusations of being outside of the mainstream of medicine might be a point in Oz's favour, among those who are open to being convinced to vote for him.

Its somewhat akin to Steve Bannon proclaiming that if the left wants to call him racist he welcomes it and wears it as a badge of honour.

A GOP insider on the Republicans who knew Trump was dangerous — and went MAGA anyway
A conversation with ex-GOP operative Tim Miller about how Trumpism swallowed the Republican Party whole.

https://www.vox.com/2022/10/4/23386159/tim-miller-trump-maga-republicans-stefanik

It’s really depressing. The characters in the book, almost all of them, with one or two exceptions, in the second half about the Trump era, go along with it anyway.

So the question is, why? This is gross in a different way, but you almost want it to be because they’ve really bought the bullshit about how we need to have a secure border to help wages. Or they just are so hard line on protecting fetuses or so hard line on whatever.

And some of those people exist in real America. But in the DC class? None of ’em, and that includes the named people in the book. I also interviewed a bunch of people I didn’t name and nobody — nobody — got passionate talking about any policy issue. That’s all a feint, it’s all bullshit.

The only time I would sense any emotion in their voice when they were explaining why they went along with Trump, besides the banal careerist reasons, was that they’ve really started to really not like you, Sean. I mean, not you, but, like, your people, right? The liberal media elites — they’ve developed a very deep well of hatred and resentment and jealousy of them.

I imagine everyone came to that conclusion about fair weather Trumpists the day after Trump became President and every Republican critic of Trump suddenly became his #1 fan. They never drank the Kool Aid, but they sure as hell knew they needed to start serving it up and behave like they have guzzled more of it than anyone else.

Justice Clarence Thomas on Tuesday gave the Justice Department until Oct. 11 to respond to a petition filed by former President Donald Trump's lawyers for an emergency Supreme Court order restoring a special master's authority over classified documents seized from Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in August.

The request escalates the dispute over the powers of the independent arbiter appointed to inspect the records, potentially making it easier for Trump to pursue his claim the documents shouldn't be used by the Justice Department to prepare a criminal case against him because they're subject to executive privilege, because he declassified them before leaving office and for other reasons.

https://patch.com/district-columbia/washingtondc/justice-thomas-gives-doj-deadline-after-trump-asks-court-intervene

In other supreme court case news, here's the Onion: https://www.theguardian.com/law/2022/oct/04/the-onion-defends-right-to-parody-in-very-real-supreme-court-brief-supporting-local-satirist

The outlet is concerned about the outcome of a case it describes in a headline: “Ohio Police Officers Arrest, Prosecute Man Who Made Fun of Them on Facebook”. It sounds like an Onion headline, the filing points out, but it’s not.

On 10/4/2022 at 11:21 AM, IheartIheartTesla said:

My theory is that the strengths/weaknesses of the candidates for Governor will push Fetterman and Walker over the finish line. Split ticket voting doesnt occur all that much (although in GA 1% can make a huge difference) and Kemp's strength will play a big part (along with whatever voting shenanigans they pull)

I dunno 2020 saw a surprising amount of ticket splitting between the presidential and congressional races.  I agree that Wisconsin looks more and more like a long shot, but Warnock has actually performed quite well in recent polls - much more so than the polling in August - and remember Georgia is not a state that overestimated Dem performance, even underestimated it in the 2020 runoffs.

18 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

@ThinkerX I have no idea why Garland hasn't searched the other lairs yet.

Because he's obviously an incompetent or corrupt. I, and all of you, owe Senator McConnell an apology. Clearly this man never should have been nominated to any legal posting, let alone one for life.

Kavanaugh may be disgusting, but he does what he was hired to do (put us womens in our place). Basic job competency is worth more than apathetic deference to fucking traitors. 

Garland as AG is example 2,349,318 of Democrats tripping over themselves today to lose last years war tomorrow

1 hour ago, Firebrand Jace said:

Because he's obviously an incompetent or corrupt...

Firebrand Jace -- IKR; Merrick can't let the God Emperor keep getting away with things!

2 hours ago, Firebrand Jace said:

Because he's obviously an incompetent or corrupt. I, and all of you, owe Senator McConnell an apology. Clearly this man never should have been nominated to any legal posting, let alone one for life.

Kavanaugh may be disgusting, but he does what he was hired to do (put us womens in our place). Basic job competency is worth more than apathetic deference to fucking traitors. 

Garland as AG is example 2,349,318 of Democrats tripping over themselves today to lose last years war tomorrow

Wasn't it Gorsuch, who was nominated to stolen the seat? Thought Justice Beer-pong was nominated for Kennedy's seat.

This website offers some nice ideas for inoffensive activism in the suburbs and beyond:

https://redwine.blue/

As for Garland... Yeah, I know we're supposed to think he's awesome, now that he's finally showing some signs of activity, and we should go on twitter and post BOOM!, but, well... I'm skeptical, to say the least.

17 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

This website offers some nice ideas for inoffensive activism in the suburbs and beyond:

https://redwine.blue/

As for Garland... Yeah, I know we're supposed to think he's awesome, now that he's finally showing some signs of activity, and we should go on twitter and post BOOM!, but, well... I'm skeptical, to say the least.

Mindwalker -- nah, no need to worry. Everything will turn out fine; Merrick will indict the God Emperor when the time is right, finally putting an end to his reign of terror, thus ensuring Uncle Joe wins reelection.

/serious

Archived