US Politics: Oh Dearie, Dearie me.

A Horse Named Stranger

Fuck the Saudis, if we're abandoning our pretenses I want an American-Persian alliance. Give Iraq and Afghanistan into the custody of the new King of Kings (crowned by Nancy Pelosi), call it a salvaged century. 

That or complete backing of the Turks. They can have Syria, Iraq, and Egypt. Libya and Tunisia too.  Full reinstatement of all non-european claims from the empire of the Romans as benefit of American friendship. 

(Since we're pre-setting our HoI4 national focuses, I thought I'd share mine)

8 minutes ago, Firebrand Jace said:

Fuck the Saudis, if we're abandoning our pretenses I want an American-Persian alliance. Give Iraq and Afghanistan into the custody of the new King of Kings (crowned by Nancy Pelosi), call it a salvaged century. 

That or complete backing of the Turks. They can have Syria, Iraq, and Egypt. Libya and Tunisia too.  Full reinstatement of all non-european claims from the empire of the Romans as benefit of American friendship. 

(Since we're pre-setting our HoI4 national focuses, I thought I'd share mine)

The dead journalist is a beef between Bezos and MBS, if he wasnt working for Bezos noone would even no about the case.

Its not worth losing one American manafacturing job over or overpaying on one energy bill. Worse stuff happens daily around the globe but theyve taken this one case to manafacture dissent and create a bogeyman over cuz reasons, namely butthurt rich guy that owns a paper.

4 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The dead journalist is a beef between Bezos and MBS, if he wasnt working for Bezos noone would even no about the case.

Its not worth losing one American manafacturing job over or overpaying on one energy bill. Worse stuff happens daily around the globe but theyve taken this one case to manafacture dissent and create a bogeyman over cuz reasons, namely butthurt rich guy that owns a paper.

Journalism is a relic that's ready for the grave anyway.

Who needs reporting when reality is subjective?

Fanone shares some of his experiences with GOP law makers post that failed coup. I think if you offered him a charity Boxing or MMA match against Graham, he would sign up to it, no questions asked, no referees allowed.

Frank Wilhoit: “Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” This seems increasingly true.

— Jeet Heer (@HeerJeet) May 31, 2018

https://slate.com/business/2022/06/wilhoits-law-conservatives-frank-wilhoit.html

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Jamal Khashoggi's murder was such a big deal not because he was "Bezos' journalist," but because he was one of the most influential Arab journalist-commentators in the western world that also worked for The Washington Post.  The fact Bezos owns WaPo is rather incidental.

43 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

"Anti-white racism".  There's going to be a Gabbard-Carlson 2028 GOP ticket running on like, outlawing islam, book burning, forced birth, and white reparations.  

Do you really think a woman-hater like Carlson will accept Gabbard as the top of the ticket?  I don't think Carson will go for any of that woke feminism shit, he's top of the ticket or no go.

@Ormond, you might be interested in this article from the Guardian that details the difference between Republican and Democrat fundraising emails (of course, I have only been subject to the latter, though I must say the article appears to accurately depict the different philosophies in a very humorous way): https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/09/republican-democrat-political-fundraising-emails

If Republican messaging aligns with Lakoff’s “strict father” worldview, Democrats’ touchy-feely messaging fits his description of the progressive mindset, which he calls “nurturant parent”

As for the more complex language involved in Democratic messages, Lakoff says, “Democrats tend to assume what I call Cartesian rationality: that is that you should be able to reason things out. And they give you reasons for things and then it takes some reasoning to get there. The Republicans tend to just say, ‘This is how it is.’”

3 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

@Ormond, you might be interested in this article from the Guardian that details the difference between Republican and Democrat fundraising emails (of course, I have only been subject to the latter, though I must say the article appears to accurately depict the different philosophies in a very humorous way): https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/09/republican-democrat-political-fundraising-emails

Thanks, that really does describe my experience with the emails from the two parties as well. About the only thing that seems really prominent to me that was not mentioned are all the fake "surveys" and "polls", where they ask you to answer a bunch of questions which are designed to get you angry and/or frightened that lead up to a request for a donation -- and which obviously aren't real surveys since in most cases they won't even take the answers you've given unless you do donate. I despise these from both sides -- but the Republican ones are usually even more obnoxious, with the request to take the survey often phrased in those "stern father" ways the article you linked to mentioned (Why haven't you sent in your answers yet? Are you still a Republican?"). 

50 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

I have been getting buried beneath R fundraising emails lately. Mostly from, Trump, Rubio, 'Ron Jon' - his sound especially desperate, Blake Masters, Scott, and Walker, plus others I think of as 'generic.'

Open question, are people for or against only being able to fundraise from people that can actually vote for you?

Tulsi officially, and quite melodramatically, leaves the Dem party because wokeism. I hardly remembered she ever identified as Dem (I hardly remember her, period), but my point, and I do have one: Say hi to your next VP!

ETA: nvm, I see it's been mentioned already...

And yes, I still think Tucker wants to run very badly, she'd serve him just as well as she would Trump: as a pseudo rational, pseudo moderate fig leaf.

Archived