US Politics: Oh Dearie, Dearie me.

A Horse Named Stranger

Just now, Firebrand Jace said:

It's like there are two of me now! Which means there's like fifteen of me!

Firebrand Jace -- nah, you're unique; absolutely, undoubtedly, undeniably ... :smoking:unique :pimp:

unique [yoo-neek]

adjective

1 existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics

a unique copy of an ancient manuscript.

2 having no like or equal; unparalleled; incomparable

Bach was unique in his handling of counterpoint.

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Also, apparently Steny Hoyer checked into the hotel I work at tonight, though I haven't seen him. Who wants to touch me?

Jaxom 1974 -- :wub:

8 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Personally, I have zero interest or need for weed...but I certainly have come around to the idea of just legalizing it and treating it like alcohol. Let there be the pot shops and such...get some honest to goodness tax revenue out of it at least.  

I entirely agree.  But make sure the same rules about smoking in public places for Tobacco applies for marijuana.  That shit smells nasty.

13 hours ago, DMC said:

Not only that, whomever is elected in 2024 to finish up his term is sure to be worse.

There's a lot of speculation now that Ricketts might appoint himself to the seat. I almost hope he does, since I remember reading years ago that governors who appoint themselves to the Senate are actually more likely to lose the ensuing election than not. I wonder if there really is enough data to reliably conclude that?

Biggest question in Nebraska politics: Does Pete Ricketts want to be a U.S. senator? (omaha.com)

17 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I almost hope he does, since I remember reading years ago that governors who appoint themselves to the Senate are actually more likely to lose the ensuing election than not. I wonder if there really is enough data to reliably conclude that?

Here's an article on it.  It's 13 years old, but I'm fairly certain no governors have appointed themselves since...indeed, quickly checking the list, none have - albeit a couple lieutenant governors have been appointed between Brian Schatz and Tina Smith (ETA:  Oh, and John Walsh).  Anyway, you're right, the results are quite discouraging - but I wouldn't put too much stock in that.  Seems very coincidental and from a very different era.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I entirely agree.  But make sure the same rules about smoking in public places for Tobacco applies for marijuana.  That shit smells nasty.

Y’all gummy, and brownie, and whatever other edible all you want.  You go.  But I too wish I didn’t have to smell so much pot smoke.  It is one of those things that makes me immediately nauseated.  This has been true since, well, I was a petite mam’selle, and not the grizzled madame I actually am today.  Like, you go NYC for decriminalizing something dumb, but you know, not on the subway cars please?

Last Saturday I had to move to another part of the stadium than usual at football game (I was late and stadium was packed, and I don't have a seat, but I stand), folks arond me in that part of the stadium were also smoking non-tobacco. So I spend around 2 hours veiled in weed smoke. Made me kinda nostalgic. Personally, I dislike tobacco smoke way more.

Anyway, you are allowed to smoke on trains? 

18 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Last Saturday I had to move to another part of the stadium than usual at football game (I was late and stadium was packed, and I don't have a seat, but I stand), folks arond me in that part of the stadium were also smoking non-tobacco. So I spend around 2 hours veiled in weed smoke. Made me kinda nostalgic. Personally, I dislike tobacco smoke way more.

Anyway, you are allowed to smoke on trains? 

Not as far as I’m aware.  That sounds disgusting.

14 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Personally, I have zero interest or need for weed...but I certainly have come around to the idea of just legalizing it and treating it like alcohol. Let there be the pot shops and such...get some honest to goodness tax revenue out of it at least.  

It’s amazing here, there are pot shops on every block. And whenever I walk around playing Pokémon, no matter what time of day, the air is redolent with the scent of the stuff. Especially when I walk around the park at night. 

Of course there’s still a big underground market because the legal sellers have to mark up their prices to pay rent, taxes and make a profit. And you’re allowed to grow a personal supply as well.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

The entire Uvalde police force has been suspended.

That sounds like a damn good start.

It seems that this was only the Uvalde Consolidated Independent School district Police Department.  Not the entire Uvalde Town police department:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63180739.amp

Old Newt knows, that's how it happens. You get hit in the head, then suddenly you're having all sorts of affairs, and eventually procuring abortions. No legal weed involved.

“Fellow adulterer” Newt Gingrich called out for defending “family man” Herschel Walker
Gingrich said Walker is the most important Senate candidate in the country because of “deep commitment to Christ"

https://www.salon.com/2022/10/05/fellow-adulterer-newt-gingrich-called-out-for-defending-family-man-herschel-walker_partner/

But despite the facts, Gingrich still described Walker as a "remarkable person."

"He's been through a long, tough period," Gingrich said. "He had a lot of concussions coming out of football, he suffered PTSD."

Gingrich's remarks quickly drew critical reactions from social media users who took the time to dissect his claims.

"Newt Gingrich: Herschel Walker, whose brain was damaged a bunch by football, should be in the Senate because of his deep commitment to Christ -- so he can replace an actual reverend," one Twitter user tweeted.

"Pretty shameless of FOX to march out Newt to talk about a fellow adulterer's 'commitment to Christ,'" another user tweeted.

34 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

“Fellow adulterer” Newt Gingrich called out for defending “family man” Herschel Walker
Gingrich said Walker is the most important Senate candidate in the country because of “deep commitment to Christ"

Christ sure does some heavy lifting with today’s GQP, no wonder he’s always broke and needs money.  Must be exhausting. 

42 minutes ago, Ormond said:

No one deserves to be have their name used for mockery. 

My name is literally synonymous with mediocrity in US pop culture and lingo. I get the point you're making, but life goes on.  

I feel worse for my dad's HS classmate, Dick Hertz. 

44 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Christ sure does some heavy lifting with today’s GQP, no wonder he’s always broke and needs money.  Must be exhausting. 

Jesus is a deadbeat and Republicans hate welfare. File it somewhere in the same facility the government is keeping the Ark of the Covenant in when it comes to religious hypocrisy. 

Archived