Jump to content

US Politics: Oh Dearie, Dearie me.


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

A few days ago I mentioned something similar happening in Florida. Next up, the academic heavy hitter that is Idaho:

 

Every red state will looks like this within a few months if I had to guess. 

When this goes to the Supreme Court, will even the most conservative originalist tie themselves into knots to justify it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quite a good explanation from Raskin on why the Electoral College is bad and needs to be gone. But will enough states really pass the NPV legislation to nullify the EC? How close / far away is it now?

What's with the playing on the phone in the background the whole time? Who are these people? Are the meant to be support crew for Raskin? If so they should be sitting there pretending to be totally riveted by what he's saying and nodding enthusiastically every time he brings up a new point, rather than looking totally bored except when they are busy using their phones.

If they are journalists, I guess mostly ignoring what is being said is perhaps to be expected.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, maarsen said:

When this goes to the Supreme Court, will even the most conservative originalist tie themselves into knots to justify it?

Sure. Originalism means whatever one wants it to mean at any given point or time. There's no ideological consistency to the philosophy. And in this instance they'll probably just back their political side because they're politicians at the end of the day. 

I always thought the balls and strikes example judges gave used for ages is so lazy because Angel Hernandez exists...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2022 at 4:16 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Looks like Trumpanista candidate JR Majewski is in a bit of a pickle over “stolen valor” accusations.  He claims he served in combat in Afghanistan but none of his DoD records reflect a deployment to Afghanistan (he did load and unload plains while in the US Air Force in Qatar) he now claims there is no record of his time in Afghanistan because his service there was “classified”… and he’s talking about it publicly:

 

I was watching him talk about his "experiences" with deployment the other day on the Majority Report. It's hilarious. What a piece of shit. I know this will effect him zero with the base.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I was watching him talk about his "experiences" with deployment the other day on the Majority Report. It's hilarious. What a piece of shit. I know this will effect him zero with the base.

That’s not true.  Plenty of Veterans who tend right get apoplectic about “stolen valor”.  This will hurt Majewski a lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just heard about Ken Paxton (Texas AG) running away from a process server in a truck driven by his wife, who is some sort of state senator. Not clear why he ran, some argle-bargle about him feeling threatened; but these kinds of shenanigans are always hilarious to me, particularly from GoP elected officials. Their base should be demanding better representatives for themselves, not these sorry clowns.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Woo!  This line could have come straight out of protagonist Big Guy'$ mouth in the supposed satirical novel, The Unfolding, by A. N. Homes:

... Trump’s remark that he has “so many rich friends, and nobody knows who they are.” ....
 

From a NYT tv section story that runs down Stephen Colbert's takes from Haberman's (that creep con that NPR just keeps lickspittling) book.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Just heard about Ken Paxton (Texas AG) running away from a process server in a truck driven by his wife, who is some sort of state senator. Not clear why he ran, some argle-bargle about him feeling threatened; but these kinds of shenanigans are always hilarious to me, particularly from GoP elected officials. Their base should be demanding better representatives for themselves, not these sorry clowns.

After the fucking shit fit they threw when Texas Democrats fled Texas to deny the Texas legislature a quorum to restrict voting…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

$250k paid out to a firm owned by the guy who runs it's brother.  Lol this dude Rivero is blocking anyone who comments in this or shares it.   

I've seen Occupy Democrats around twitter and have not been impressed.  Turns out they were using 45's model of running a PAC...fleece the rubes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

:rofl:    But, but, 3 million dollars!

Quote

 

CNN — 

The newest addition to former President Donald Trump’s legal team, Chris Kise, has been sidelined from the Mar-a-Lago documents investigation less than a month after he was brought on to represent Trump in the matter, two sources familiar with the move tell CNN.

Kise is expected to remain on Trump’s legal team but is not leading the work related to the federal government’s investigation into how the former President handled 11,000 documents seized from his Florida home in August following a lengthy effort by the government to retrieve them. The reason for the shift in Kise’s role remains unclear and he may instead focus his efforts on the other investigations Trump is facing, which range from his business practices to the January 6 insurrection

 

Chris Kise: Newest addition to Trump's legal team sidelined in Mar-a-Lago search case | CNN Politics

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

I'm genuinely surprised. I guess it's not a final vote, but this seems like another potential big-ish deal, though it's pretty narrow in scope.

I'm not surprised McConnell endorsed it, but I am surprised it apparently has 22 Republican votes in the Senate.  The last I checked, Collins and Manchin had lined up 10 Republican co-sponsors (in addition to McConnell).  Anyone know where WaPo is getting that 22 votes figure from (I can't view the article)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could be the reichlicans are lining up to keep off any electoral challenges/investigations when they steal '24. :whip:

 

~~~~~

Tomorrow's Jan 6 Investigative Committee hearing postponed due to Hurricane Ian.

Edited by Zorral
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'm not surprised McConnell endorsed it, but I am surprised it apparently has 22 Republican votes in the Senate.  The last I checked, Collins and Manchin had lined up 10 Republican co-sponsors (in addition to McConnell).  Anyone know where WaPo is getting that 22 votes figure from (I can't view the article)?

22 Republicans _and_ Democrats. It's 11 of each.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...