US Politics: Oh Dearie, Dearie me.

A Horse Named Stranger

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

Trump, in court: "Judge Dearie is really mean to me! How can I possibly assess all the documents when I stole so many?!"

I bet Cannon will find a way to help him out.

Aaand, here we go:

Judge again sides with Trump in Mar-a-Lago documents fight

Cannon, a Trump appointee based in Fort Pierce, Fla., essentially adopted a slower timeline proposed by Trump’s attorney for the document review to be conducted by Dearie, who is based in Brooklyn. Under Cannon’s new order, the review and her handling of any objections to Dearie’s rulings will almost certainly stretch into the new year.

In addition, Cannon rejected Dearie’s plan to require Trump to say at the outset of the review whether he believes the FBI’s inventory of seized materials is faulty, either by omitting items that were seized, including items that were not seized or both. Trump has repeatedly suggested, without offering evidence, that the FBI planted evidence at his home during the court-ordered search...

Under Cannon’s ruling, Trump will be allowed to raise such concerns later in the process. Cannon also wiped out Dearie’s plan to break the documents into sets and handle objections on a rolling basis. Instead, there will be one deadline — which is likely to arrive in early November — by which Trump’s side must state which specific documents it believes are subject to attorney-client privilege or executive privilege as well as which he believes qualify as presidential records or personal records under the terms of the Presidential Records Act...

Cannon’s ruling aligns with Trump’s preferred schedule, contemplating Dearie finishing his work by December 16. She would then take up objections by either side to the special master’s rulings in a process that seems destined to spill over into 2023.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/29/judge-again-sides-with-trump-in-mar-a-lago-documents-fight-00059644

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

Aaand, here we go:

Judge again sides with Trump in Mar-a-Lago documents fight

Cannon, a Trump appointee based in Fort Pierce, Fla., essentially adopted a slower timeline proposed by Trump’s attorney for the document review to be conducted by Dearie, who is based in Brooklyn. Under Cannon’s new order, the review and her handling of any objections to Dearie’s rulings will almost certainly stretch into the new year.

In addition, Cannon rejected Dearie’s plan to require Trump to say at the outset of the review whether he believes the FBI’s inventory of seized materials is faulty, either by omitting items that were seized, including items that were not seized or both. Trump has repeatedly suggested, without offering evidence, that the FBI planted evidence at his home during the court-ordered search...

Under Cannon’s ruling, Trump will be allowed to raise such concerns later in the process. Cannon also wiped out Dearie’s plan to break the documents into sets and handle objections on a rolling basis. Instead, there will be one deadline — which is likely to arrive in early November — by which Trump’s side must state which specific documents it believes are subject to attorney-client privilege or executive privilege as well as which he believes qualify as presidential records or personal records under the terms of the Presidential Records Act...

Cannon’s ruling aligns with Trump’s preferred schedule, contemplating Dearie finishing his work by December 16. She would then take up objections by either side to the special master’s rulings in a process that seems destined to spill over into 2023.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/29/judge-again-sides-with-trump-in-mar-a-lago-documents-fight-00059644

He hasn't been charged with anything yet, right? He's just gotta declare that candidacy before they file the charges, according to Comey 

eta: and Mueller

It's been very weird these last few days hearing this turkey on the radio acting normal. I have a feeling though that the right sunglasses will reveal him as an alien.

Opinion | Ron DeSantis Shows Some Good Manners
Hurricane Ian seems to have temporarily tamed the combative Florida governor.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/09/29/hurricane-ian-ron-desantis-00059600

Think of DeSantis’ performance not only as a hurdle to clear on his way to reelection but as a tryout for the White House, a position he so clearly lusts for; it’s a moment to demonstrate compassion if not competence. (And when it comes to Biden, DeSantis is truly in need of federal help. Feuding with the man who holds the key to Florida’s relief wouldn’t just look childish but could undermine his state’s recovery.)

12 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

It's been very weird these last few days hearing this turkey on the radio acting normal. I have a feeling though that the right sunglasses will reveal him as an alien.

I didn't read the article but I have to begrudgingly say he's been on the ball.  When I woke up on Monday when the freakout started, I checked the local news and there the fuckhead was conducting a press conference informing the public.  And on Tuesday when it looked like the storm shifted he was in Sarasota doing the same.  It seems he took a lesson from Dubya and Katrina - as well as, of course, viewing it as a tryout for a presidential campaign.  At least at this point, it's hard to say he didn't serve himself well in that regard.

9 hours ago, DMC said:

I didn't read the article but I have to begrudgingly say he's been on the ball.  When I woke up on Monday when the freakout started, I checked the local news and there the fuckhead was conducting a press conference informing the public.  And on Tuesday when it looked like the storm shifted he was in Sarasota doing the same.  It seems he took a lesson from Dubya and Katrina - as well as, of course, viewing it as a tryout for a presidential campaign.  At least at this point, it's hard to say he didn't serve himself well in that regard.

I wish all politicians would stop with the performative shit and do their fucking jobs.  Politics should be boring.  It is seriously work about making the Nation, State, or Locality function properly.  It’s boring.  It shouldn’t be “spicy”.  This is what comes from electing a fucking “reality Television star” President.  Everyone wants to fight for the spotlight.

Bring back boring times where politics was for nerds.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I wish all politicians would stop with the performative shit and do their fucking jobs.  Politics should be boring.  It is seriously work about making the Nation, State, or Locality function properly.  It’s boring.  It shouldn’t be “spicy”.  This is what comes from electing a fucking “reality Television star” President.  Everyone wants to fight for the spotlight.

Well, what I'm talking about here is DeSantis being present and concerned, trying to reassure his constituents that he cares and will do everything within his power to make sure they'll be alright.  That is what a political leader should do in a crisis.  It certainly is performative, but that's part of the job. 

Again, I don't like saying it, but I can't criticize him for his response in that regard - he's done well.  Which goes to a point a lot of people have been saying during his rise - he's more dangerous than Trump because he's actually competent.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Well, what I'm talking about here is DeSantis being present and concerned, trying to reassure his constituents that he cares and will do everything within his power to make sure they'll be alright.  That is what a political leader should do in a crisis.  It certainly is performative, but that's part of the job. 

Again, I don't like saying it, but I can't criticize him for his response in that regard - he's done well.  Which goes to a point a lot of people have been saying during his rise - he's more dangerous than Trump because he's actually competent.

I’m well aware of just how dangerous DeSantis is.  He scares me to the core because he knows how States work and how to use the power of the State to increase his own power.

Here is the latest NRSC fundraising email that I am sharing with you all just because they told me not to. By the way, I also get emails regularly from several Democratic organizations and candidates. Some of them unfortunately also use the "fake survey" ploy (which I despise) to try to get you to donate, but none of them ever tell you that you must fill this out within the next 30 minutes, as Trump and the NRSC often do. To my mind this makes them seem even more desperate.

Ck,

America cannot withstand two more years of radical Left-wing Democrats in charge. 

It’s simple. If Democrats win this November and expand their Majority in the Senate, our country will be LOST forever. 

Democrats will TAKE our guns.
Democrats will SHUT DOWN our free speech rights.
Democrats will brainwash our kids. 
Democrats will DISMANTLE our freedoms as we know it. 

This is all avoidable, but only if AMERICAN citizens stand up and defend our precious Constitutional RIGHTS and freedom. 

Our team just exited a major Senate Strategy session, and reviewed responses to the Official Verified Citizens-Only 2022 Questionnaire but YOUR city's response was missing. This is unacceptable. If we’re going to have a country worth fighting for, we need EVERY patriot to stand with us.

We are EXTENDING your deadline to respond to your personal (and private) link for the Official Verified Citizens-Only 2022 Questionnaire for 30 minutes. Don’t wait. Our FREEDOMS are at stake.

Please privately complete the Official Verified Citizens-Only 2022 Questionnaire within the next 30 minutes and STOP the Left from PERMANENTLY destroying our country. >>

https://image.email.nrsc.org/lib/fe2611717164057a7d1378/m/1/51c39c45-1bc1-4127-81f3-5a710ec1b4c1.png

Thank you, 

President Trump Update

39 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Bring back boring times where politics was for nerds.

I agree with DMC here- the government agencies certainly should be doing that boring, serious stuff and we hope that the politicians go along with their advice most of the time.  But performances are in a politicians job description.  When getting information out to the public, as much as I wished it was otherwise, a lot of folks are more likely to heed advice coming from the governor than the head of NOAA. As a better example, look at Zelensky- almost everything he does is performative in nature, and he's been an incredible asset for Ukraine. 

24 minutes ago, horangi said:

I agree with DMC here- the government agencies certainly should be doing that boring, serious stuff and we hope that the politicians go along with their advice most of the time.  But performances are in a politicians job description.  When getting information out to the public, as much as I wished it was otherwise, a lot of folks are more likely to heed advice coming from the governor than the head of NOAA. As a better example, look at Zelensky- almost everything he does is performative in nature, and he's been an incredible asset for Ukraine. 

I see your point.  However rallying a Nation at war is somewhat different from whipping up a nation to go to war or attack an internal minority.  It is the latter examples I see as negatively performative.  It was Trump’s specialty.

9 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I see your point.  However rallying a Nation at war is somewhat different from whipping up a nation to go to war or attack an internal minority.  It is the latter examples I see as negatively performative.  It was Trump’s specialty.

If you want to change that you're going to have to change people.  We react more strongly to someone colorful, entertaining, emotional or sensational rather than to boring facts, information, or logic.  People don't want to vote for some stick-in-the-mud bureaucrat or policy wonk.

17 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

If you want to change that you're going to have to change people.  We react more strongly to someone colorful, entertaining, emotional or sensational rather than to boring facts, information, or logic.  People don't want to vote for some stick-in-the-mud bureaucrat or policy wonk.

Populism… pisses me off.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

We should want competent boring people who are good at their jobs.  Not jackasses who brag about “pussy grabbing”…

Well, sure, but that's not populism.  Populism would be playing off an idea of "the people" vs "the elite".  Trump might be a populist but that's not why we elect smooth talking people who make us feel good instead of voting based on competence.  

Archived