Tennis thread 10: Federer's emotional goodbye

Calibandar

On 1/21/2023 at 5:55 PM, 3CityApache said:

It’s a very interesting last sixteen in men’s draw. I can’t remember so many unseeded and non-obvious choice players at that stage. 

Of course it all doesn’t really matter, as Djokovic is gonna blow them all away, unless the injury gets the better of him. 

In women’s draw, on the other hand, surprisingly low number of surprises so far. Number 1, 3, 4, 5, and 7 seeds are still playing!

Definitely very interesting. Korda had a superb run up to the tournament and very narrowly lost to Djokovic in the Adelaide final where he had the best play really. Now he has continued that and just ejected Medveded, and Hurkacz as well ( who unfortunately beat Shapo in 5, too solid I guess).

De Minaur has been in great form, might make it hard on Djokovic.

Ben Shelton vs JJ Wolf, 2 young Americans.

Sinner just knocked out in 5 sets by Tsitsipas. Holger Rune, co-sensation of 2022 with Alcaraz, is still in the tournament.

Forgot to mention Tommy Paul, very attractive style of play on him, have been watching his game the last 2 years.

Edited by Calibandar

Sad thing is prior to the anti-vax shit he was incredibly likable. Or at least was really funny. 

I've said the over/under on slams should be 25. He'll be the most decorated, but never the best in my eyes. And he's just boring to watch. Feds and Nadal gave you a show. The former was the definition of beauty, grace and a true artist, the latter fought for every inch until you could kill him. Novak by comparison has been uninteresting on the court. Great serve, best return ever and then wait you out, and did it mostly after Feds and Nadal were done physically without anyone younger to really challenge him. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

So are we going to talk about how Novak needs the hard courts, specifically the one played in extreme heat? Half his titles basically come from it. :P

Extreme heat bit isn't particularly applicable to the Australian Open this year. Has been a very mild (and wet) summer. The final would've been played in approx 20C (68F), or a little lower.

15 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sad thing is prior to the anti-vax shit he was incredibly likable.

He really wasn't. He was a massive prick much sooner than that, sadly. Every time things didn't go his way he was being a dick towards his team, and his views were unhinged years before pandemic.

On 1/29/2023 at 5:02 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Sad thing is prior to the anti-vax shit he was incredibly likable. Or at least was really funny. 

I've said the over/under on slams should be 25. He'll be the most decorated, but never the best in my eyes. And he's just boring to watch. Feds and Nadal gave you a show. The former was the definition of beauty, grace and a true artist, the latter fought for every inch until you could kill him. Novak by comparison has been uninteresting on the court. Great serve, best return ever and then wait you out, and did it mostly after Feds and Nadal were done physically without anyone younger to really challenge him. 

I do think that sells short his performances. He certainly played Nadal throughout Nadal's entire prime, and a part of Federer's prime as well.

He was overwhelmingly the best player at this Aussie Open. It was a guarantee he would win the quarter final, you never doubted he would beat Paul or Tsitsipas. When Alcaraz withdrew his main challenger was out. On top of that Korda, who looked so strong so far, got injured. When Medvedev lost I knew his last challenger was gone.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Rafa is out of French open and Wimbledon. 

Just retire mate, you aren't going to be able to walk when you are 50.

I wonder what they have to shoot his foot up with and that's not even the issue here. He should have walked off after winning the French last year.

• 2 weeks later...

There's always some headscratchers. Medvedev going down was a big surprise. 

ETA: I never like rooting against anyone from France or Argentina, the WC Final was weird, but Monfils is showing heart. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

Rune and Cerundolo are putting on a show. Five set at tiebreaks and both are blasting it. 

ETA: Rune survives in an epic match. I don't think he was better, but he was when he needed to be. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

I agree, the semifinal against Djoko should give us some answers as to his mental toughness as well. But from what I saw yesterday, he should win it decidedly.

Much, much weaker lower half of the draw.

In the women's side last year's final repeat in QF, would be surprised if the outcome was different, but you never know. If it comes to Świątek - Sabalenka final, it would be very interesting to see if Iga can prevail on her home turf. If not, Sabalenka clearly deserves her #1 spot.

And so no Świątek - Sabalenka final after all. Epic match between Muchova and Sabalenka. Iga also had to work really hard in the second set to overcome Haddad-Maia. It still should be interesting final.

Hope Alcaraz will confirm his endless abilities today.

Iga the invincible. 

I feel bad for Muchova. She's hitting so many great balls that are just slightly wide or long and the wind isn't helping. 

ETA: Thought I might have jinxed Iga. She was up 3-0 in the second when I wrote that. Muchova did an incredible job coming back and had a chance to take it in the third. She was the more impressive player after the first set. Hopefully this gives her ranking a massive boost and she can be a contender in tournaments to come.

I'm calling it now, if she stays healthy Iga will easily win more than 10 slams. She's one of one right now on the women's side.

Edited by Tywin et al.