Tennis thread 10: Federer's emotional goodbye

Calibandar

44 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Test that theory. Without looking do you know who won the vuelta a espana last year? 

Never heard of that. 

ETA: I should clarify, I may have heard it mentioned at some point in time, but it means nothing to me and 99.9% of Americans have probably never heard of it. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

23 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Americans arent crazy about tennis, but then again, with the possible exception of Serbia no other nation is.

Serbia is crazy about tennis because of Djokovic, and will stop being crazy about it when he retires unless another Serbian player who wins as much comes along.

We love success. That's it.

22 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

None outside of the Olympics. Next to no one here cares about cycling either, but put that flag on someone who wins the Tour de France and they'll celebrate them afterwards. 

In tennis you have a competition at higher level of Olympics four times per year and a slightly lower quality tournaments 10 times per year. Now imagine if a US player was the main candidate for winning many of those. I'm quite certain that tennis crowds would become bigger.

Well I certainly didn't expect to wake up to this ass kicking. 

13 minutes ago, baxus said:

In tennis you have a competition at higher level of Olympics four times per year and a slightly lower quality tournaments 10 times per year. Now imagine if a US player was the main candidate for winning many of those. I'm quite certain that tennis crowds would become bigger.

Nobody here outside of the diehards (which is a very small group) care about anything outside of the slams and even then it's a small circle. Serena was a huge star, but her matches got minimal coverage on ESPN. Coco is in a lot of ads now, but I doubt most people who see them know her name. And on that last point, I doubt most sports fans here can even name five American players outside of the Williams sisters. They might recognize a picture of them, but that's probably it.

What we don't know though is what would happen if there was an elite player on the men's side. I still think it wouldn't have a huge impact, but you never know.

Just now, 3CityApache said:

What a change in the last possible moment. If he can pull it off, it would be an incredible come back.

I was surprised to hear he's never comeback down 2-0. His body language looked like shit in third until he got the break. 

21 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

He only played 10 five setters in his entire career. Not sure if in any of these he trailed 0-2.

Idk any good sites to look up details like this, whereas it takes me 5 seconds to look up NFL and NBA stats that are really nuanced. :dunno: Anyways, the kid is on his last life. 

And he didn't make it after all. I didn't see it coming before the match, that's for sure. Alcaraz wasn't entirely himself today, especially in the first two sets, but it was mostly Zverev playing fantastic tennis start to finnish, with the slight exception of late third set, when he got broken and then lost the tie-break.

Alcaraz didn't play well, but Zverev earned that win. I really want to see him and Sinner in the Final. 

Gauff and Zheng would be my preference on the women's side. 

5 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

And he didn't make it after all. I didn't see it coming before the match, that's for sure. Alcaraz wasn't entirely himself today, especially in the first two sets, but it was mostly Zverev playing fantastic tennis start to finnish, with the slight exception of late third set, when he got broken and then lost the tie-break.

I didnt expect a Zverev win either, though I did think he has the game to make it hard on Alcaraz as I seem to vaguely recall from their previous matches. Of course Zverev has been a legit top 5 player again since his return from injury so this does not come completely out of the blue when laid next to the pattern of erratic Alcaraz performances since Wimbledon. For whatever reason, Alcaraz has been a lot more vulnerable.

Now, this means Zverev has to beat Medvedev and Sinner beat Djokvic.

Can Zverev do that? Well historically he has a lot of problems with Medvedev and a very bad 1:1 record, but as I recall he did beat him last year in an important match. I think this is a 50:50 match.

Sinner vs Djokovic, well Sinner has been superb so far, and pre-Aussie Open has been the man to make life incredibly hard for Djokovic. I dont know how big his chances are though, very hard to estimate. The fact that Djokovic has had a few wobbly games and Sinner hasnt, means nothing, that is something we know from our extensive experience with Djokovic, he is oftentimes not a Federer-like "first 4 rounds in straight sets barreling through" guy.

42 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Sinner vs Djokovic, well Sinner has been superb so far, and pre-Aussie Open has been the man to make life incredibly hard for Djokovic. I dont know how big his chances are though, very hard to estimate. The fact that Djokovic has had a few wobbly games and Sinner hasnt, means nothing, that is something we know from our extensive experience with Djokovic, he is oftentimes not a Federer-like "first 4 rounds in straight sets barreling through" guy.

This is very true, past performances of the tournament don't mean shit with Djokovic. Where he excels virtually everyone else, is playing best the most important matches, and most important moments in those matches.

Nevertheless, if any of the other three has the chance to beat him, my money is on Sinner, even knowing perfectly well it's Medvedev who actually did beat him once already in the most important match, and decisively at that. But I feel this time Djokovic would simply tire him out physically, even HuHu was close to achieving that. On the other hand, it will be Sinner's first grand slam semi-final, and experience matters. So I don't know, perhaps Zverev after all? He really was relentless against Carlitos.