Tennis thread 10: Federer's emotional goodbye

Calibandar

Andy didn't make it after all, but there was a huge controversy at 4-4 or 5-5 in the final set, when he shot a return that was called out and he didn't challenge it, but it turned out the ball was good. If the judge didn't make a mistake or if he challenged it, he would lead 40-15 in a return game and would be on a clear path to winning the whole bloody thing.

I really think human judges should be replaced by electronic system at last, at Grand Slams at least, it's the only way to prevent such situations from happening. And especially on grass, on which the ball likes to slide unpredictibly and therefore is particularly hard to judge.

56 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Andy didn't make it after all, but there was a huge controversy at 4-4 or 5-5 in the final set, when he shot a return that was called out and he didn't challenge it, but it turned out the ball was good. If the judge didn't make a mistake or if he challenged it, he would lead 40-15 in a return game and would be on a clear path to winning the whole bloody thing.

Idk, he probably lost because he couldn't control his emotions. Joker had the same issue, but mostly got past it. Andy was screaming at his box during the last two sets today.

I really think human judges should be replaced by electronic system at last, at Grand Slams at least, it's the only way to prevent such situations from happening. And especially on grass, on which the ball likes to slide unpredictibly and therefore is particularly hard to judge.

100%. I don't get why this isn't demanded. Just take baseball for example. A strike or ball should be easy to call. Just let the robot do it. 

51 minutes ago, Poobah said:

Can't help but feel like Hurkacz threw away both of those tiebreaks. 

Yeah, it's almost insane how he's been serving brilliantly throughout the whole match, and when he just needs to win two serves in a row, he fails miserably, twice. Mentally it's probably like hitting a rock on the other side of the net. But that's why Djokovic last lost a match at Wimbledon 10 years ago.

58 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Serve has never been her strongest weapon, and second serve is actually a liability. And based on what I've seen I think Wimbledon will always be her Achilles heal. Will be surprised if she ever wins it.

She has the right height to be good at it though. I think Iga just needs to hit the gym a bit more and get stronger. She's got a lot of pop on some of her shots, but there needs to be more consistency which is true of a lot of players on both sides on tour. I'd love to see a chart of aces on first serves over the last 20 years because it feels like there's been a dip. 

The frustrating part is he's not playing that well. This next generation just simply isn't as good as what has to be seen as the golden era. Alcaraz should be favored, but not by much. Either way Joker is expected to win in the final. 

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The frustrating part is he's not playing that well. This next generation just simply isn't as good as what has to be seen as the golden era. Alcaraz should be favored, but not by much. Either way Joker is expected to win in the final. 

Idk, I haven’t seen the match against Rublev, but with Hurkacz and Sinner he has been playing some incredible tennis. He returned the balls no one has the right to return if they’re human. 

I remember when Medvedev kicked his ass in US Open final I was pretty sure he’s a done deal. And all he did was immediately step up his game.