Tennis thread 10: Federer's emotional goodbye

Calibandar

35 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Too early to say how Alcaraz will do in the long run, after all, injuries have plagued Nadal and Federer throughout their careers. 

I would argue that Federer was probably the least injury troubled top tennis player in history. The few injuries he did have were mostly when he was already out of his prime anyway.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Yeah, especially if you live in Europe. :wacko:
Iga plays today as last, it will probably be 4-5 am here. 

And that's egregious. She's the top player and should be playing in one of the timeslots between 10AM and noon so people in Poland can watch her. It wouldn't impact the ratings here at all in general and especially not right now with the holiday weekend. Meanwhile an earlier timeslot would would get a lot more eyeballs from Europe. 

It's the same issue I had with the WWC. The US had the top team and if they played in the earliest timeslot the games would be on in the evening. Instead their matches aired in the middle of the night. I just don't get these decisions considering the TV ratings are one of if not the biggest revenue drivers, especially as live sports have become the most important thing for broadcast providers.

Not particularly for me. She never defeated her before, there’s something in Ostapenko’s game that is extremely uncomfortable for Iga. Plus, she wasn’t at her best coming to NYC in the first place. 

But I see a positive side of this. The heavy pressure on her, having to defend her number one spot at all times, will come off at last. She will step down from a spotlight and will have a chance to attack for a change, not defend. I’m pretty convinced she will return to the top. 

3 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Not particularly for me. She never defeated her before, there’s something in Ostapenko’s game that is extremely uncomfortable for Iga. Plus, she wasn’t at her best coming to NYC in the first place. 

I think the flaw in her game is that she's a jack of all trades, master of none kind of player and when she runs into someone that does something excellently well she's vulnerable. She controlled the first set and it was even midway through the second, but once Ostapenko found her aim with her power game she ran right over Iga.

But I see a positive side of this. The heavy pressure on her, having to defend her number one spot at all times, will come off at last. She will step down from a spotlight and will have a chance to attack for a change, not defend. I’m pretty convinced she will return to the top. 

There's a lot to this. Halep has talked about how stressful it was to be number one and why it hurt her game. It took the joy of the game away. Floating around the top 10 makes her more relaxed and allows her to play without so much stress. Iga is a thoughtful person off the court and I wouldn't be surprised if its been hard on her. Most people aren't robots.

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think the flaw in her game is that she's a jack of all trades, master of none kind of player and when she runs into someone that does something excellently well she's vulnerable  

Actually she is definitely a master of foot work, but I know what you mean and I tend to agree. 

On the other hand there has to be more to it, as she usually struggles against the big hitters, but unlike with Ostapenko, she’s able to defeat them in the end most of the time. Here, zero success rate in four trials. Weird. 

19 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Actually she is definitely a master of foot work, but I know what you mean and I tend to agree. 

You know tennis better than I do, but in general I think foot work is one of the most overrated things across sports (outside of track and field). I can point to a number of leagues where the top players' don't need to excel at that to be great. I'm not saying it isn't important, but that shouldn't be your calling card. 

On the other hand there has to be more to it, as she usually struggles against the big hitters, but unlike with Ostapenko, she’s able to defeat them in the end most of the time. Here, zero success rate in four trials. Weird. 

I think she gets demoralized against players who clearly have more power than her. Iga will fight and hold her own, but if a heavy hitter takes her to a third set she struggles. Idk how she can counter that outside of getting a tougher mentally, but even if she can that will buy her only so much. There are just a few players that are always going to be bad match ups for her. That said, I still think she's the best player on the women's side. She just doesn't have the highest ceiling of play. 

When she was up 4-2 in the third and then got broken by Sabalenka I knew it was probably over. They're similar players, but the Keys has a tendency to fall apart in those situations. Maybe she wins a slam sometime down the road, but facing Coco in her first one might have been her best chance.

I think Sabalenka wins this final, but you never know how a totally one sided crowd will affect the match. Coco will have all the home cooking. 

On the men's side today I think Alcaraz should be fine. Medvedev just doesn't seem like a top tier player even if his ranking is always really high. Carlos should beat him in four sets. The other match is the truly curious one. Joker is playing well, but one of the few things that older players struggle with is power and Shelton is the heaviest hitter in the tournament. If his serve is on he has a real chance to upset him. This one feels like it's either going to be Novak in straight sets or a five set dog fight.