Iran… a new day coming?

Ser Scot A Ellison

NYT-

"Previous protests — over fraudulent elections in 2009, economic mismanagement in 2017 and fuel price hikes in 2019 — have been ruthlessly suppressed by Iran’s security forces, and this time may be no different. Yet, for the first time since the founding of the Iranian Republic, the current uprising has united rich Iranians descending from high-rise apartments in northern Tehran with struggling bazaar vendors in its working-class south, and Kurds, Turks and other ethnic minorities with members of the Fars majority.

The sheer diversity of the protesters reflects the breadth of Iranians’ grievances, analysts say, from a sickly economy and in-your-face corruption, to political repression and social restrictions — frustrations Iran’s government has repeatedly tried, and failed, to quash."

Hopefully these will lead to some major changes, but my gut says they won't. I think the time to watch will be when Khamenei dies. He's getting up there in age and is not in the best of health. I think when Iran lacks a supreme leader is the time the public will be able to force real change. Either by pressuring the assembly of experts to choose a much more reformist/modernist candidate or a straight up revolution. 

Archived