[Spoilers] Episode 106 Discussion

Ran

Now get what the mulvaleys flower signifies, it has nothing to do with Braavos at all, it is a reference to Alicent being out of place and far away from home.

The way Larys plucks it and sniffs it... not sure what that is supposed to indicate though. 

I don't see why the old men should be so affected by some milk leaking out, or why Rhaenyra should be so embarrassed by it. I also didn't find it compelling for her to flee because of a few rumours lol... it is her third kid, its like she got pushed too far and too suddenly. 

I am disappointed that instead of giving compelling reasons to root for the princess and the queen, both are shown as equally flawed, weak and unpredictable. 

9 hours ago, RumHam said:

It was nice and unexpected to see the boys getting along at the dragonpit. Any idea which dragon spooked Aemond?

I believe this was Dreamfyre. 

Edited by slant

Oh wow, another episode that just skips all character development and expects us to just go with it. Who cares about actually showing us how rivalries develop, how people fall in love, or how murder is forgiven and just shrugged away. I mean we don't even get to see a scene of Leanor looking at Criston Cole. I mean there is no dynamic between characters who logically should have beef with each other. 

Every major event is given no catharsis, no reaction is available nor do we even get to understand the general perception people might have. 

Olivia is playing it hard on the Cersei angle to the point where the character is insufferable. A lot of poorly lit scenes that lack joy, levity, wit, or humor. 

The only good part was with Daemon and Laena, everything else was garbage. I've been liking every episode besides the first. This one I downright dislike. 3/10.  

Edited by butterweedstrover

It’s kind of goofy how Alicent only wears green now. She’s been calling her banners for ten years.

They went full-incel with Criston Cole. For all the talk of Rhaenyra abusing her station, it’s hilarious how he compares her to an insect that poisons its prey when she had been a teenager and he was a grown-ass man. I liked how even Alicent had enough of it at one point. 

I’ve seen a few people point out how they recast the women, yet Criston/Harwin/Daemon only changed their hairstyle. Even Grace Randolph, who gave the show a glowing review before the premiere, had mentioned that this was a double standard.

13 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

character development

The old and young versions of Alicent (and of Rhaenyra to a certain extent) act like totally different characters. So, I wouldn't expect any amount of character development to bridge this insurmountable gap.

They should have either skipped the first 5 episodes and started from here, or extended them to a full season and let this be the start of the second season. But then again, both options would be equally bad as the one we get, for different reasons.

There is just no good way to tell a bad story.

13 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I’ve seen a few people point out how they recast the women, yet Criston/Harwin/Daemon only changed their hairstyle. Even Grace Randolph, who gave the show a glowing review before the premiere, had mentioned that this was a double standard.

All the named characters entered the show playing full on adults, whereas the young actresses played the teen versions of their characters. If Cole had been  17 year old at the start, maybe…

They’re going to be changing the teenage Aegon actor shortly as well.

8 hours ago, RumHam said:

Do people really think of it like that though? For me it's "the blacks' cause is just, greens are usurping against the previous king's expressed wishes." and then individual characters get judged on being good or evil, and hopefully are some mix of both. 

One can easily argue that a king whose ONLY reason to become king was because he was a man has no right, or at least invites a war, when he chooses a daughter when he has male heirs available.

Or that the king is no God and can't change thousands of years of tradition on a whim.

Or like Otto pointed out in the previous episode, even if the heir by law, Aegon would be a threat to Rhaenyra just by being a man and would have to be killed. Even if she didn't want it, some supporter might do it for her (like Tywin later did with Rhaenys and Aegon).

Or even if Rhaenyra had the right to ascend to the throne, the fact she is undeniably trying to pass 3 bastards as her heirs is itself something that will inevitably lead to war.

Mind you, the real answer to me is that there's no right or wrong answer: both sides have a claim, and the entire fault is Viserys': he could have Rhaneyra be the heir, he could marry Alicent and have sons, but not both, and he made the war inevitable. 

Edited by Winterfell is Burning

2 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

One can easily argue that a king whose ONLY reason to become king was because he was a man has no right, or at least invites a war, when he chooses a daughter when he has male heirs available. Or that the king is no God and can't change thousands of years of tradition on a whim.

I think that ship sailed with Aegon.

And then Alysanne overturning First Night.

You're either the king or not in Westeros.

Now paging Ser Criston Cole, bitter, part of one.

After that crap characterization of him last week at Rhaenyra's wedding, no worries about any attempt to redeem him going forward. He's an ignorant, bitter shit.

The episode was so good, maybe because last week ended so poorly. Laena! The actresses who portrayed her have been stellar. They shouldn't have cut the claiming of Vhagar. Loved seeing that old hoary bitch. Everything I expected her to be down to the tears in the wings. And I also loved that, given the choice Viserys had with Aemma, Daemon did not take it. Though, his pregnant, bleeding wife slipping past a bunch of people until he has to go belatedly look for her is complete nonsense. But we can't have everything.

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

Still the guy is a gizzled no nonsense dragon expert right?  All the dragons are in westeros. Like did he get those burns in an unrelated battled as a mercenary in Volantis?

Maybe, but the clear shorthand implication is that he's been burned by dragon fire and also become an authority on dragons. To me this suggests he's been in kings landing for a while, and probably understands the language. 

My grandparents lived in Canada for decades and didn't speak any English at all.

So no, I don't find the dragon keeper only speaking Valyrian as very odd at all.

Edited by Lord of Oop North

6 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

I'm going to stop you right there.

The Blacks are the heroes of the story.

Okay, so yeah...Daemon is no one's Captain America and Rhaenyra is not the Virgin Mary. So what? At the end of the day, not only was the letter of the law on their side but so was the spirit of the law.

I don't care which way you spin it; the Greens were wrong as wrong gets.

That is non-sense to me, for the reasons I pointed out many times before. If you think Dance of Dragons this is a story of good and evil, heroes and villains, then I respect your opinion, but I think you have been reading a very different series.

11 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I think that ship sailed with Aegon.

And then Alysanne overturning First Night.

You're either the king or not in Westeros.

Difference being when Aegon and Alysanne imposed their view, there was no one with the dragons to challenge them. And also that if they submitted, the kings of Westeros had no fear to being murdered, as none that chose surrender did. While even if Aegon and his family had peacefully accepted Rhaenyra's claim, they had no guarantee either Rhaenyra or someone from their side wouldn't kill him just to remove a potential threat (like Tywin did without consulting Robert).

7 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Weirdly, I loved it.

It establishes very clearly Aegon is utterly unworthy of the throne and only a lunatic would want him on the throne or a power mad viper.

Not really. Just shows him as a dumb teenage boy. He'll become a real monster later, but that in itself is not a sign.

15 minutes ago, sifth said:

So I always hated Ser Criston Cole in the novels, but the show has made me completely despise him. I'm not sure if it's intentional or not. Alicent only wearing green now, seems silly, I have to agree with what posters said above.

It's because we're not only putting a face into the character, we also know the reasons he became so nasty and bitter towards Rhaenyra, and those just make him look even more like a creep (not that him disliking her wouldn't be understandable, but murderous rage that lasts for a decade is just pathetic).

1 minute ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I still feel a bit sorry for him.

I did felt sorry when Rhaenyra turned him down, of course. But it's harder to after murdering someone because of it, plus being so spiteful for 10 years that even Alicent calls him on it.

Great episode. Loved all the new actors especially the laenor adult actor is so superior to the teenage laenor actor (wow a male character with different actors for different ages!).

The dragons continue to look great when they appear on screen and are being used purposefully. 

Aegon wanking in public at his window was important for his characterisation as a c*nt of a person.

Daemon's plot/narrative was the weakest this episode and suffered the most with the timeskip but I loved the change on how Laena dies from the book to TV. She went out like a badass.

Poor Viserys, he needs to die now.

Edited by cock_merchant

5 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

I did felt sorry when Rhaenyra turned him down, of course. But it's harder to after murdering someone because of it, plus being so spiteful for 10 years that even Alicent calls him on it.

I thought he killed Joffrey to protect his secret, not because he was being taunted.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy