[Spoilers] Episode 106 Discussion

Ran

Like some others, I felt the time skip was a little too much because it missed showing the relationship between Rhaenyra and Harwin and Daemon and Laena, as well as Laenor’s depression over Joffrey and Alicent’s descent into bitchiness. An episode in between would have been good.

6 pregnancies and a masturbation scene. Somewhere, D&D are shaking their heads at the missed opportunities for graphic sex scenes…

The ladies aged up so much but Criston Cole looks the same? I think a few grey hairs would have been in order. Speaking of him, I take it he is no longer Rhaenyra’s sworn shield? He wasn’t outside her bedchamber and he didn’t go with her to Dragonstone. But it’s strange that it’s not mentioned at all. Another thing they could have covered in missing episode.

I liked the introduction of the boys. Jace is my favorite character in the book so I look forward to seeing him. I did feel sorry for Aemond being bullied—I do like the fact that they have created some empathy for characters that I found insufferable in book. I did have expect his eye to go in this episode, but I guess Rhaenyra and family can come for a visit later on.

I liked Laena and Harwin but I agree that their deaths lacked the emotional punch because we didn’t see them long enough to get attached. 

7 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I still feel a bit sorry for him.

How so? I might have felt bad for him at the start of last week's episode, but after he brutally murdered Joffrey at the wedding and getting away with it, I basically despise the guy.

1 hour ago, TeethGrinder said:

Why?

Fridging would be my guess of what @Mithras is referring to. Having two female characters who should be important but who barely get any development and then die, just to inform the development of a male character (Daemon). It's like the writers of the Wheel of Time show giving Perrin a wife, only to kill her in episode 1 so he has something to feel guilty about.

Not that Daemon is getting any coherent character development out of all this. Every episode I feel like I'm watching a completely new character. Glad his impotency issues seem to have gone away?

Edited by Caligula_K3

1 minute ago, sifth said:

How so? I might have felt bad for him at the start of last week's episode, but after he brutally murdered Joffrey at the wedding and getting away with it, I basically despise the guy.

But again, he did it to protect his secret. Sure, he should't have done it in the middle of a wedding, but that's a mistake on the part of the writer or director.

5 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

But again, he did it to protect his secret. Sure, he should't have done it in the middle of a wedding, but that's a mistake on the part of the writer or director.

He punched a guy so hard and for so long that his nose fell off and his head was basically paste. I'm sorry, but that's Gregor Clegane level evil, in my book.

what a hypocrite Daemon is by ignoring Rhaena? his own dragon wasn't hatched in the cradle , he'd claimed his uncle's dragon ! 

I forgot to mention how I appreciate it that I can easily start hating Cole and Alicent as I did in the book:P

by the way , does anyone know if the rooftop scene was cut or the released photos of Daemon and girls were just behind the scenes?

27 minutes ago, nara said:

The ladies aged up so much but Criston Cole looks the same? I think a few grey hairs would have been in order. Speaking of him, I take it he is no longer Rhaenyra’s sworn shield? He wasn’t outside her bedchamber and he didn’t go with her to Dragonstone. But it’s strange that it’s not mentioned at all. Another thing they could have covered in missing episode.

It was show, don't tell. Cole is outside Alicent's door now. And if that wasn't enough of a clue, the way he talks about Rhaenyra to Alicent should clarify it.

26 minutes ago, sifth said:

He’s also still salty Rhaenyra wouldn’t marry him ten years after the fact. Calls her a cunt and clearly favors Alicents kids in the training yard. Such an unlikable douche now. 

Just now, Corvinus85 said:

I was wondering about this. By the end of the season we should be getting all the final actors, right?

Yeah I’d imagine so. The Dance will be starting in earnest then and it only takes place over the course of a few years so there wouldn’t be a need for more jumps and actor changes. 

6 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

It was show, don't tell. Cole is outside Alicent's door now. And if that wasn't enough of a clue, the way he talks about Rhaenyra to Alicent should clarify it.

Yes, but that’s a big deal isn’t it? It’s one thing for everyone to know about the affair with Harwin, but for Criston to change loyalties without everyone knowing there was a story behind it and discussing it is strange. And there is an easy logic to it too. Alicent pleaded his case after the wedding and  in return he became her shield. But I think that should be mentioned.

Edited by nara
Added more

1 minute ago, Mark Antony said:

He’s also still salty Rhaenyra wouldn’t marry him ten years after the fact. Calls her a cunt and clearly favors Alicents kids in the training yard. Such an unlikable douche now.

I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that Alicent and Criston get more hate for being unlikable douches than Daemon gets for killing his wife in cold blood so he can be free to remarry.

22 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

I forgot to mention how I appreciate it that I can easily start hating Cole and Alicent as I did in the book:P

The show is obviously trying to get us to hate them so I’m just not going to do that out of spit for butchering two characters.

Edited by butterweedstrover

2 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that Alicent and Criston get more hate for being unlikable douches than Daemon gets for killing his wife in cold blood so he can be free to remarry.

I think it’s because Daemon was introduced as a jerk whereas the others were treated more gently at the start of the series

I feel Rhaenyra- Laenor did try having kids but she didn't get pregnant by him. I mean in epi 5 they had agreed to fulfill their duty to the realm & then be free to have affairs. If Rhaenyra didn't have kids within a year or 2 of her marriage, you bet she would have been declared barren or something. Laenor would not be blamed. So since she was not able to conceive with Laenor, she got pregnant by Harwin so that she could prove that the fault is not with her. 

It might also explain why Corlys & Rhaenys are not raising a stink about the children being bastards. They know the fault is in their son & not Rhaenyra. 

Frankly I think both set of parents knew about Laenor being gay but still arranged the marriage for political reason. It is an open secret that Laenor is gay. So it seems to be an unsaid mutual decision to turn a blind eye to the kids not being Laenors. 

But I have to agree that having 3 kids with Harwin was wrong of Rhaenyra because it undermines her children's claim. She might have been able to pass off 1 kid but not 3 when they seem to have strong resemblance to Harwin. This again proves that Targaryens are emotional creatures. Rhaenyra likes Harwin so she continues to be with him. It is not as if she is having random affairs. 

1 minute ago, HOTDfresher said:

I feel Rhaenyra- Laenor did try having kids but she didn't get pregnant by him. I mean in epi 5 they had agreed to fulfill their duty to the realm & then be free to have affairs. If Rhaenyra didn't have kids within a year or 2 of her marriage, you bet she would have been declared barren or something. Laenor would not be blamed. So since she was not able to conceive with Laenor, she got pregnant by Harwin so that she could prove that the fault is not with her. 

It might also explain why Corlys & Rhaenys are not raising a stink about the children being bastards. They know the fault is in their son & not Rhaenyra. 

Frankly I think both set of parents knew about Laenor being gay but still arranged the marriage for political reason. It is an open secret that Laenor is gay. So it seems to be an unsaid mutual decision to turn a blind eye to the kids not being Laenors. 

But I have to agree that having 3 kids with Harwin was wrong of Rhaenyra because it undermines her children's claim. She might have been able to pass off 1 kid but not 3 when they seem to have strong resemblance to Harwin. This again proves that Targaryens are emotional creatures. Rhaenyra likes Harwin so she continues to be with him. It is not as if she is having random affairs. 

Her having 3 child who are clearly bastards also undermines her own ascension, because it opens a new avenue to be exploited against her (people can go to war claiming they don't bastards in the Iron Throne when she dies, or they don't want an adulteress as Queen- and of course, they would use much more offensive words than that ).

If she couldn't have kids with Laenor, she'd better off not having kids at all. In fact, would make a war much less likely, since Aegon would be her heir anyway (and in the show, the age difference between them might as well be mother and child).

4 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I think the reason Allicent & Criston get more hate than Daemon is because they act so holier than thou while continuosly doing wrong actions in the name of hating Rhaenyra. The amount of hate that they have for Rhaenyra is unwarranted. 

Daemon on the other hand does not act like he is a goody two shoe. He is unapologetically vile. He may lie to others about his actions but he doesn't lie to himself at least. So viewers don't have any sort of expectations from Daemon. 

10 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

He’s scum as well, but she also provoked him to do it. I recall her saying something like, “I knew you couldn’t do it, coward”.

14 minutes ago, nara said:

Yes, but that’s a big deal isn’t it? It’s one thing for everyone to know about the affair with Harwin, but for Criston to change loyalties without everyone knowing there was a story behind it and discussing it is strange. And there is an easy logic to it too. Alicent pleaded his case after the wedding and  in return he became her shield. But I think that should be mentioned.

The problem really lies with how the previous episode ended. The writers didn't do themselves any favors.