[Spoilers] Episode 106 Discussion

Ran

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I think she left King’s Landing because now Harwin was gone. Unlike in the books, he was still in the gold cloaks, so he was tied to his post.

Ooof tysm, that actually makes sense. I didn't think of her as actually being emotionally involved with Harwin Strong. But yes, her whole life has just been destroyed. 

55 minutes ago, Khloey said:

Both sides do terrible things, but It was Aemond who draw first blood and it was the Greens who let Viserys rot for days without saying anything to anyone.

The Black's cause is more just than the Green's one. That's it. Doesn't mean they're heroes, though.

Aemond did draw first blood but there is still a difference between 

Spoiler

Two people of similar age fighting on dragons and a 40+ year old ordering the death of a 7 year old kid

4 minutes ago, MisbornHeir said:

Do you think there was any realistic possibility/method where Viserys could of made the succession precedent absolute-cognatic?

Good question. I don't know, but it would be A LOT easier if he had no sons to dispute it, or lords that would prefer them instead.

11 hours ago, RumHam said:

The weird part isn't that he's masturbating, it's the window thing. I'm just trying to understand what the writers were going for

They were doing what they presumed was a witty and comic shout out to HBO's Succession in which son Kendall does the same thing in a window, jacking off on Manhattan.  Though the window's no open and of course on the side of a much taller NYC tower.

The weightiest charge against the Greens is this.  They resorted to murder and deceit immediately upon Viserys’ death, without even considering non-violent options.  They can say they were afraid, but imperial fratricide isn’t the norm, even in Westeros.

Edited by SeanF

12 minutes ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

Aemond did draw first blood but there is still a difference between 

Hide contents

Two people of similar age fighting on dragons and a 40+ year old ordering the death of a 7 year old kid

Oh I completely agree, that's why I'm speaking about the cause being more just and not the people fighting for it.

This is also why I don't really understand the complains about how Daemon is being portrayed in the show. He and Aemond are both scumbags.

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

They were doing what they presumed was a witty and comic shout out to HBO's Succession in which son Kendall does the same thing in a window, jacking off on Manhattan.  Though the window's no open and of course on the side of a much taller NYC tower.

I can't really tell, but some have pointed out that the window where Aegon did his thing is the same one that Tommen jumped out of in GoT.  Which makes everything even more awkward.

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

The weightiest charge against the Greens is this.  They resorted to murder and deceit immediately upon Viserys’ death, without even considering non-violent options.

Totally. I would argue that the way they acted at Visery's death is proof that they knew they were in the wrong and needed to act as quick as possible to crown Aegon before Rhaenyra.

1 minute ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I can't really tell, but some have pointed out that the window where Aegon did his thing is the same one that Tommen jumped out of in GoT.  Which makes everything even more awkward.

D&D missed a golden opportunity to foreshadow Tommen's suicide. They should have written a sex scene for Jaime&Cersei in the first season at the same room in which Jaime would finish from the same spot.

25 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Good question. I don't know, but it would be A LOT easier if he had no sons to dispute it, or lords that would prefer them instead.

I wonder if putting it up to the lords to begin with was folly on Jahaerys's part. It sets a precedent of an obligatory active role when the succession is in contest..

19 minutes ago, Mithras said:

D&D missed a golden opportunity to foreshadow Tommen's suicide. They should have written a sex scene for Jaime&Cersei in the first season at the same room in which Jaime would finish from the same spot.

I guess it's supposed to be some sort of dark symbolism, with Aegon sending his own unborn children to the same end that Cersei's last child chose.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

30 minutes ago, Ran said:

Pretty sure it was Roman who did that, the perv.

Ah!  One of the Roys, who are equally icky as these jerkwaddies and equally monstrous and equally stupid.

Edited by Zorral

40 minutes ago, MisbornHeir said:

I wonder if putting it up to the lords to begin with was folly on Jahaerys's part. It sets a precedent of an obligatory active role when the succession is in contest..

I tend to agree.  If it becomes the norm, the lords will sell their support to the candidate who promises them the most.

3 hours ago, sifth said:

The lack of a reaction from House Velaryon, for the death of Ser. Joffrey is really bugging me. Has something major like this ever been ignored using a time skip before? If not, I think this is rather original, in terms of bad writing.

At this point, I almost wish that they had taken the same route as The Crown. One season with one set of actors, the next season with the older actors, etc.

54 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Yet Viserys, who won the Iron Throne with a worse claim than Aegon had, never even entertains the thought of doing the same, because he's an idiot.

Why should he? So long as he lived, Rhaenyra was the unquestioned heir and everyone in the Realm knew that.

The reason why Jaeharys called the Council was because both sides were openly preparing themselves to war. No such thing happens with Viserys. 

1 hour ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

, is easy to imagine someone on her side murdering them as a preventive measure or to gain favor, just like Tywin did with Rhaegar's kids without consulting Robert.

It's as easy as having Baelon or Jaeharys murdering their neieces or Egg killing baby Maegor.

The difference between smooth transitions of powers and usurpations is that you don't really need to resort to killing your relatives to remain the unquestioned ruler.  That is why Viserys can rule easily while pissing offthe Velaryons who are as rich as him and command more dragons than him. There's little reason for him not to expect the same thing for his children.

About the episode, I'm torn about it, this and episode three are the ones that really felt like there had been an entire episode narrating the events of the ten year gap. 

I didn't dislike the episode but i didn't like it either, i was indifferent to it. The Velaryons are given as little screentime as Martin gave them, which i didn't like it in the books and i certainly don't like it here.

Btw, I'm not against them cutting up the scene with Daemon and his daughters, after he just killed Rhea last episde, he just seemed a different person, it was bizarre.

Larys... He's every bit as random as he was in the books, this is the one character I will refrain to judge one way or another.

Btw, Rhaenyra all but admitting to her son that he's a bastard...

33 minutes ago, frenin said:

Btw, Rhaenyra all but admitting to her son that he's a bastard...

With words deliberately meant to echo Ned's to Jon in, I believe, the 2nd episode of season 1:

"You are a Stark. You might not have my name, but you have my blood."

Pretty similarly sentiments, though with very different routes to get to them.