Football: international suffering

Iskaral Pust

I don't think we played that horribly. KdB, Haaland and Foden were simply far too good for us today. I was expecting us to have 30% possession max and sit in a low block but we tried to play more progressively than I though we would. That left us more  exposed though and City were ruthless but Ten Hag has to keep trying to implement his preferred possession oriented system with a higher line.

Varane getting injured was only a matter of time. He's a bit like Thiago - a quality player when fit but you've got to expect him to miss 8-12 weeks of every season due to injury.

13 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

not fit enough.

It clearly wasn't the only thing that went wrong but especially in the first half it was very notable that we were missing simple passes by yards. I dunno if we messed up the unexpected extra time off or what but it was bad.

Anyway, as shit at that was it's not without signs of improvement. Even in the mentality, we had about 15 minutes where we totally shat the bed but after that we got some composure back and kept hunting for the chances we could get, which wouldn't have happened under Ragnick or Ole. I think Ten Hag made the right changes in that respect too - Rashford is mentally fragile, we know, so him coming off was necessary, Eriksen was having a bad game too for whatever reason. 

Like it's depressing to get this outplayed and there are still massive gaps in the team and squad that unquestionably need to be addressed but there's moves in the right direction.

Also: fuck it, I like Antony. Wasn't the goal that did it, nice as it was: it was the moment near the end where he was hemmed in by three City players by our corner flag so he flicked it up for some keepy-uppies and scooped it over them for the clearance. Should  he be doing that in that position? No, probably not. Do I enjoy it? Yes I do. But also it's just nice to see us have someone with that degree of ball control, which I think we haven't had since... maybe Berbatov? 

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Does anyone enjoy this level of dominance? 

It's been the norm in England for decades. Liverpool won 13 out of 20 league titles at one point. That was followed by United also winning 13 out of 20 league titles. City are dominating now under Guardiola.

if you have no part of the title race, then it's kinda petty fun to see other teams getting pummeled. Preferably rivals.

Other than that just mock and laugh about it. City scored less than four? Boring! Or the running gag of asking whether Haaland has scored, yet. 

Look for fun where you can find it. Most enjoyable moments during Guardiola's stint at Bayern were basically the annual humiliation or local rivals suffered. It was glorious. They came close to conceding double digits more than once.

52 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

It's been the norm in England for decades. Liverpool won 13 out of 20 league titles at one point. That was followed by United also winning 13 out of 20 league titles. City are dominating now under Guardiola.

Norm doesn't mean quality, and having one team overrun everyone gets boring, especially when the playing field is uneven.

23 minutes ago, baxus said:

To be honest, I'd absolutely love it if it was my team doing the dominating. :lol:

Said the Serb who's tired of Joker. :P

Liverpool have given City a run for their money, losing the title by one point on two occasions with 97 and 92 points so this hasn't been quite the procession of Bayern. The Bundesliga was, is and will continue to be a one-horse league which is the epitomy of dull.

With Liverpool struggling there's no-one to challenge City this season though since Liverpool are the only other side in the league with the capability to churn out results week after week and go on crazy winning runs.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Norm doesn't mean quality, and having one team overrun everyone gets boring, especially when the playing field is uneven.

The playing field was never even. Liverpool and United were the best sides in the country during their era's of dominance. It was also boring unless you were a Liverpool and United fan during those era's.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Obviously Man U and Liverpool deserve credit for doing it without oil money but your point still stands; Since the 70s there's been a dominant team and I wonder what changed in the 70s that made it possible.

One point though, other teams did occasionally win (Arsenal and Chelsea during the Man U era, and various teams including Everton and Nottingham Forest during the Liverpool years). Can anyone see someone other than City winning in the next few years? Right now they're miles ahead.

22 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Can anyone see someone other than City winning in the next few years? Right now they're miles ahead.

Depends if Newcastle are allowed to spend their money, and whether Howe is able to go head to head tactically with Pep (I still think he is over rated though). 

23 minutes ago, Darryk said:

One point though, other teams did occasionally win (Arsenal and Chelsea during the Man U era, and various teams including Everton and Nottingham Forest during the Liverpool years). Can anyone see someone other than City winning in the next few years? Right now they're miles ahead.

Chelsea and Liverpool have won during Guardiola's time. I also don't believe this is a permanent decline for Liverpool. They've struggled this season but there's every chance Klopp turns things around because unlike his stint at Dortmund, at Liverpool he has much greater resources at his disposal and isn't forced to sell his best players. City are not miles ahead of Liverpool; that view is just down to recency bias of this season.

I think Newcastle will be challenging City within three seasons or so, FFP rules aren't going to stop that if they're competently run which they appear to be. They should finish in European spots this season already tbh- with an outside shout of top 4, although their form in the games without Guimaraes and ASM does show the depth isn't there for that to be realistic. But they're gonna stack both key first-teamers and depth season by season. 

Don't think Howe will be the guy to take them to the actual title though. 

And let's be honest, financially we should absolutely be able to compete with City. We're just not run well enough. Though I'm not completely convinced ETH can't get us there if some cards fall right. Not this season obviously. 

But the point is this isn't a France or Germany situation where there's just no-one able to financially compete at all with the one huge club. 

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I think Newcastle will be challenging City within three seasons or so, FFP rules aren't going to stop that if they're competently run which they appear to be.

I don't know, the pre Guardiola Abu Dhabi money City sides were competently run but they weren't close to this level. I could see Newcastle getting to Mancini/Pellegrini at City levels in three years but I think City would have had to dropped off for that to actually be challenging them.

55 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

But the point is this isn't a France or Germany situation where there's just no-one able to financially compete at all with the one huge club. 

Well, in the 2000s you laid what should've been the foundation for a Bayern like dominance (as did Liverpool in the 1970s-80s) But you failed to build on it. Liverpool (and English football in general) had the small problem called Heysel.  But United had a relatively clear path, but were run incompetently. Now the club best equipped to compete with City is Liverpool. They have overtaken you revenue wise if I am not mistaken. You still have quite a bit to spend on infrastructure upgrades, which Liverpool have already done. 

As for Howe, let's wait and see how far he can push Newcastle. I still rate him as one of the better English managers (not named Potter obviously). No, idea where his managerial ceiling is. Thus far he has delivered, what was asked of him. 

5 hours ago, Consigliere said:

The playing field was never even. Liverpool and United were the best sides in the country during their era's of dominance. It was also boring unless you were a Liverpool and United fan during those era's.

Right, so shouldn't we avoid those kinds of scenarios? Having a third of the league in play each year makes things far more interesting. 

Bundesliga news with relevance to our local scouser population.

van den Berg picked up an injury in Schalke's loss against Augsburg.

He had to be stretchered off after he blocked a shot. Looked pretty nasty, Schalke is worried that he might have suffered a broken ankle. 

In football adjacent news, former striker Romário was reelected to the Senate for Rio de Janeiro. Yes, really, he not only got elected, but got reelected.

This probably speaks more to the quality of his opposition in both elections as well as the fact that he latched himself to whoever was leading the polls in the state for President both times (Dilma Rousseff in 2014, Bolsonaro in 2022). He also ran for governor in 2018, but didn't make to the 2nd round, with stronger competition and no support from a strong presidential candidate.

But of course, maybe this will lead to more strikers running for office. Imagine Messi president of Argentina? Thierry Henry for President of France?  Harry Kane as English Prime-Minister? Honestly, can't be worse than the people they have running things now.

Of course, Zlatan won't run for Parliament in Sweden because he's already the King, and it would be beneath him.

Archived