Football: international suffering

Iskaral Pust

3 hours ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

Trying hard to think of a way that this wouldn't just be a distraction. Can't really make it work.

It lets the manager send a signal to the whole team at once. I just wouldn't want to be the clubroom attendant that has to clean up afterwards. 

Barcelona had the possession two days ago, but Inter allowed them very few shots on goal. We might have looked even more dangerous at times. Hakan's first shot was a bomb and Ter Stegen's save was massive at the beginning.

I have to concede that it probably should've been given a penalty on the Dumfries handball. The other close decisions were spot on by the refs. If it weren't for Var, we would've had a penalty on 0-0 (correctly not given due to a very slim offside previously) Barca's goal would've stood when Fati handballed. Correa's goal for us was scored even after a more obvious offside.

Hakan's goal for us was a good strike.

Though Dembele battered us and with better decision making and his teammates not being shot down by our defenders he/they could've scored a couple goals. Luckily Dembele's shots were allowed only from difficult positions to score from.

It's really not as if Haaland dominated the Bundesliga, is it? He was neither the champion nor the best goalscorer.

Not saying he wasn't playing great, but there's a whole world of difference between his level at Borussia and what he's showing now at City.

4 hours ago, baxus said:

It's really not as if Haaland dominated the Bundesliga, is it? He was neither the champion nor the best goalscorer.

Not saying he wasn't playing great, but there's a whole world of difference between his level at Borussia and what he's showing now at City.

Not sure there is a massive difference between what he's showing in terms of individual play but more so, the sum of the City parts are significantly stronger than the Dortmund parts. I mean, it makes sense for him to improve as a player too, he's only 22 after all but I do tend to believe that if he played for Bayern in '21, he'd have put up Lewandowski level stats there.

That game highlighted just how pants we still are against a low block. Ponderously slow in possession and struggling to create chances while our defence struggles to play a high line and loses concentration very easily when they have little defending to do. Sancho was useless as he has been for a few games now and needs to be dropped. Ronaldo was rubbish again as he has been all season. Hopefully he fucks off in January. Shaw, Rashford and Martial changed the game.

Bruno and Dalot annoyed the hell out of me, playing like star-struck fanboys rather than professional footballers when Ronaldo is on the pitch – both of them consistently ignore better passing options in order to pander to Ronaldo. I'd rather we play a pivot of Casemiro-Fred/Mctominay and move Eriksen into the attacking midfield role – Bruno can be backup to Eriksen until he realises that he plays for Manchester United and not Ronaldo FC.

I don't think it's really a problem in the league because Ronaldo doesn't play there and Bruno's been good, City aside when we just got tanked, the last few games.

The Sancho problem is that the team seems to be playing as if he's meant to be the one stretching the lines and getting in behind, and he's really not that guy. I suspect he'll be dropped for Martial at the weekend but I also think he'll work better with Martial if and when that happens. It's not really helping that both him and Antony tend to slow the ball down when they're on it, so there's a bit of mirroring going on - but Antony's working a bit better because he does stretch the shape when he's moving off the ball so he is getting played in.

I honestly didn't know too much about Haaland before this season and was floored by some stats I heard about him today. Assuming he has a healthy season, he will almost assuredly break into the top 30 all-time in CL goals scored and could even get close to the top 20. In the PL, only four teams have more total goals than he has. The previous record for three hat tricks in the PL took 48 games. He's done it in 8. And this is the nutty one, Haaland, at 22, across all matches worth considering has scored 175 goals. At the same age Ronaldo had 50 and Messi had 44.

If he stays healthy he has a real chance of being the best ever. Dude's going to make soooooooo much $$$. 

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

If he stays healthy he has a real chance of being the best ever. Dude's going to make soooooooo much $$$. 

He wont be considered the best ever because pure goalscorers never are, you need to have something about you flair wise. 

He is allegedly on £900,000 a week already. 

Haaland will never reach the level of Messi. At his peak (which lasted over a decade), Messi was both the most prolific goal scorer and the best playmaker in the world. He was a better goal scorer than Ronaldo and a better playmaker than De Bruyne.

11 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Haaland will never reach the level of Messi. At his peak (which lasted over a decade), Messi was both the most prolific goal scorer and the best playmaker in the world. He was a better goal scorer than Ronaldo and a better playmaker than De Bruyne.

I think he has a chance to exceed Messi as a goalscorer to be honest. If (not likely) he stays at City. He already is to be honest, he is waaaaay ahead in terms of where Messi was at the same age. 

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I think he has a chance to exceed Messi as a goalscorer to be honest. If (not likely) he stays at City. He already is to be honest, he is waaaaay ahead in terms of where Messi was at the same age. 

He has a chance but it's going to be a difficult task. Messi and Ronaldo were head and shoulders above everyone else for more than a decade. That kind of longevity is rare.

17 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

and the best playmaker in the world. He was a better goal scorer than Ronaldo and a better playmaker than De Bruyne.

He was obviously a brilliant playmaker but I think this is excessive. He's not as good a passer as KDB and it shouldn't be overlooked that a lot of the reason Haaland's scoring has gone from 'really good' to 'fucking stupid' is that he's playing with a guy who can hit a sixpence from forty yards every time and excels at crosses and passes into the six-yard box that are nearly impossible to defend. 

I also always tended to think that for a lot of his career Messi tended to need to be the center of play in a way that wasn't necessarily the best thing for the team in that moment, but it always feels a bit silly saying that when he was so good on the ball that it rarely ended an actual detriment. Criticising Messi is a bit like picking flaws in Space Odyssey. But I do think he used to go ball-chasing when players like Xavi and Iniesta could quite happily have found him if he'd held his position. 

22 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Haaland will outscore Messi, Ronaldo and the others, but when you look back and remember who was the player being the best to watch playing for the eye, it certainly wouldn't be Haaland, even Ronaldo.

It would be Ronaldinho tbf.

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

He was obviously a brilliant playmaker but I think this is excessive. He's not as good a passer as KDB and it shouldn't be overlooked that a lot of the reason Haaland's scoring has gone from 'really good' to 'fucking stupid' is that he's playing with a guy who can hit a sixpence from forty yards every time and excels at crosses and passes into the six-yard box that are nearly impossible to defend. 

I also always tended to think that for a lot of his career Messi tended to need to be the center of play in a way that wasn't necessarily the best thing for the team in that moment, but it always feels a bit silly saying that when he was so good on the ball that it rarely ended an actual detriment. Criticising Messi is a bit like picking flaws in Space Odyssey. But I do think he used to go ball-chasing when players like Xavi and Iniesta could quite happily have found him if he'd held his position. 

Messi was a brilliant passer too and a much better dribbler. I stand by my statement. He was a better playmaker than De Bruyne. 

Archived