Cersei’s life as Queen

Daenerysthegreat

I dunno, this is kind of like Varys' 'where does power lie?' riddle in that it's all a matter of perception.  I think she was at her apex while she was burning the Tower of the Hand, after Tywin's death but before her disasterous deal with the faith, but I wouldn't rule out the power she had over Robert when he was king. She was largely checked during Tyrion's handship so it was as Robert's Queen or Tommen's regent that I would say she peaked.

On 9/26/2022 at 6:04 AM, Daenerysthegreat said:

Cersei was the Queen consort for 15 years, being the Queen Dowager for just two. At which stage do you all think she held more power, during her marriage to the Usurper or after his death?

i personally believe she was most powerful immediately after his death before tyrions arrival.

After Robert died. Qyburn became hers to command. 

At the end of ADWD she has very little power left. At best she is Varys' pawn. Tyrion and Tywin left her not much initiative. The turmoil after Robert death and the war made things difficult.

I think she was doing most of what she wanted while Robert was alive. He was barely participating to the Small Council.

At the end of ADWD she has very little power left. 

I think she still has a couple of tricks up her sleeve:

Cersei never saw where Qyburn came from, but suddenly he was there beside them, scrambling to keep up with her champion’s long strides. “Your Grace,” he said, “it is so good to have you back. May I have the honor of presenting our newest member of the Kingsguard? This is Ser Robert Strong.”

“Ser Robert,” Cersei whispered, as they entered the gates.

“If it please Your Grace, Ser Robert has taken a holy vow of silence,” Qyburn said. “He has sworn that he will not speak until all of His Grace’s enemies are dead and evil has been driven from the realm.”

Yes , thought Cersei Lannister. Oh, yes. (ADWD 65)

And there's this in the ADWD epilogue:

“My [Kevan's] lady wife mislikes travel. Lannisport is her place.”

“It is a wise woman who knows her place.”

He did not like the sound of that. “Say what you mean.”

“I thought I did.”

She's got something planned, no doubt a scheme to regain power.

After Robert's death, Cersei is named "Queen Regent and Protector of the Realm", which means that she can act in name of the king and command the armies. Technically, she would outrank his father (as Hand) and Tyrion (acting Hand), although Westeros being a patriarchal society and her owing obedience to her father muddy the waters. But theory, she would be the most powerful person in the realm.

Archived