The Last of Us (HBO) Trailer: Show and game spoilers

psynetik123

The Last of Us and The Last of Us Part II are by far my favorite video games.  I care more about this adaptation being successful than any other that's ever been made.  Have a lot of faith in Neil Druckmann and Craig Mazin.  But you never know how things will go.

Thought this trailer was outstanding.  Can't wait for the show to come out.

Just FYI for anyone not aware, both Troy Baker and the girl who played Ellie in the game (forgot her name) will both appear in the TV series, but they will be playing diffferent characters. Rumor is that Troy will play David and the girl will play Ellie's mom.

Also, the dude who played Tommy in the game will also appear, but he'll be playing one of the residents of the Quarantine Zone.

The only actor who will be directly reprising their role from the video game is Merle Dandridge, who played Marlene in the game and will also be playing Marlene again in the TV series.

Edited by psynetik123

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I honestly cannot tell if this show is going to be good or not from that. I’m so immune to these post apocalyptic shows and movies that nothing there even caught my eye especially. My hope is that it’s so well written it is amazing and we all love it, but yeah that trailer means nothing to me.

Same, on the one hand, this looks to be shaping up to quite possibly be the very first video game adaptation in history that is actually good.

On the other hand, I don't like Neil Druckmann and what he did to TLoU2.

9 hours ago, Whiskeyjack said:

The Last of Us 2 was amazing.

I continue to be confused by the complaints some people had about it.  Though I guess that's not entirely true, since for the most part they're driven by a pretty obvious agenda.

I think some of the complaints (mine) are legit.

I have a lot of faith this is going to be good. The team behind this pulled off something special with Chernobyl.

Edited by Mexal

11 hours ago, Whiskeyjack said:

I continue to be confused by the complaints some people had about it.  Though I guess that's not entirely true, since for the most part they're driven by a pretty obvious agenda.

And what agenda are you referring to specifically?

My complaints about the second game stem entirely from the pacing and story, which I found to be far inferior to the first game.

I honestly couldn't care less about she-hulk Abby or lesbian Ellie.

19 hours ago, psynetik123 said:

Same, on the one hand, this looks to be shaping up to quite possibly be the very first video game adaptation in history that is actually good.

Depends on how you count Arcane, which is a very high bar for this show to aspire to, but it is the Chernobyl team and HBO, so they certainly have a lot of great potential.

21 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Depends on how you count Arcane, which is a very high bar for this show to aspire to, but it is the Chernobyl team and HBO, so they certainly have a lot of great potential.

Meh, Arcane was good, but overrated IMO.

Also, animation tends be looked down on compared to live action.

Edited by psynetik123

21 hours ago, Whiskeyjack said:

The only issue I had with the second game was how splitting the story in half killed the pacing and made it feel like you were starting over from scratch, which was annoying.

Narratively, it was fine. 

11 hours ago, Mexal said:

I think some of the complaints (mine) are legit.

26 minutes ago, briantw said:

The only issue I had with the second game was how splitting the story in half killed the pacing and made it feel like you were starting over from scratch, which was annoying.

Yeah, that's why I said "for the most part."  Because I understand the negative reaction to the structure.  Though I think its more of an issue the first time you play - when I played a second time, didn't bother me at all.

10 hours ago, psynetik123 said:

And what agenda are you referring to specifically?

My complaints about the second game stem entirely from the pacing and story, which I found to be far inferior to the first game.

I honestly couldn't care less about she-hulk Abby or lesbian Ellie.

The game was review bombed by morons who hadn't played it, before it was ever released.  You're obviously aware of some of the issues they had, because you're referring to them in your last sentence.

As for the story - guess we'll have to disagree.  Think its one of the best stories I've ever seen in any medium.  And just as effective as the story in the first game, though with a different focus/theme. 

If somebody had a problem with that story, and it was genuinely based on the narrative itself rather than other factors (which seems pretty doubtful), then I guess we're just looking for entirely different things.

18 minutes ago, Whiskeyjack said:

If somebody had a problem with that story, and it was genuinely based on the narrative itself rather than other factors (which seems pretty doubtful), then I guess we're just looking for entirely different things.

The ending of Last of Us was one of the most powerful moments of storytelling I have experienced in nearly any medium.  So for me, anything that moved on from that was going to be a bit of a disappointment.

28 minutes ago, Whiskeyjack said:

I don't disagree. 

But would say the same is true about the ending of the second game, as well.

I didn’t think the ending of the second game was on the level of the first game’s ending.  But I also consider the first game to have the best ending (maybe tied with Snake Eater) of any game I’ve ever played, so that’s not the same thing as saying it wasn’t good. 

9 hours ago, briantw said:

Yes, it was kind of annoying. And particularly the part where you’re playing as Abby and trying to kill Ellie in the theatre. What were they thinking there? But I loved everything else.

I just finished another play through of the new remake version and couldn’t be more excited for this series. Trailer was amazing.

1 hour ago, Firebrand Jace said:

The Last of Us 2 had a very bold, very good, idea for a story about revenge. 

Unfortunately they edited the story script with a fucking weed whacker.

Would have worked a lot better with more back and forth transitions.  Splitting the story right down the middle just highlighted how uneven it was.  

The problem wasn’t playing as two characters so much as it was the way you played with one for eight hours and then abruptly got switched to the other for the next eight hours without any warning and basically got set back to zero for all your gameplay upgrades.

• 2 months later...