The Last of Us (HBO) Trailer: Show and game spoilers

psynetik123

On 12/7/2022 at 3:29 PM, Ramsay B. said:

Only time I think I have ever teared up during a video game.

The beginning of the game is what really got me. When a certain character dies and this music plays. 

:bawl:

I hope they include it in the series. 

• 2 weeks later...

Arguably Castlevania and Arcane before Edgerunners, if the criteria is adaptation based on a videogame's universe. Is edgerunners a direct adaptation of the game? It could be that TLOU is the first to break the curse of a bad adaptation of the actual game? But yeah, definitely seems like the first legit curse break for live action.

On 12/28/2022 at 5:42 AM, Trebla said:

The beginning of the game is what really got me. When a certain character dies and this music plays. 

:bawl:

I hope they include it in the series. 

I can't imagine why they would leave out any death from the game.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Hopefully it isn't just every story beat from the game, I'd like to see them take a few risks as opposed to do a scene by scene recreation. Will be watching it for sure.

As someone who hasn't played the game, but is aware that it reportedly has one of the best stories ever, I'm hoping they don't change a damn thing.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

As someone who hasn't played the game, but is aware that it reportedly has one of the best stories ever, I'm hoping they don't change a damn thing.

I mean, it's an alright story but nothing great. Imo the game worked because the characters worked, as opposed to the plot.

Retreding *to me* would be boring, but we'll see what they do, if I wanted a scene by scene adaptation, I'd play the game. Imo, adaptations are generally weaker when they choose to do this.

Edited by Raja

The fact that they cast Bill's friend, and that Melanie Lynskey is an entirely new character suggests there will definitely be content that fill sin some of the gaps. 

One of my hopes is that they spend a bit of time giving us more of a look at Tess and Joel's life before they meet Ellie than the basically tutorial section of the game. It's the only real look we get at urban life under the yoke of military rule, which is kind of a unique element of this world compared to other zombie apocalypses: there remains a functioning national government and social structures, as well as a rebel movement, with the zombie threat largely under control.

58 minutes ago, Raja said:

Seeing some reviews from people I generally agree with that the series is quite good, so I'm optimistic.

Anna Torv is in this too?

[loosens collar] 

I don't know the games so coming in blind. Definitely low key excited.

58 minutes ago, Raja said:

Seeing some reviews from people I generally agree with that the series is quite good, so I'm optimistic.

I assumed it would be at least good because pretty much everything HBO does is at least good.  

In interviews I've seen with Neil Druckman, the game creator, writer and director, he seemed to be particularly pleased to be able to expand on stuff that got passing mention in the game and stuff that simply had to be excluded from the game. He clearly wrote a more expansive story when developing the game and had to significantly pare it back to fit into a 12-15 hour game.

Something else I hope to see is makeshift weapons and IEDs. I loved crafting the pipe with scissors / kitchen knives duct taped to the end to make for a clicker instakill melee weapon. So satisfying running towards a clicker and smashing its head to a pulp with a bladed pipe. Please can we see Pedro do that at least once in this show. Copious stealth shiving, like an expert backstabbing rogue, would also be good.

14 hours ago, Ran said:

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners got there first.

Not really an adaptation, and neither is Arcane. Both are original stories taking place in the same world as a video game (so is Dragon Age: Absolution, though that is also poor). In fact, Edgerunners makes a surprisingly big deal of the tabletop inspiration ("BASED ON THE UNIVERSE BY MIKE PONDSMITH" is surprisingly massive at the start of every episode) over the video game, despite the visuals and the city design coming from the game.

Last of Us is a direct adaptation of the video game story to a new medium, which is surprisingly rare. The WarCraft movie kind of did that, but the plot of WarCraft 1 is so bare bones as to be almost nonexistent, so it was only really the very vague outline of the video game story and about 95% original stuff in the middle.

Halo, so far, has been a prequel to the games, but it has also changed a shitton of the backstory and added a lot of stuff and messed around with the timeline (to the point where it's unclear if the events of Halo: Reach can even be covered before the story converges with Halo 1). Also, it's not great, although it's not a complete write-off either.

HBO sub went up a dollar a month They told me today.  Today also the first ep of season 3 of HBO’s The Last Of Us was doing a special screening at the Angelica* with a variety of show-connected personalities, etc.  The line snaked around two blocks.

I chatted with a few of the HBO organizers of the event. They said this is going so well they will likely do more of them with programs that appeal to the younger HBO viewer, since they are not reluctant to sit in theaters, which their research says audiences over 30 still are.

* Local movie theater that screens mostly indies, foreign, prestige films.

Edited by Zorral

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

HBO sub went up a dollar a month They told me today.  Today also the first ep of season 3 of HBO’s The Last Of Us was doing a special screening at the Angelica* with a variety of show-connected personalities, etc.  The line snaked around two blocks.

I chatted with a few of the HBO organizers of the event. They said this is going so well they will likely do more of them with programs that appeal to the younger HBO viewer, since they are not reluctant to sit in theaters, which their research says audiences over 30 still are.

* Local movie theater that screens mostly indies, foreign, prestige films.

The first season premieres this Sunday. By chance did you mean the first three episodes of this season?