The Last of Us (HBO) Trailer: Show and game spoilers

psynetik123

1 hour ago, Quijote Light said:

The first season premieres this Sunday. By chance did you mean the first three episodes of this season?

Nope.  I meant the first episode of this season.  Which is the first season.  I seem to have been writing under a delusion there had been two previous seasons.  What do I know about these sorts of games that become shows?  Ha!

I pay no attention to such things, except there was a thread for it here, so that I recalled and thought those who like these shows would be interested.  That's all.

Ya, sure HBO sent me notices but I paid no attention. My apologies!

Edited by Zorral

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

HBO sub went up a dollar a month They told me today.  Today also the first ep of season 3 of HBO’s The Last Of Us was doing a special screening at the Angelica* with a variety of show-connected personalities, etc.  The line snaked around two blocks.

I chatted with a few of the HBO organizers of the event. They said this is going so well they will likely do more of them with programs that appeal to the younger HBO viewer, since they are not reluctant to sit in theaters, which their research says audiences over 30 still are.

* Local movie theater that screens mostly indies, foreign, prestige films.

I'm still definitely wary of sitting in a crowded theatre. So "lines snaking around the block" is information that would definitely keep me from trying to attend.

Without getting into the mess of the specifics of that discussion… that is completely foreign to me.  Theaters here have been full for two years.  It honestly amazes me there are places that they aren’t.  :dunno: 

I'll be holding off watching this weekend as I am all alone, while next weekend I'll be hanging out with my sons and nephew, so we'll watch the first 2 episodes all together. It's not like any of us need to be careful about avoiding spoilers.

It makes sense for ordinary people to suspect terrorists when the outbreak first hits, but given our recent pandemic I wonder how invoking that trope will land. Guessing at Mazin and Druckmann's motivation they possibly want to have a poke at conspiracists trying to find some malicious actor behind every bad thing. Just like with COVID, if this fungus comes from a research facility it will be because of incompetence not intent. Don't ascribe to malice what can be explained by incompetence, as someone one said. Not that I'm saying COVID came from a research facility, only that if it did it would be because someone screwed up not because someone wanted to unleash a plague on the world.

Not directing this towards anyone, but I hope those who've played the game spoiler tag their game stuff.

Anyway, solid first episode. The part until the 2023 plotline had great tension. The scene where Joel and Tess get the "quest" felt the most as a video game adaptation out of everything.

4 minutes ago, whatever... said:

I went into the 2nd game almost quivering with yays

I felt like chunks of it were missing. I felt like that about a lot of stuff the past couple of years. 

I was also doing a lot of drink and weed at the time so who can really say?

I reached that certain part in the second game with the main character from the first, and ended up not playing the game for a solid year. When I eventually played and finished it I loved it. 

1 minute ago, Quijote Light said:

I reached that certain part in the second game with the main character from the first, and ended up not playing the game for a solid year. When I eventually played and finished it I loved it. 

Is this Cyberpunk situation I've heard about similar?

2 minutes ago, whatever... said:

I just mean that, with Cyberpunk, I felt like there were parts... missing. Like smash-cuts that just made no sense

Perhaps I will play it again

This sounds like what I experienced with the tv show Willow. They strove very hard for emotional/pivotal moments that ended up feeling unearned. That’s how I felt with Cyberpunk. Not the vibe I’m getting from this show so far. And I really can’t emphasize how much I love this series. I’m really hoping that this is another Andor.