The Last of Us (HBO) Trailer: Show and game spoilers

psynetik123

I really liked the beginning. Going right off the bat with what the cause of the z-word apocalypse is a novel idea instead of dragging it out forever.  I also thought the two leads were excellent. I hadn't realized that Bella Ramsey is the same age as my daughter: 19. She can definitely pass as an early teenager.

1 minute ago, Quijote Light said:

This sounds like what I experienced with the tv show Willow. They strove very hard for emotional/pivotal moments that ended up feeling unearned. That’s how I felt with Cyberpunk. Not the vibe I’m getting from this show so far. And I really can’t emphasize how much I love this series. I’m really hoping that this is another Andor. 

I have never seen Willow or Andor. I'm assuming by your recommendation that they are of high quality

36 minutes ago, whatever... said:

I went into the 2nd game almost quivering with yays

I felt like chunks of it were missing. I felt like that about a lot of stuff the past couple of years. 

I was also doing a lot of drink and weed at the time so who can really say?

I think the main issue with the second game was the structure.  Splitting it in half the way they did was too jarring and it made it feel like all the upgrades you'd worked toward were worthless when you promptly lost them all.  It would have worked much better if they had cut back and forth imo, both in gameplay and narrative.

Edited by briantw

Just now, whatever... said:

I have never seen Willow or Andor. I'm assuming by your recommendation that they are of high quality

Andor is excellent. It was everything I hoped an adult themed Star Wars show could be. Willow is shit. But if your nostalgia itch is irritating enough, it’s not bad. 

14 minutes ago, briantw said:

I think the main issue with the second game was the structure.  Splitting it in half the way they did was too jarring and it made it feel like all the upgrades you'd worked toward were worthless when you promptly lost them all.  It would have worked much better if they had cut back and forth imo, both in gameplay and narrative.

I agree. 

13 minutes ago, Quijote Light said:

Andor is excellent. It was everything I hoped an adult themed Star Wars show could be. Willow is shit. But if your nostalgia itch is irritating enough, it’s not bad. 

I couldn't take any more Star Wars. Luke showing up at the end of the Mando season felt like a good enough place to leave it be at the time. 

If I wasn't such a pothead I probably would have reread a bunch of the old EU by now

Edited by whatever...

Thought they nailed the prologue. Enjoyed some of the early nods to the game like Sarah’s line about selling hardcore drugs and her Halican Drops shirt. The drive from Joel’s house was almost a mirror image to the game too. Of course the Sarah death was well done. Still very sad. The actress was great. 

I’m curious to get more on Bill. Was excited to see him brought up so early. Looks like ep 3 is when we’ll get him and Frank. Everything I read and hear about ep 3 is that it’s out of this world good so we’ll see. 

The end 30 seconds was quietly one of my favorite parts. Pretty clear on Ellie’s decoding of Joel’s book that Bill is telling him shit lies ahead. I’m wondering if he’s referring to soldiers, infected or both? Not a spoiler but in game they’re not exactly next door neighbors. I guess In show they’ll be a littler closer in proximity to each other. The clicker scream in the background was an awesome ending. 

Edited by l2 0 5 5

6 hours ago, psynetik123 said:

For me, Sarah's death in the TV show didnt hit as hard as in the game.

But apart from that, good episode!

Probably because you knew it was coming.  It’s a shocker in the game because you don’t see kids killed very often in video games.  Hell, you rarely see children at all in video games. 

It'll be interesting to see if this thread has legs. I guess when characters like Sam and Henry, and like, I wonder how many episodes winter will cover. I heard speculation that game 1 will be 2 seasons? Winter would be a good cliffhanger where Ellie realises she's met some very polite cannibals.

Speaking of polite cannibals, while we've seen Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson will be making appearances, I wonder if Nolan North will be making an appearance, perhaps as not a cannibal.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It'll be interesting to see if this thread has legs. I guess when characters like Sam and Henry, and like, I wonder how many episodes winter will cover. I heard speculation that game 1 will be 2 seasons? Winter would be a good cliffhanger where Ellie realises she's met some very polite cannibals.

Speaking of polite cannibals, while we've seen Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson will be making appearances, I wonder if Nolan North will be making an appearance, perhaps as not a cannibal.

Pretty sure I’ve read that Ashley plays Ellie’s mom in flashbacks.