UK Politics - Closing Down Sale

Derfel Cadarn

20 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Bozo's comeback sooner than expected?

He is still being investigated by the Privileges Committee, which will likely not end well for him. Nor will it end well for the Tories if they attempt Paterson the Sequel.

Yet -- the tory lorry water carriers are insisting this isn't Their fault, not really -- just an unfortunate confluence of elements.  It really began long long long ago in a galaxy far away where They weren't doing anything, honest Mom!  It wasn't us, it was somebody else!  Though how that can possibly explain the trussed bird & co and those obscene tax cuts etc., :dunno:

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Yet -- the tory lorry water carriers are insisting this isn't Their fault, not really -- just an unfortunate confluence of elements.  It really began long long long ago in a galaxy far away where They weren't doing anything, honest Mom!  It wasn't us, it was somebody else!  Though how that can possibly explain the trussed bird & co and those obscene tax cuts etc., :dunno:

Actually everyone is being pretty quiet about the whole thing. 

Tory party conference will certainly be interesting 

26 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

He is still being investigated by the Privileges Committee, which will likely not end well for him. Nor will it end well for the Tories if they attempt Paterson the Sequel.

But technically, he could stand in the next leadership contest, no?

It's crazy to think the knives are already out for Truss. She's got plenty of time to be known as the PM with the shortest tenure and the guy who holds the record at least had the decency to die in office.

I'm officially on team Truss killed the Queen now. 

I’m not an expert on the mechanisms of how party leaders get elected, I think the Tory vote has involved party members since 1998 and I recall Ed Milliband changed the rules which lead to Corbyn’s election. Are there any parallels to be drawn between Truss and Corbyn, in so much as it seems like they were both elected by members with immediate vibes of ‘oh shit they’ve elected the wrong person’ by MPs? There’s a weird tension there, if members ultimately decide but then it’s back to MPs and their letters once that’s over. Feels like there’s a flaw in this system.

1 hour ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

so how long before Liz tries to take away the independence of the Bank of England?

I'd say pretty quickly, but it's very hard to do. Apparently her and Kwarteng's circles have reported that the economic shenanigans have been a plot "by the left" to do her and Britain down, which I suspect is news to the Bank of England, hedge fund managers, business leaders and the few remaining competent Tory economists, none of whom you could ever call "on the left."

I believe that under current Tory rules you can't challenge a new sitter in the role of party leader for a year after their installation, so the only choice might be to change that via the 1922 committee or simply collapse the government through a House of Commons vote of no confidence and force a general election, but that would mean many, many Tory MPs voting for their own dismissal.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

I’m not an expert on the mechanisms of how party leaders get elected, I think the Tory vote has involved party members since 1998 and I recall Ed Milliband changed the rules which lead to Corbyn’s election. Are there any parallels to be drawn between Truss and Corbyn, in so much as it seems like they were both elected by members with immediate vibes of ‘oh shit they’ve elected the wrong person’ by MPs? There’s a weird tension there, if members ultimately decide but then it’s back to MPs and their letters once that’s over. Feels like there’s a flaw in this system.

The issue is that you're really standing for two jobs: leader of the Parliamentary group and leader of the national party. It makes sense for the person who holds the one job to hold the other, but as you note, sometimes the two groups don't agree on what kind of leader they want. So you need a system that can produce a compromise candidate, if required.

The irony is, as we've noted before, Labour MPs essentially gamed their own system in an attempt to be fair to members when some of them agreed to nominate Corbyn first time out despite not actually wanting him to be leader. Truss, on the other hand, got to the party vote in a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy: Tory MPs knew she was popular with the membership and wanted to hitch themselves to her wagon as they expected her to win. If they'd been more ruthless and less personally ambitious, she'd have crashed out early.

So Labour messed up the compromise system by trying too hard to be fair and the Tories messed it up by being greedy. Seems about right.

Archived