UK Politics - Closing Down Sale

Derfel Cadarn

9 hours ago, mormont said:

Now he's not specific here, but when this notion has been floated in the past 'business regulation' was understood to include minimum wage, protection from unfair dismissal and data protection rules. Every business under 500 people exempt from all of that. And that's a government minister saying so on the record. 

The Tories really turned into the workers’s party lol.

10 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Solid bed of cunts

If you can’t find a better paid job just move to another country ;)

That Tory leaders feel they can tell people to use less power or get a better job either means they know they are sunk at the next election and just want to troll the country by saying the quiet part out loud, or they actually think they can say these things and think they have sufficient control over the electoral process not to face losing power, or they think it is actually a vote winning strategy.

Charitably I assume it's the trolling option, but I wonder. Axing regulation for medium and smaller businesses seems like a major troll move that would force an incoming Labour +/- Lib Dem +/- SNP govt to spend lots of time and energy on fixing such a monumental mess.

I wonder, if you had a business with >500 employees would you consider breaking the business into separate entities each with <500 employees. It seems there would be enough advantage in doing that for some businesses even with a few thousand employees where functions can be practically split and placed under different management structures. The cost benefit of avoiding a bunch of regulatory compliance costs must be worth putting in place new management structures in many cases.

This is just another signal that behind the doors at No10 and 11 it's just absolute chaos, a bunch of headless chickens with no idea what they are doing. Truss totally blamed the whole 45p tax rate on Kwarteng yesterday, but it also sounded like she didn't know about it. 

Literally the only positive thing I had to say about this Truss government was that they seemed to have a plan and were going to stick to it (even if its a bad plan), but it seems they are going to be following on from Johnson and just U-turning every time they get a bit of bad press on something.

On the positive side those tax cuts were just bad policy so it’s good they’ve flip flopped. On the down side it’s now absolutely clear cut the country is being run by incompetent morons and the next  fuck up is clearly just round the corner, hard to see that inspiring much confidence in the markets.

This probably indicates that the Whips told Truss that Shapps was right, that there would be a huge rebellion, and that the tax cut might not even pass.

But we're still in the hands of the ideologues, folks. The Singapore-on-Thames true believers. Cut taxes, cut regulations, and magically the country will become rich. The culture war we're in isn't so much about social issues (though I'm sure trans people will still be the nominated pariahs when the base needs to be riled up, and Rees-Mogg will be pushing on other equalities issues). It's about whether as a society we look out for each other, or whether it's a free-for-all. Pay for your own healthcare. Get a better job or freeze. Caring for the poor is for charities not governments. That sort of thing.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The lady is for turning after all.

At least one paper claiming she’ll be gone by Christmas, but then how often did they say that about May and Johnson…

Johnson's overwhelming popularity with the general public and the "we don't usually vote unless we recognise one of the candidates from TV," crowd at least explains how he lasted so long, and I think Tory MPs and many members had personal respect for May and recognised her as a viable leader (by late 2010s Conservative standards) in probably just about any other circumstance other than Brexit.

Most Tory MPs did not vote for Truss, many after personal experiences of dealing with her and realising what an absolute compromised nonentity she was, and actively dislike her and are looking for the first excuse to get rid of her, in the vague hope that someone else (Sunak, probably) can right the ship in the limited time left before the election. She's got a level of flat opposition in the party (as opposed to division) that May and Johnson did not have to deal with from Day 1, and a level of beyond-professional dislike that I think neither of them had to deal with either. 

14 minutes ago, mormont said:

But we're still in the hands of the ideologues, folks. The Singapore-on-Thames true believers. Cut taxes, cut regulations, and magically the country will become rich. The culture war we're in isn't so much about social issues (though I'm sure trans people will still be the nominated pariahs when the base needs to be riled up, and Rees-Mogg will be pushing on other equalities issues). It's about whether as a society we look out for each other, or whether it's a free-for-all. Pay for your own healthcare. Get a better job or freeze. Caring for the poor is for charities not governments. That sort of thing.

Yes, these people are idiots. The only good thing is that by not trying to take shit and put it at least in a nice box and tie a bow around it (as Johnson would at least try to do), and just showing to everyone, it makes the chances of them being absolutely destroyed at the next election all the higher.

The only problem is the sheer amount of damage they can do to the country in ~18 months.

The latest: No business with less than 500 employees will be subject to any regulation. Of any description. Be it safety, employment rights, or anything else for that matter. Nobody is safe in Britain anymore.

Surely this is just straight up illegal.

I assume if by regulation they mean secondary legislation then this only requires a majority of cabinet to agree, which means no rebellious back bencher can do anything about it, unless enough of them are willing to support a no confidence vote and take the govt down. I doubt business de-regulation is the hill they would be prepared to die on, though I imagine redwall Tories would be shitting themselves.

Kay Burley kicking the shit out of Chris Philip. I can only assume her fixed rate mortgage deal is nearing an end, and she’s pissed

Watch right to the end - “it was your idea, wasn’t it?”

Archived