UK Politics - Closing Down Sale

Derfel Cadarn

The regulatory rollbacks are frankly more cynical than the top tax rate cut. Tory leaders are so out of touch while also demonstrating they're a new level of feckless. I wouldn't trust these people to run a small grocery store.

As is typical for the Scottish Tory leader, after spending the week urging Nicola Sturgeon to match the 45p tax cut to 'turbocharge' the Scottish economy, Douglas Ross is now hailing the Chancellor's decision to abandon that cut as 'the right decision'.

Maybe it's the wrong decision to turbocharge things according to Douglas? I dunno. I'm sure it all makes sense, in his head.

8 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, perhaps instead of persecuting people for using what is essentially a medicine, the police should focus on the mountains of gak being hoovered off the top of Westminster khazis every fucking week. 

Morphine and fentanyl are also essentially medicines, so it's not all that compelling an argument against prohibiting weed as a recreational substance.

I basically disagree with people who's sole focus is on marijuana law reform. All recreational drugs need law reform. If the reform of marijuana is a stepping stone to a sweeping reform of all drugs then I can get behind it, but if reform ends with marijuana then it is not fixing much at all.

Marijuana use is different because it's so widespread. Laws making it illegal are so widely ignored, and worse, selectively prosecuted, that they really do present social policy issues that other drugs do not.

Making it a class A would be insane. So naturally, I expect the Home Secretary to be enthusiastic about the idea.

I was unaware slavery had gone anywhere. It's just the racial weirdness that was attached to the European and American African slaver ventures that has [mostly] disappeared.

5 hours ago, mormont said:

Marijuana use is different because it's so widespread. Laws making it illegal are so widely ignored, and worse, selectively prosecuted, that they really do present social policy issues that other drugs do not.

Making it a class A would be insane. So naturally, I expect the Home Secretary to be enthusiastic about the idea.

It's low hanging fruit, and it's a popular drug among the respectable classes. But it's not where most of the social harms from drug use are happening, and so it won't address those ongoing social harms.

One could argue that selective enforcement could be eliminated by eliminating the underlying cause, which is systemic racism, and classism. Just changing marijuana laws won't address at all, while addressing systemic racism and classism directly will fix the selective prosecution problem as well as loads of other social harms associated with systemic racism and classism. But addressing systemic racism and classism is hard, so best to just deal with one symptom by reforming marijuana laws instead, and pretend like they did.

Fixing systemic racism and classism isn't going to happen if we pass a law, on the other hand, and it's perfectly sensible when treating a disease to treat the symptoms while also tackling the underlying cause.

But here, we're discussing a proposal to make that symptom much worse.

28 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Tory 2019 manifesto co-author Rachel Wolf says Liz Truss partly won the leadership race due to perceived loyalty to Boris Johnson - but this Government has now junked everything he stood for. She makes the point that this Govt has neither a democratic or Parliamentary mandate

Given that the only thing Boris Johnson stood for, was that Boris Johnson is entitled to power - not to do anything with it, but just for the sake of having it - any government that wasn't headed by Boris Johnsons would have "junked everything he stood for"

Archived