UK Politics - Closing Down Sale

Derfel Cadarn

28 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Binning everything that Nadine did during her tenure is one of the few good decisions Truss has made so far.

Though oddly Truss did offer to keep Dorries on as Culture Secretary, but she refused. Which makes Dorries's position a bit odd - if she was so keen on those policies, why didn't she stay on to push them through? And given she didn't want to stay on how can she blame them for (sensibly, for once) changing course?

I suppose logical thinking was never Mad Nad's strong point.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Binning everything that Nadine did during her tenure is one of the few good decisions Truss has made so far.

What a day that I agree on political matters with both this quotation from you and part of a statement from Nadine Dorries - that Truss has no mandate and should take it to the nation. 

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Nadine Dorries under the impression the sale of Channel 4 was something people wanted

I'll always pop up on this subject as it was the crux of my honors thesis: political mandates do not exist, there is no such thing as a policy mandate and mandates to govern only mean you won a fair election every side can agree on. That's it, full stop.

38 minutes ago, Raja said:

She is aware planes are currently flying to Rwanda? Or does she mean filled with people fleeing persecution?

What an evil woman. 
Pandering to the party, suspecting there are turkeys slated for Christmas who’ll outlive Truss’ premiership

33 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Is anyone currently remortgaging can confirm if the figures being bandied about are real or exaggerated for sensationalism.

Who the fuck has an extra 500 quid a month on top of everything else?

I’m fixed at 1.99% until next August, I think. Not looking forward to then. Ours was a 23 yr term (17 years remaining) so might extend it 2 years to see of that can ease the extra payments. Woukd rather not. On bright side, daughter starts school, so will save nursery money, albeit may have to pay for adter-school club

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Is anyone currently remortgaging can confirm if the figures being bandied about are real or exaggerated for sensationalism.

Who the fuck has an extra 500 quid a month on top of everything else?

Have you tried having more money?

A few more updates from the Tory party conference:

- Donelan promises to abolish GDPR and replace it with a law based on British 'common sense'. The benefits include no longer having to be annoyed by websites asking you if you object to them selling your data. Instead the websites will simply sell your data. Big Brexit win right there.

- After Suella Braverman tells us her dream is to see refugees deported on a plane to an unsafe destination, the Education Secretary says his 'biggest fear' is that private schools might lose their tax breaks. Haven't we all woken in a cold sweat from that nightmare?

- Braverman asks if it's fair that undergraduate students should be allowed to bring dependents with them when they come to the UK, ignoring the fact that undergraduate students are not in fact allowed to bring dependents with them when they come to the UK.

- Tory MP Lee Anderson complains about 'every do gooder' starting food banks to 'make themselves feel good'.

This is all fine.

Archived