UK Politics - Closing Down Sale

Derfel Cadarn

We’ve now entered a timeline where Nadine Dorries is the voice of reason, ie the Tories cant just impose another leader without a GE. Though she probably means the Tories shoukd just stick with Truss.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Watch to the end…

(is in the right thread)

Y'know, the whole Who 'doesn't she look tired?' thing gets overdone, but that 'uh' moment from Truss? That, is going to become defining.

She looks out over a room of journos trying to find a friendly face to ask her a soft question and can't see a single one... and she is totally flummoxed. Lost. Exposed. Trump would bluster and rant: Johnson would waffle. Truss? 'Uh...'

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

PeoplePolling research for TV channel GB News put Labour on 53 per cent, to 19 per cent for Tories and 9 per cent for Liberal Democrats. 

Holy shit. That is fucking hilarious. 

Online predictors suggest that would correlate to a Labour majority of 358 with just 56 Tory MPs surviving.

Kwasi getting sacked for doing...exactly what Truss wanted him to do makes sense.

How terrible was that press conference though, like no one is reassured when she's going on about 'our commmitment to financial stability'

More spending cuts after everyone's realized that austerity was a gigantic failure :)

I like how when sacked from senior roles in government you then have to write a letter praising the person who just sacked you.:lol:

Me as a 12 year old - “Dear Newsagent who just sacked me for refusing to deliver a paper to that house where the dog always tries to bite me, I fully support your goal of delivering newspapers to all your customers and accept that I, as somebody who doesn’t want to be bitten by a dog, am not the correct person to help you fulfil that goal going forward …”

23 minutes ago, mormont said:

Good to see sensible evidence-based policy-making from the Health Secretary and Deputy Prime Minister there.

What’s the problem? Absolutely no downsides to people taking antibiotics for non-bacterial infections…

… oh wait …

I’ve actually noticed my GP being more lax than orevious with regards to this, prescribing them over the phone. But this is a lot worse.

On 10/15/2022 at 12:30 AM, DaveSumm said:

I’ll be curious to see what the angle is for why Kwasi gets sacked, if that’s what’s happening. I mean don’t get me wrong, he appears to be massively shit as a Chancellor, but he’s pretty much only had time for one mini-budget which Truss signed off on. What’ll be the ostensible reason for it?

I would guess she could try to wriggle out of being responsible for the original cut of the 45p rate and the corporate tax rate by saying that it is the Chancellor's responsibility to do the sums and make sure the plan adds up, and she signed off on it at his word that the calculations supported these cuts. Y'know, by the time you get to be chancellor you shouldn't need the PM to check your homework. One could even argue that Truss is too thick to be able to understand the accounting stuff and does need to complete trust her Chancellor to get the numbers right. So doing the tax cuts now and causing all this chaos really is Kwarteng's fault, and he should have told Truss they needed to wait at least 6 months before taking the knife to tax rates.

IMO it's not Truss's economic and financial illiteracy that should sink her, it's her total ineptidude at being PM, being in control of her party and cabinet and conveying a sense of responsibility and stability.

How long on the opposition benches before the Tories can claim to be the strong and stable lot compared the the chaos of Labour, and have a decent enough chink of the electorate believe them? Or are they going to try it on for the next election?

41 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

What’s the problem? Absolutely no downsides to people taking antibiotics for non-bacterial infections…

… oh wait …

I’ve actually noticed my GP being more lax than orevious with regards to this, prescribing them over the phone. But this is a lot worse.

When the entire leadership of the medical community and public health agencies are desperately trying to get people to use less antibiotics. It is a bit of a worry that some GPs are prescribing antibiotics over the phone. One of the few times I can really think that's a good idea is when you were prescribed antibiotics after an in-person consultation and you have still not sufficiently recovered to safely stop taking them without the infection flaring up. So you get an extended prescription.

Archived