UK Politics - Closing Down Sale

Derfel Cadarn

25 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It is a bit of a worry that some GPs are prescribing antibiotics over the phone.

It isn't. GPs are trained doctors with years of experience, antibiotics are exactly the right thing to do with certain indications - and that's why you're calling a GP. Delayed prescriptions are also a thing.

You do not need to see someone physically to make that decision. I can think of 5-10 examples off the top of my head where the story is more than enough.

Edit - this doesn't mean I'm not for Abx stewardship though, it's an important issue and the reason why pharmacists shouldn't be making that decision.

It's a clinical decision, which pharmacists are not trained to make. I love pharmacists & they are an invaluable resource but the decision to prescribe antibotics rests with healthcare professionals trained to make that decision. 

55 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I would guess she could try to wriggle out of being responsible for the original cut of the 45p rate and the corporate tax rate by saying that it is the Chancellor's responsibility to do the sums and make sure the plan adds up, and she signed off on it at his word that the calculations supported these cuts. Y'know, by the time you get to be chancellor you shouldn't need the PM to check your homework. One could even argue that Truss is too thick to be able to understand the accounting stuff and does need to complete trust her Chancellor to get the numbers right. 

But this is exactly what the Office for Budget Responsibility is for, checking the Chancellor’s sums add up, and they offered to do it, and both Kwarteng and Truss refused.

I honestly doubt that cutting human use will work in the mid term if the use of antibiotics in factory farming is not completely outlawed. It might do some good in the short term but in the long term the ship has sailed imo. I recently read that they have failed to reserve key antibiotics for human use only in the EU because the meat industry is far more powerful than doctors will ever be.

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

You have offered a met police inspector 'primo weed' on this very website.  I'm not sure you are in a position to get all judgey. 

Any excuse to avoid taking a crime report …

34 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I haven't put a crime report on in 15 years. I doubt I even could anymore. 

After moving to london i've realized how many of the met police officers have that thin blue line badge. It's 8/10 of the police that end up in our department.

He may come off as a step up but he's talking about spending cuts for public services in one of his first interviews, and this is on the background of public services already getting a spending cut because of inflation. Doesn't fill me with any confidence.

9 hours ago, mormont said:

But this is exactly what the Office for Budget Responsibility is for, checking the Chancellor’s sums add up, and they offered to do it, and both Kwarteng and Truss refused.

Details. The only way Truss would fail to pull off that kind of excuse is if she hadn't already lost the trust and confidence of her party and the public...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/10/15/project-fear-right-along/
Archived version here: https://archive.ph/nLgi4

Project Fear was right all along
Six years of policy confusion and ineptitude has brought a calamitous loss of standing

Downbeat predictions by the Treasury and others on the economic consequences of leaving the EU, contemptuously dismissed at the time by Brexit campaigners as "Project Fear", have been on a long fuse, but they have turned out to be overwhelmingly correct, and if anything have underestimated both the calamitous loss of international standing and the scale of the damage that six years of policy confusion and ineptitude has imposed on the country.
ARTICLE CONTINUES

Archived