UK Politics - Closing Down Sale

Derfel Cadarn

Nadine Dorries' opinion on anything can be overlooked as it is the product of a feverish brain, but it it a fact that the electorate are not going to want to give the Tories a do-over on this. I haven't looked at any polls, but I bet you the Tory party have, and I bet that they show that the clamour for a General Election is going to be off the charts if Truss gets the boot.

Besides they already put Hunt in charge.

30 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Is it even possible to do political satire in the UK anymore? Great comedic minds couldn't come up with half this shit...

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is it even possible to do political satire in the UK anymore? Great comedic minds couldn't come up with half this shit...

I mean, Armando Iannucci retired from satirising British politics in 2012 for precisely this reason and it's only gotten much, _much_ stupider since.

16 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I mean, Armando Iannucci retired from satirising British politics in 2012 for precisely this reason and it's only gotten much, _much_ stupider since.

It's true on both sides of the pond... 

Well, it would appear to be all our fault:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/10/17/liz-truss-victim-british-coup/

I resent what’s been done to Liz Truss and regret this 'very British coup'. Any Tory who welcomes it is a fool

Deviate from orthodoxy, and you’ll be crushed by the Remainer, ‘expert’-driven establishment

I'm not quite sure how it's remainers' fault that Truss is an idiot - didn't the tory party purge itself of all remainers in 2019? And the current crisis is 100% tory.

Hunt could have saved time on his emergency statement by simply posting 'forget everything Kwasi said' on Twitter.

This is really extraordinary stuff. Like, Truss wasn't elected as PM in any meaningful way and had zero public support for her policies but to see it all ditched within weeks like this makes stark the ways in which government in this country is opaque and unaccountable in meaningful ways. It should be deeply worrying to us all the way that this has played out from start to finish. 

Quite incredible events really. Hunt has stepped in like someones dad to sort out the mess created by the unruly child. The humiliation levels for Truss must be through the roof here. Pretty much everything she wanted to do has been canned, and the general message from Hunt is 'sorry, ignore that woman over there, she is crazy, she didn't mean it, we didn't mean it.. here is some reality'

Truss’ energy cost cap suppprt bill, meant to last for two years, her one ‘achievement’ - which she keeps throwing at Labour - will now end in April, according to Hunt.

The next Prime Minister Question Time will be … interesting 

1 minute ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Truss’ energy cost cap suppprt bill, meant to last for two years, her one ‘achievement’ - which she keeps throwing at Labour - will now end in April, according to Hunt.

The next Prime Minister Question Time will be … interesting 

It was also by far the more expensive part of her plan.

Utterly pathetic. Truss hiding from parliament at such a crucial moment.

I really hope that this is the death knell for any remaining shreds of credibility she still has. We really don't want the alternative - that a PM can simply choose not to have to answer to our elected MPs.

10 minutes ago, Raja said:

Jeremy Hunt dares talk about the NHS and protecting the NHS all whilst being an absolute shit show of a health secretary.

Never forget: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-hunt-privatise-nhs-tories-privatising-private-insurance-market-replacement-direct-democracy-a6865306.html

Archived