UK Politics - Closing Down Sale

Derfel Cadarn

4 hours ago, mormont said:

A few more updates from the Tory party conference:

- Donelan promises to abolish GDPR and replace it with a law based on British 'common sense'. The benefits include no longer having to be annoyed by websites asking you if you object to them selling your data. Instead the websites will simply sell your data. Big Brexit win right there.

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I’d vote for anyone that gets rid of the stupid pointless GDPR popups. 

I regret to inform them/you that when you're a small market in the shadow of a much larger market most websites don't actually give a shit about your laws. The EU requires that be there, no one else requires it to not be there so any major website doing business in the EU just has it there for everyone. Trying to actually ban it is more likely to result in them just not doing business with you at all.

Sometimes the issue is sufficiently pressing that it's worth giving it a crack, like in trying to get Amazon or Google to pay the tax they should be paying or to follow local consumer protections, even if you wind up losing.

But the GDPR is at least working towards good ends even if it is, if you'll forgive the technical term, really fucking annoying. I'd prefer they force it to include a reject all button that's saved as the default if you refuse to interact with it.

Signed - Someone far from EU jurisdiction that gets those pop ups on all my websites anyway.

I must be lurking on the wrong websites, because I don't recall any pop ups asking me if I do or don't want my personal data that said website collects to be on-sold. I get the cookie pop ups on some websites, are they the same thing?

How bad is it? I don't really care about clicking on pop-ups that aren't trying to sell me something or wanting me to subscribe to something. It's hardly the biggest problem I will have in a day, and has the feel of being a bit first world problemy to me.

Oh it absolutely is. I'm acknowledging that on a superficial level it is annoying, I get them repeatedly for tech troubleshooting sites etc which is probably when it bothers me more - when its 5 sites in a row back to back while I'm looking for something relevant. Its a good thing though, I prefer having them to having my data sold. I'd just prefer not even being asked if I want my data sold because my answer is literally never "sure, profiteer off my existence, go off"

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I must be lurking on the wrong websites, because I don't recall any pop ups asking me if I do or don't want my personal data that said website collects to be on-sold. I get the cookie pop ups on some websites, are they the same thing?

How bad is it? I don't really care about clicking on pop-ups that aren't trying to sell me something or wanting me to subscribe to something. It's hardly the biggest problem I will have in a day, and has the feel of being a bit first world problemy to me.

In the UK, yeah its every single website comes up with a pop up when you view it for the first time. I know for a fact that nobody ever reads the T&Cs around the cookies, most people click the first button they see. There is a percentage of people who care about it and might look to reject rather than just accept, but most will simply try and get rid of it as quickly as possible. Its a completely pointless piece of law that does nothing but create irritation for everyone using the internet and the quicker it is removed the better.

6 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So was the speech good at least? :idea:

well listening to the soundbite version on the news it was not too bad*.  Well it was basically a fluff peace how she wants to make things better and what she thinks she is gonna achieve  - growth and more money in everyone's pockets.  but nothing on HOW.    I don't think she made any mistakes exactly and no long uncomfortable pauses.  but really it was a lot of words to just say  "I will make everything better"  

She did grin like a demented robot throughout it though.

*for a Truss Speech that says basically nothing.

20 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So was the speech good at least? :idea:

DIdn't watch it but the summary suggests it was desperate stuff from someone who's just taken office. 'The status quo is not an option' (um, you are the status quo). 'I will take unpopular decisions' and 'stay the course' except when we change our minds of course. 'Labour wants to tax energy companies' - this was said as if it were an attack line? 'The SNP don't want to build nuclear power stations', nor do they need to. 

There's a 'coalition against growth' apparently, and nearly everyone not in the Tory party (left unsaid: and quite a few who are) is in it. Ordinary Working People are in favour of everything we like and against demonstrations and strikes (except the ordinary working people taking part in the demonstrations and strikes: to listen to Truss, these are exclusively the activity of paid hard left activists). 

The bar is now so low that getting through the speech without vomiting was stepping over it, but it seems to have been a tired, content-free monologue from someone already under siege. 

There wasn't enough about it for it to be terrible, it was just a load of words. Tax cuts and vibes. In that sense it was probably the best they could have hoped for- there wasn't anything specific she can really be attacked for, because there wasn't anything specific at all. It won't convince anyone who wasn't already convinced, so basically no-one, but I don't think it moved her any closer to the door either.

No disastrous image moments either- there were a couple of lines where she obviously wanted a clap and didn't get one, and one where I think she didn't expect one and had to stop, but no ten second pauses and although the 'let's get them removed' line during the protest was... you know, not good, she didn't get derailed by it in terms of giving her speech. Just... lots of gurning, far too obvious glancing at the autocue, and silly waving of the hands.

"They'd have me killed."

Is what Emma Thompson's character (a PM hopelessly out of her depth, holding extreme but fake political views, who is controlled by shady, nameless forces) said to Rory Kinnear when he asked her why, if she was Prime Minister, she couldn't just run away and leave it all behind.

And now this... 

I'm listening to the speech now and she's giving herself credit for taking action on the energy bills saying 'I couldn't let this happen'

No shit, Liz. The whole country was telling you to take action.

Archived