UK Politics - Closing Down Sale

Derfel Cadarn

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, Corbyn isn't innocent in this entire clusterfuck. Had he agreed to a caretaker PM Ken Clarke, instead of heading into an election with Brexit unresolved and a non-sensical (that's too kind, non-existent more like) position on the big issue, Labour might have done better. Ofc, the problem was there for everyone to see, before the Labour Party conference, but they were unwilling to remove captain soundbite from the wheel (thanks MEMEntum). The Tories were weak and awful, but Labour essentially folded on that election.  That's what gave those clowns their super majority.

The election was as much a vote against Corbyn as it was for Boris, probably more so. Boris' popularity is always overplayed. 

Truss was always a bottom of the barrel selection by the Tories and she has proved to be utterly incompetent in a very short space of time, to nobody's surprise. She has almost certainly doomed the Tories to years in opposition, which might very well be a good thing for them if they can take advantage of that wake up call. It must be quite a headscratcher for them to try and figure out how they managed to squander such an enormous win, but here we are in 2022 and Truss is putting through an agenda which is one that nobody asked for, pretty much the opposite of the one that won the red wall seats. Thats why Gove is being so vocal about it from the backbenches.

On 10/9/2022 at 5:00 AM, Heartofice said:

Try going into the homes of people who can’t afford to pay their fuel bills this winter that ‘Climate change is the most serious issue facing the UK’ and see if you can get out without broken limbs.

If you read Mormont's first article, there is a helpful link to a government report: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60497058

The best way to ease consumers' pain from high energy prices is to stop using fossil fuels rather than drill for more of them, the government's climate advisers say.

Some Tory MPs want the government to expand production of shale and North Sea gas, saying it would lower bills.

But advisers said UK-produced gas would be sold internationally and barely reduce the consumer price.

They said wind and solar power, as well as home insulation, is a better route.

1 minute ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

If you read Mormont's first article, there is a helpful link to a government report: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60497058

This would useful if you were engaging with someone who was concerned about enacting policies to actually help people.

If.

17 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Where does it say that 'Climate change is the most serious issue facing the UK today?'

Hey remember when that extreme heat wave killed loads of (mostly poor) people because your country’s infrastructure isn't built around to accommodate 100 degree temperatures?

What do you think the government should do tolessen the chance of that happening again?

Are you of conservative opinion that people just need to buy more air conditioner and fans?

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Where does it say that 'Climate change is the most serious issue facing the UK today?'

Where did I say it said climate change was the most serious issues facing the UK today?

Drilling for more fossil fuels wouldnt help with those heating bills of the common folk, and so I was trying to clear up the confusion of any casual reader as to whether the solution to a short term crisis and an existential threat were at loggerheads or not.

30 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Where did I say it said climate change was the most serious issues facing the UK today?

Drilling for more fossil fuels wouldnt help with those heating bills of the common folk, and so I was trying to clear up the confusion of any casual reader as to whether the solution to a short term crisis and an existential threat were at loggerheads or not.

You didn’t but Mormont did, which is what I was responding to. 

If Mormont had said ‘we should have looked at other sources of energy in the so we weren’t so reliant on buying fossil fuels externally’ then I would have been in agreement. But the comment I was responding to was the claim that it’s climate change which is the most serious issue facing the UK, and his later attempt to twist his meaning didn’t really justify his comment.

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

But the comment I was responding to was the claim that it’s climate change which is the most serious issue facing the UK,

So do you think the U.K can just like teleport to another planet as the effects of climate change gets more deadly or?

Why do you not think the thing with a reasonable chance  to kill humanity is the most serious issue?

How serious do you think climate change is. Speak plainly for once please.

Since I attended a workshop on evictions in Scotland just today, I'll draw the contrast: in Scotland, there's no such thing as a no-fault eviction, all evictions are discretionary which means an independent tribunal must agree to them, and there's now a temporary moratorium on evictions until March.

Meanwhile in England, not only are they thinking of cancelling the law banning no fault evictions, they're going to reduce the requirements for affordable homes in housing developments because 'growth'. End result, possibly more homes - but since they're not affordable homes, they're likely to be bought by landlords, who can evict tenants with no fault.

It seem like on the US side of the Atlantic a bit of a deal is being made about British lamb exports to the USA resuming after a few decades of not being able to. Am assuming the inability of the EU and USA to come to any arrangement on fresh meat trade has prevented fresh meat exports in either direction.

So a Brexit benefit, finally.

8 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It seem like on the US side of the Atlantic a bit of a deal is being made about British lamb exports to the USA resuming after a few decades of not being able to. Am assuming the inability of the EU and USA to come to any arrangement on fresh meat trade has prevented fresh meat exports in either direction.

So a Brexit benefit, finally.

Does that mean the British have to accept US meat exports now?

58 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I need to stop going in the bbc website. I'm starting to constantly feel an overwhelming sense of dread.

The economic news is genuinely a bit scary right now.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

The economic news is genuinely a bit scary right now.

I may have to delay retirement if they manage to collapse my company pension fund,  cos that also means Hubbys pension is gone too.  And if that happens its also likely my workplace will close down totally screwing us over.

Truss et al. speaking out of both sides of their mouths on every economic issue while now repeatedly changing direction. Not sure how a single person could have faith in this government going forward.

Also, it takes a lot of nerve to argue oil drilling and fracking are green, pro-environment policies

Thread on the backdrop to what is happening right now, off the back of claims by JRM that this isn't due to Gov policy. Summary being that it's complex, Truss' mini budget was a very dumb move at a time of extreme nervousness, against a backdrop of the reality that we are not living a fairy kingdom of free money caused by QE and that return to 'normality' hitting us like a car crash and general mismanagement making everything worse.

But none of this resolves the fact that we’re dealing with three separate crises rolled into one:
1. The fact that the world is struggling to wean itself off the medicine of cheap money and central bank intervention. The UK risks becoming a test case in how not to do this.

2. In hindsight there are some ENORMOUS questions about how and why pension schemes were allowed to follow these investment strategies. And actually that wasn’t the BoE’s job, but the Pensions Regulator, which has been curiously absent from the recent debate…

3. The government has just introduced a new, dangerous dynamic: an uncosted budget and a team who seem to lack the credibility their predecessors enjoyed.
Many of the above issues were global. But this last one seems to be the straw that broke the market’s back in the UK.

Archived