Why do Jaime and Cersei have only three children?

Daenerysthegreat

1 hour ago, Allardyce said:

Cersei had a full-time job entertaining two men, robert and jaime. 

Actually I assume that her husband was too busy even to notice what she was doing. Thanks to hundreds of whores, dozen ladies and couple very unlucky Scotchmen who just happened to be wrong place when king R was horny.

Well supposedly Cersei was terminating all pregnancies that she believed were caused by Robert. I don't know if any specifics were mentioned with regards to a delay between sleeping with Robert and sleeping with Jaime. If there were no delay then perhaps  some of the terminated pregnancies were actually caused by Jaime.

Robert isn't the smartest of men, but Cersei may had thought that it would be suspicious if she continued to have childdren, as she and Robert had less and less sex over the years. She had done her duty and given Robert three alleged heirs to whom he paid little attention. He had sex for the pleasure of sex not because he had to provide heirs. So, who knows, maybe she just didn't want more childdren. Besides pregnancy and particularly childbirth was usually the most dangerous time for a woman in a medieval world, Cersei may had thought having gone through it three times was enough. And she was a vain woman so... moon tea bro.

I don't think there's a technical reason that can be explained in attention to the text. GRRM decided 3 kids were enough to tell his story. Any more would only complicate the plot, the narration and GRRM's objective when writing about the current principal  Lannisters.

17 hours ago, Odej said:

Robert isn't the smartest of men, but Cersei may had thought that it would be suspicious if she continued to have childdren, as she and Robert had less and less sex over the years. She had done her duty and given Robert three alleged heirs to whom he paid little attention. He had sex for the pleasure of sex not because he had to provide heirs. So, who knows, maybe she just didn't want more childdren. Besides pregnancy and particularly childbirth was usually the most dangerous time for a woman in a medieval world, Cersei may had thought having gone through it three times was enough. And she was a vain woman so... moon tea bro.

That's kind of what I think.  My guess she and Robert may have completely stopped having sex, so she isn't going to push her luck with a pregnancy.  So she used moon tea to prevent or terminate conceptions after sex with Jaime.  Or Moonboy, or whoever else.

I think it's another example of Cersie fulfilling Maggie the Frog's prophecy.

In Cersie's efforts to prevent herself from having any of Robert's children, she's been ingesting moon tea to either prevent or end her pregnancies.  Given what moon tea seems to have done to Lysa Aryn, I think it's pretty likely that Cersie has rendered herself sterile at this point, ensuring Maggie's prophecy ends up correct.

Archived