[Spoilers] Episode 107 Discussion

Ran

4 minutes ago, Chad Vader said:

I actually really enjoyed the ending. Laenor really made off pretty good.

Yeah it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I do feel like it might set up some expectations that he's going to return some day? Which could actually be interesting if they go that route. 

There was a bit there where they had me liking Aemond!  Then the confidence of having the biggest dragon immediately made him a dick. oh well. 

Edited by RumHam

Just now, RumHam said:

Yeah it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. I do feel like it might set up some expectations that he's going to return some day? Which could actually be interesting if they go that route. 

There was a bit there where they had me liking Aemond!  Then the confidence of having the biggest dragon immediately made him a dick. oh well. 

Yea Aemonds forst few scenes he seems not at all hateful towards his cousins and he just seems really sad in general. After he gets Vhagar its pretty hard to be humble, especiallt at his age. But tbh, he didnt steal Vhagar. Vhagar chose him.

6 minutes ago, Chad Vader said:

Its always been 8:55 for me. I swear it by the old gods and the new

I wonder if they started doing this to prevent their servers from crashing? Maybe roll it out over the five minutes. 

Whatever Condal said in the interviews, I feel like the decision to have Daemon murder Rhea was basically a redistribution of his much, much more probable murder of Laenor (which I understand wanting to avoid the optics of yet another dead queer character, particularly once they made him a queer black man).

Just as I was complaining (yelling at the tv because I am watching alone) about the murder of Laenor and the speed of Rhaenyra and Daemon getting remarried, they completely threw me for a loop with the last scene. Might be the happiest ending possible, but could in the future raise questions about the legitimacy of Rhaenyra and Daemon’s children.

Very sad funeral for Laena. I liked Jace going to comfort his cousins, even if he had to be prodded to do so. But someone needs to take scissors to the boy’s bangs…

Daemon giggling was stupid and unnecessary. 

Apparently Alicent is talking openly to both her sons about Aegon becoming king, since Aemond referred to Helaena as Aegon’s future queen…

Really enjoyed Aemond claiming the dragon. I think it made more sense to show this one than Laena’s claiming. It gave me more respect for the boy and was reminiscent of Harry Potter first flying his broom.

The fight that led to the maiming was well done. Even though I knew what would happen, it was suspenseful. The aftermath was also suspenseful, but once again, someone gets away with treason— l this time Alicent. At least this time Criston showed a lick of sense. By the way, Graham McTavish is criminally underutilized…

1 minute ago, Colonel Green said:

Whatever Condal said in the interviews, I feel like the decision to have Daemon murder Rhea was basically a redistribution of his much, much more probable murder of Laenor (which I understand wanting to avoid the optics of yet another dead queer character, particularly once they made him a queer black man).

But he did order Laenor's death. This doesn't exactly make him less evil. 

This episode had some of the best writing and acting, and some of the worst directorial and showrunning decisions. Dear lord.

Aemond rode a dragon once and immediately became an asshole LOL :lmao: 

There were so many unintentionally funny moments in this episode. Aemond clinging to the handles of his saddle, Luke saying "I don't want it," the endless shots of the kids pouting, and of course, that ending. Laenor not only let his parents believe that their son was murdered and his children lose their father, he also managed to escape into anonymity--despite having a dragon. Yep, Laenor kinda forgot that he has a dragon. Imagine if D&D wrote this :rofl:

I think Laenor's escape was probably done solely to avoid killing two more gay characters, since that would anger a lot of people. Unfortunately, the writers skipped out on logic instead. 

I changed my mind. Aegon is the best character on the show. He's the only one who knows how to have a good time.

Loved the writing for Corlys and Rhaenys this episode. If they wanted to show that Daemon groomed Rhaenyra, then their scene on the beach was a great example of it--her preening around him saying "you left me" and practically begging him to have her. I liked the fact that she plays with her rings anxiously, like GRRM said she would. Also interesting that whereas Rhaenyra said that fire took their loves away from them, Daemon refused to say that he loved Laena. And to be honest, he doesn't really seem to love Rhaenyra either. Their sex scene was notably un-sexy and felt a little desperate on Rhaenyra's part. It was certainly ominous to have their children stand stone-faced in mourning black (symbolism!) while they wed.

Great acting from Alicent. They're already setting her up as a mad queen, in her own words. I'm starting to think my prediction of a really bizarre love triangle between her, Criston, and Larys is going to happen after all. There was a deliberate juxtaposition between her and Larys staring off of the boat and Rhaenyra and Daemon staring out to sea.

Might be the happiest ending possible, but could in the future raise questions about the legitimacy of Rhaenyra and Daemon’s children.

No, because Rhaenyra and Daemon are married in Targaryen polygamous fashion.

But he did order Laenor's death. This doesn't exactly make him less evil. 

Daemon and Rhaenyra probably planned to fake it from the beginning. They just made it so he would leave his lover behind.

Edited by C.T. Phipps

8 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

murder of Laenor (which I understand wanting to avoid the optics of yet another dead queer character, particularly once they made him a queer black man).

I think that HoD has done a great job in not giving anyone much to get offended about

Edited by Chad Vader

What is it with these rushed episode endings? A slow, deliberate start, good tension buildup, a lot of great character interaction, and then just quick over and done with. Though it did have a great twist at the end. However, it was maybe missing one more piece of dialogue. 

I did really enjoy the episode. Having almost the entire episode at High Tide was a good choice.

While the entire funeral and wake scene was a tad too long, it also gave sufficient exposure to each significant character.

Then the episode picked up nicely with the terrific scene of Aemond bonding Vhagar. Though I admit that the soundtrack from How To Train Your Dragon started playing in my head during the flight. For a short while there, it seemed Aemond was getting the young Alicent treatment, i.e. him being a decent boy who was mistreated by others; but that stopped pretty quickly.

The fight between the kids was brutal but not unrealistic. I liked that they involved Laena’s daughters, as a way to replace Joffrey, and it made sense story-wise. They would be upset that Vhagar had just been taken.

I greatly enjoyed the aftermath scene in the hall with both Rhaenyra and Alicent trying to get the upper hand. It was pretty much a prelude to the real Dance, and the shot at the end with the battle lines clearly drawn as Viserys walked away enforced that. There was some significance there with Rhaenyra staring at Aegon’s Dagger beyond just the threat of the steel, with the fire in the background, but I’m not sure exactly what.

And then there is Laenor’s story. I understand why the writers decided not to outright kill of Laenor, and this was a good way out for them. I thought that scene between Laenor and Rhaenyra was really well done, and it deserved a better follow up than the rushed ending. It seemed quite clear that we were heading towards a crime of passion scene, if Laenor decided to set Qarl aside for Rhaenyra, but instead Daemon once again is the cleaner who needs to get his hands dirty. So really, we got two twists, Laenor’s fake death, and Rhaenyra planning his murder.

I do appreciate that the episode attempted to balance Alicent and Rhaenyra by making Rhaenyra be partially responsible for Laenor’s “death.” Was it because of this that we didn’t get another scene between them? The writers could have easily made Rhaenyra more sympathetic by her telling Laenor that she wants to be with Daemon and have them plan the fake death together. It’s also unclear if Daemon had knowledge of the fake death because we see him randomly take out a servant in the hallway. That whole scene was just rushed.

Of course, Laenor himself is not a paragon of purity – a servant had to be brutally killed to take his place.

The one character I didn’t like at all was Criston Cole. The dude can hardly be called a Kingsguard anymore.

12 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

There were so many unintentionally funny moments in this episode. Aemond clinging to the handles of his saddle, Luke saying "I don't want it," the endless shots of the kids pouting, and of course, that ending.

Lol, PTSD triggering moment. However, I think it was salvaged by the follow up. Luke gave a child's good reasoning why he didn't want it.

And yes, you're right about Seasmoke. How will Addam bond Seasmoke now? Will the dragon forget, too, about Laenor?

Edited by Corvinus85