[Spoilers] Episode 107 Discussion

Ran

I feel DMC post's tone might come off as somewhat rude. It's true there are people that are always looking something to complain about (who are as annoying as they come), but I feel we should not consider all posters who complain here about certain aspects concerning logic to be whining. That's all I'm going to say. I'll sign off for now.

Edited by zajaz

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Not how much this may or may not "whitewash" certain characters - who, btw, weren't very "colored" to begin with.  Get the fuck over yourselves.

Lol, don’t tell people what to think. If you like the show good for you. But destroying five episodes of character development to have one side be the generic villains isn’t good writing.

1 minute ago, Minsc said:

Yeah, Rhaenyra wanted an already maimed child tortured for speaking the truth is hardly better.  Does anyone not think that if the shoe was on the other foot that Rhaenyra wouldn't be making the same demand?

I didn’t get the impression that she was suggesting torture, just questions. In any case, it was a deflection tactic, not a real interest in questioning him. She knows who is influencing him.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeesh, the whining here is laughable.  Do Rhaenyra and Daemon come off as "good" for exiling Laenor and faking his death - immediately after the showrunners deliver a scene where Laenor offers to be a better husband?  No!  Not in the slightest.  But it's interesting -- and, more importantly for this viewer, new.  Laenor willingly doing that obviously isn't in the books...but it doesn't necessarily contradict the books either.

What will be interesting is how/if they deal with Seasmoke.  And more importantly, maybe they dealt with this in the after show shit but certainly not in what I saw, whether Corlys and Rhaenys are aware and how they'll feel about it.  THOSE are the interesting things for devotees.  Not how much this may or may not "whitewash" certain characters - who, btw, weren't very "colored" to begin with.  Get the fuck over yourselves.

Coryls and Rhaenys were clearly not aware, their grief seems legitimate. I really don't think anyone was in on it but Quarl and Laenor. 

The Seasmoke thing is being overblown by us book readers. Did they ever even name the dragon on screen? Plus we're assuming that dragons operate on hard laws and their "bond" can stretch over huge distances. 

2 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

A dragon went looking for its master. That's far from establishing it as a universal constant.

Sunfyre, also almost certainly did the same thing. 

1 minute ago, Colonel Green said:

Rhaenyra didn't ask for that in the show.  Being questioned "sharply" is implicitly what Viserys did afterward, by speaking strictly; nobody reacts like she was asking for him to be tortured.

Pretty sure that questioned sharply is used to reference torture.  That Viserys didn't use torture is just because that isn't who he is as a person more than her demands.

3 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Lol, don’t tell people what to think. If you like the show good for you. But destroying five episodes of character development to have one side be the generic villains isn’t good writing.

I can have own opinion - on the show and the reactions on this thread.  I wasn't attacking anybody at all, but just my general impression.  Don't tell me what to think, thanks.

Just now, butterweedstrover said:

Saint Rhaenyra who is kind, diplomatic, and soft spoken is no young Rhaenyra. 

I mean even when cut with a fucking knife she still doesn’t say something mean or sarcastic.

Maybe she’s learned some discretion and composure since her sulky, whiny teen days?

4 minutes ago, Minsc said:

Pretty sure that questioned sharply is used to reference torture.  That Viserys didn't use torture is just because that isn't who he is as a person more than her demands.

In the books it was, in the show it isn't. Nobody in the scene acts as if Rhaenyra has just demanded that he be tortured.

Rhaenyra killing Laenor would have been a tad harsh, I liked the twist they put on things with his getaway. Might they have him return in place of one of the Hulls? 

Great episode though, loved the kid fight. I'm guessing that we'll get new Aegon and Aemonds at some point which will be a shame because those two are perfect. 

6 minutes ago, RumHam said:

The Seasmoke thing is being overblown by us book readers. Did they ever even name the dragon on screen? Plus we're assuming that dragons operate on hard laws and their "bond" can stretch over huge distances. 

You're probably right about that. There hasn't been much of any dragon lore in the shows. It still makes Laenor a pretty terrible person for putting his parents, sons, and nieces through that though.

Just now, C.T. Phipps said:

Book Rhaenyra in all likelihood didn't do the majority of the salicious and awful things Show Rhaenyra has.

Well, that's kind of the point. The show had created their own version of Rhaenyra and Alicent during the first half of the season. Now they're sticking to the FnB interpretation, and the two don't really mesh.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

I can have own opinion - on the show and the reactions on this thread.  I wasn't attacking anybody at all, but just my general impression.  Don't tell me what to think, thanks.

Telling people to “Get the fuck over yourselves.” for thinking white washed characters are white washed is telling them what not not to think with sufficiently offensive language.

1 minute ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

You're probably right about that. There hasn't been much of any dragon lore in the shows. It still makes Laenor a pretty terrible person for putting his parents, sons, and nieces through that though.

but not if he's not given an option. If his boyfriend approaches him and says "your wife and her uncle want you dead, lets bounce instead" you can't fault him for going.