[Spoilers] Episode 107 Discussion

Ran

Just now, RumHam said:

but not if he's not given an option. If his boyfriend approaches him and says "your wife and her uncle want you dead, lets bounce instead" you can't fault him for going. 

It depends on what Daemon and Rhaenyra were actually planning. I took it to be that Laenor was in on it and it was staged. 

5 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It depends on what Daemon and Rhaenyra were actually planning. I took it to be that Laenor was in on it and it was staged. 

That seems to be the consensus and I'm probably wrong, being stoned and maybe having missed some key bit when I looked at my phone.

However as I said Daemon seemed real sinister with Quarl. As someone else pointed out if they're all in on it why go to Quarl at all? Why doesn't Rhaenyra approach her husband? Why does Rhaenyra object that she cares for Laenor? Why does he he resentfully row his own boat in the end? Why do they end on that a twist-reveal?

I think what's confusing people is "set him free" which I took as Daemon saying kill him, not being literal. 

Edit: the only thing that throws me is Daemon killing the guard, which I initially took as him clearing the way for Quarl to get in there. But Laenor isn't dressed in his uniform at the end or anything.

Edited by RumHam

5 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Telling people to “Get the fuck over yourselves.” for thinking white washed characters are white washed is telling them what not not to think with sufficiently offensive language.

No, it's expressing an opinion with offensive language.  Which you apparently want to latch on to for some grudge you hold against me.  Seriously, go to PM at this point.

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

That seems to be the consensus and I'm probably wrong, being stoned and maybe having missed some key bit when I looked at my phone.

However as I said Daemon seemed real sinister with Quarl. As someone else pointed out if they're all in on it why go to Quarl at all? Why doesn't Rhaenyra approach her husband? Why does Rhaenyra object that she cares for Laenor? Why does he he resentfully row his own boat in the end? Why do they end on that a twist-reveal?

I think what's confusing people is "set him free" which I took as Daemon saying kill him, not being literal. 

Either Leanor was in on it or not. And as he was Daemon was not referencing him as actually dying. 

He sounds like that cause he’s plotting and that’s his vibe. I mean it sucks for Corlys certainly.

6 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Pre-time jump. Which is the point these two different characterizations are wildly different and inconsistent.

Then say the show is inconsistent with their characterizations, not Rhaenyra is “whitewashed”. The Rhaenyra we are getting now in the show is more or less the book version so you can’t say she’s being whitewashed. The term implies the character in the show is changed to be better than her book version, which is not the case here. 

Granted, it's weird that Daemon wanted witnesses if Laenor was supposed to escape. He could have killed anyone in his place. What if more than one person showed up?

These aren't world-ending plotholes, but they are the kind of thing people crucified D&D for.

2 minutes ago, teej6 said:

Then say the show is inconsistent with their characterizations, not Rhaenyra is “whitewashed”. The Rhaenyra we are getting now in the show is more or less the book version so you can’t say she’s being whitewashed. The term implies the character in the show is changed to be better than her book version, which is not the case here. 

Hold up a sec. You liked a comment which said Rhaenyra’s book character was portrayed as overly salacious so this isn’t about book accuracy. it’s about why whitewashing her character is probably more true to the book than the book itself. 

But then the show already established something different so why whitewash her now (which they are). 

4 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Rum, if they did that Daemon wouldn’t have killed the guard or whoever.

I'm not sure this is true. Isn't Laenor's first line in the scene something like "how did you get into my father's hall?" That's how. Daemon killed the guard.

Edit: the guard who would have defended Laenor

Edited by RumHam

2 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I found it amusing how they low keyed the "greens" in the dialogue in this episode. This is the first mention of one of the two monikers. Up until now we had only the visual ques. 

Well the fact even her - and Viserys' - kids were always wearing it had to be brought up sooner or later, right?

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

I'm not sure this is true. Isn't Laenor's first line in the scene something like "how did you get into my father's hall?" That's how. Daemon killed the guard. 

That guy was just a servant in the Velaryon livery. Guards all wear armor. Laenor put his boots on the corpse. Laenor's and Qarl's lines were for show, since there was a witness, the kid who ran to get the guards.

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

He’s talking to Qarl who he is working with. They are pretending to fight so the squire (witness) lets people know it was a lovers quarrel. 

1 hour ago, Rockroi said:

So, this week was probably the most violent episode of ASoIaF where nobody actually died.  

Nobody cares for the smallfolk, not even the audience. So sad.

Btw, it's Aemond, not Aemon. Do not besmirch the name of the wisest of maesters and the greatest of knights with this prick.

2 hours ago, butterweedstrover said:

Hold up a sec. You liked a comment which said Rhaenyra’s book character was portrayed as overly salacious so this isn’t about book accuracy. it’s about why whitewashing her character is probably more true to the book than the book itself. 

But then the show already established something different so why whitewash her now (which they are). 

I have no idea what you are rambling about as usual. My liking a comment has what to do with what??

As I posted after Ep 2, I didn’t like the fact that they made Alicent much younger and Rhaenyra’s confidant and best friend as then they would have had to show a pretty convincing falling out between the two, which they didn’t. And Alicent’s shift to conniving, ambitious operator on the show was poorly executed. 

Weren’t you the one after episode 4 that stated “Rhaenyra fans are crumbling”. From you past posts, it seems like you are having a hissy fit that your head canon is not coming to pass. 

Edited by teej6

1 minute ago, Corvinus85 said:

That guy was just a servant in the Velaryon livery. Guards all wear armor. Laenor put his boots on the corpse. Laenor's and Qarl's lines were for show, since there was a witness, the kid who ran to get the guards.

2 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

He’s talking to Qarl who he is working with. They are pretending to fight so the squire (witness) lets people know it was a lovers quarrel. 

For the record I got that their lines were for show. But in my version Daemon doesn't know that. He pays Quarl for the one major murder and Quarl is like "what about the guards?" and Daemon promises to take are of that. 

But then Quarl goes to Laenor and they plan their escape.