[Spoilers] Episode 107 Discussion

Ran

5 minutes ago, SeanF said:

For sure, by that stage, Sansa had made herself a target.  She’d struck at the Queen and she’d missed.

I mean Sansa committed multiple acts of treason for no reason.

And I'm stunned they couldn't come up with a single reason for Daenerys to burn down KL other than, "Dragon Womenz be crazy."

5 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Since I’ve criticized Preston Jacobs pretty heavily in the past, it seems fair to give credit where it’s due, such as with this very astute observation: 

Do Targaryens have silver pubes?

But, if so, they may have died them, like Daario does.

1 minute ago, SeanF said:

But, if so, they may have died them, like Daario does.

I doubt they would have had that much time. The bigger question is how Laenor’s own parents didn’t realize it wasn’t his body. His face was burned, but there was still the rest of him.

5 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I doubt they would have had that much time. The bigger question is how Laenor’s own parents didn’t realize it wasn’t his body. His face was burned, but there was still the rest of him.

Maybe they shaved them, then.

32 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The bigger question for three-year-old Joffrey is how he managed to get past his guards unnoticed not once, but three times (first to confront Aemond, second to get his brothers, third to bring them back with him).

Aren't three year olds famous for being quiet?  Especially, when upset.

Edited by Minsc

24 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Since I’ve criticized Preston Jacobs pretty heavily in the past, it seems fair to give credit where it’s due, such as with this very astute observation: 

apparently these people have silver hair with black eyebrows and beard... sooo..

9 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Even just the idea that Qarl killed him and he happened to fall into the fire place is pretty suspicious. Plus nobody's ever going to wonder about the missing guy Daemon killed to use as his body? 

I mean , if you wanna think about it there are A LOT of problems with it . like, Laenor has time to shave his head but not enough time to put on another pair of boots? or isn't there any one else in that castle? and won't that poor unlucky guy's family notice he's gone? ... then again , I always say, details can be overlooked if the story is compelling and to some extend logical. so , if they deal with this Laenor alive thing later on , I'll be fine with it . because , it's so utterly stupid that Rhaenys won't know his son is alive and well and fight for Rhaenyra, presumably his killer . on the other hand , with having Laenor confess he deeply loves the boys , one would imagine he'd be pissed to find out Luke's killed or that he won't be so cruel to play dead when he knows they are already mourning their other father. not to mention , Seasmoke issue.

6 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

apparently these people have silver hair with black eyebrows and beard... sooo..

I mean , if you wanna think about it there are A LOT of problems with it . like, Laenor has time to shave his head but not enough time to put on another pair of boots? or isn't there any one else in that castle? and won't that poor unlucky guy's family notice he's gone? ... then again , I always say, details can be overlooked if the story is compelling and to some extend logical. so , if they deal with this Laenor alive thing later on , I'll be fine with it . because , it's so utterly stupid that Rhaenys won't know his son is alive and well and fight for Rhaenyra, presumably his killer . on the other hand , with having Laenor confess he deeply loves the boys , one would imagine he'd be pissed to find out Luke's killed or that he won't be so cruel to play dead when he knows they are already mourning their other father. not to mention , Seasmoke issue.

Honestly, by the time he finds out about most events in Essos, the Dance will probably be over.

But I predict he'll die on Essos or in war since he wants to be a mercenary and his dragon will be claimed by his half-brother.

I don't believe he'll be Addam, though, because that would render the entire bastard story pointless.

Edited by C.T. Phipps

8 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Honestly, by the time he finds out about most events in Essos, the Dance will probably be over.

nahh. the news will get to Essos before the battle of Gullet . 

8 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

But I predict he'll die on Essos or in war since he wants to be a mercenary and his dragon will be claimed by his half-brother.

that'll be pretty pointless in my opinion . why would they keep him alive just to kill him off screen later on to bring a half-brother/son to ,again, die? they had every opportunity to give us a murder of passion when he decides to stand by Rhaenyra instead of Qarl. 

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

Plus nobody's ever going to wonder about the missing guy Daemon killed to use as his body? 

2 hours ago, EggBlue said:

and won't that poor unlucky guy's family notice he's gone?

Since Qarl got away, the Velaryons may suspect he had help from within, thus they may decide the poor servant was Qarl's conspirator and fled too.

5 hours ago, Ran said:

The fight Martin describes feels like an actual mishap that little kids would get into. The show's version, with its older kids being involved for the most part, felt a bit more over the top and drawn out.

I agree.

The fight was better in the books. The only problem with the fight in the books was Joffrey's involvement. That was ridiculous.

What the show did do better was how the whole thing started over Rhaena's and Aemond's mutual desire for a dragon (which also serves as a symbol for identity and personal agency) and how they 

I have to rewatch the fight because I was talking and reacting rather than listening and watching when it was happening. But basically, what I got from it is that the kids confronted Aemond and Aemond was a callous, disrespectful jerk about the whole thing because he doesn't respect any of them. Rhaena, who is not only mourning the tragic death of her mother (suicide is beyond devastating folks, please don't do it) also is mourning the loss of her birthright in a way. She gets in Aemond's face and grabs him, and he pushes her off of him. Baela punches him and he punches back harder. Jace and Luc then leap to their cousin's defense (up until that point, it was just about ownership of Vhagar) to which Aemond breaks Luc's nose and calls them bastards. That is the point where Jace draws the knife. Or was it after Aemond started choking Luc and held him at rockpoint. Or was it after Aemond threatened to burn them all to death...another low blow to both the Targaryen girls and the Velaryon boys.

In any case all of those events happen. Jace, Baela and Rhaena proceed to beat Aemond up until Aemond is able to get them off of him. Luc picks up the knife and slashes at Aemond.

Luc's slashing of Aemond is a bit unrealistic for a child that age but whatever.

On 10/2/2022 at 7:17 PM, nara said:

Daemon giggling was stupid and unnecessary. 

I thought it was entirely appropriate considering what he was laughing at: what Vaemond said as he was eulogizing Laena:

Salt courses through Velaryon blood. Ours runs thick. Ours runs true. And ours must never thin.

It’s totally laughable considering Laena was half Targaryen, and her daughters are only 25% Velaryon. Better Daemon laugh than take offense.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

In the books, yes, if Dany is anything to go by (which I assume she is). On the show, probably no based on the eyebrow situation going on with the vast majority of Targaryens and Velaryons.

I had two issues with their burning him that way. Why were the guards trying to use pokers to lever his body out of the fires and not just grabbing the unburned legs and pulling? And, as noted, his body... so he's been a warrior fighting in the Stepstones and all that. Daemon's covered in scars. I guess we're to take it warrior Laenor never got himself some nice scars on his lower body as well? Anything is possible, but it does strain credulity a little bit about taking this risk, again.

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

I guess we're to take it warrior Laenor never got himself some nice scars on his lower body as well?

Excellent point. However, who would know that they could ask, other than Rhaenyra, and she could always make the excuse she preferred making love in the dark and had no idea, which no one would question considering everyone knows Laenor’s nature, and Qarl is gone. It’s also assuming there’s any reason for anyone at Driftmark to suspect it’s not Laenor.

As for using pokers…if they pull the legs, there’s a high probability they could sever the body leaving the burning part in the fire. Have you ever grilled meat like split chicken and had part of it stick to the grill? If you grab the bottom of the leg bone, chances are you’re just going to get that bone with the rest of the half stuck to the grill.

18 minutes ago, ShadowKitteh said:

However, who would know that they could ask

Injuries when training as a squire and young knight at Driftmark would have been something his family and the local maester(s) knew of, injuries at the Stepstones, again his comrades in arms and the maester(s) on hand and probably his father...

Actually, it just made me realize his lance wound talk in episode 6 is a little funny because surely Rhaenyra had at some point seen him shirtless and would have known about it. But then again, he's just babbling trying to be helpful and sympathetic.

I guess we should just assume he was lucky to never take an arrow to the knee thigh or what have you.

45 minutes ago, ShadowKitteh said:

I thought it was entirely appropriate considering what he was laughing at: what Vaemond said as he was eulogizing Laena:

Salt courses through Velaryon blood. Ours runs thick. Ours runs true. And ours must never thin.

It’s totally laughable considering Laena was half Targaryen, and her daughters are only 25% Velaryon. Better Daemon laugh than take offense.

I think the laughing would be a lot more defensible if his daughter's weren't there. He just comes off like a shit father so far. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Since Qarl got away, the Velaryons may suspect he had help from within, thus they may decide the poor servant was Qarl's conspirator and fled too.

True, but like are they supposed to think it's a conspiracy or a moment of anger and passion? If it was a planned murder and he had help I think you then have to wonder what the motive was. That would naturally lead you to Daemon and Rhaenyra. Especially given the uuh...tasteless timing of their wedding. 

I dunno the whole thing seems like it comes apart if you think about it for too long, and I could see a parent not wanting to believe that unrecognizable corpse was her child. 

On 10/3/2022 at 2:03 AM, BlackLightning said:

And the way that Alicent publicly insulted Laenor for his sexuality behind his back. Classy. Corlys was upset by it, but I'm surprised that that didn't cause more of an issue

I'm not sure if someone said this, but it read like Alicent was desperately trying to change the subject of who told Aemond that Rhaenyra's sons were bastards. If Corlys/Rhaenys tried to say something to Alicent about her jibe at Laenor it would've derailed Viserys' interrogation of Aemond. 

8 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

By the way - why the hell do they pronounce 'Lucerys' in a way that would imply the nickname there should be 'Luce' rather than 'Luke'. 'Jace' gives us an inclination how you should pronounce 'Jacaerys', and the same is true for 'Luke' and 'Lucerys'.

maybe its just me, but it sounds like they switch back and forth on the show. like "Jasaerys " and "Jakaerys"