[Spoilers] Episode 107 Discussion

Ran

Viserys confused Alicent and Aemma this episode, Daemon comments that how cruel the gods have been to Viserys. He's pretty much dying however slowly. Giving the job to someone newer and younger and seeing if they are good at the job may not be something Viserys sees himself capable of at this point. Going back to a known capable administrator makes sense to me.

On 10/3/2022 at 6:50 PM, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Yes, Vaemond was basically alluding to most everything that was alluded to last week, when it wasn't said outright, LOL  Having read that the show seems it will follow the book in regard to Vaemond and perhaps the Silent Five (?), it's a good setup for the claim to Driftmark, and of course Vaemond leaves out the girls.  As you say, the theme of women being passed over for men is shown.  It makes me wonder if that is Vaemond's natural tendency or further proof of his own self interest.  Probably both.  I have to say, though, the actor has brought Vaemond to life just as well as all the rest of the performers for House Velaryon.  This episode made me really miss the idea of seeing more of them.  All of them, all ages.  

Ah, interesting questions on different scenarios for Rhaenys and Corlys, but now I'd have to choose which version to try them all out on, book or show.  Add in an offer to marry one of the girls to Vaemond or one of his sons and we'd have yet another possible layer.  I am looking forward to seeing how things evolve between the Rhaenys and Corlys and how the show changes might take us different places than we'd expect as readers.   

HA:  Found this on Twitter.  I guess we weren't the only ones to translate Vaemond's eulogy, so to speak.  

I haven’t sent the preview but I know the next ep is titled Lord of the Tides so we should definitely see a more Velaryion centric episode. Vaemond’s eulogy, Rhaenys pushing Baela as heir over Luke, it looks like they are cooking that conflict and at some point they have to serve it! I’m all for seeing it :D

6 minutes ago, Denam_Pavel said:

Viserys confused Alicent and Aemma this episode, Daemon comments that how cruel the gods have been to Viserys. He's pretty much dying however slowly. Giving the job to someone newer and younger and seeing if they are good at the job may not be something Viserys sees himself capable of at this point. Going back to a known capable administrator makes sense to me.

It does make sense that Otto is among the candidates ... but it doesn't make sense that the show just has him back in the office again with there being no other people even being considered.

I'd not say Viserys confused Alicent and Aemma - he seems to have been deep in thought, thinking about Aemma, and then he made a mistake. He is not senile or generally confused.

40 minutes ago, TormundsWoman said:

I haven’t sent the preview but I know the next ep is titled Lord of the Tides so we should definitely see a more Velaryion centric episode. Vaemond’s eulogy, Rhaenys pushing Baela as heir over Luke, it looks like they are cooking that conflict and at some point they have to serve it! I’m all for seeing it :D

We can imagine that Vaemond bites the dust in that episode, just as we can imagine that the betrothals between Baela & Rhaena and Jace & Luke are either arranged in that episode, or shown as established facts during the episode (Rhaenyra having Jace spend time with Baela and Rhaena basically set things up for that).

The show handles the Driftmark succession issue much better than George, by the way.

FaB has the ridiculous scenario of Corlys Velaryon not naming a new heir after both his children have died ... nor does it even mention the claims of Laena's daughters (who should come before Vaemond Velaryons and the other nephews and their children in both book and show). Instead, we have a Corlys and a Rhaenyra there who didn't think about installing Luke as the new heir of Driftmark for years and years (!) ... which may be good writing if the characters in question were supposed to be demented or otherwise confused, but not if either of them were wanting to secure their legacy and lordships for their younger descendants.

The show has Corlys already viewing and grooming Luke as his eventual heir, meaning it is quite clear who the heir will be in his eyes after Laenor's alleged death. Rhaenys would prefer Baela, setting up the big reason why those betrothals are going to take place.

One would imagine that Rhaenys is going to be pleased even more if Baela is chosen to be the queen at Jace's side.

One imagines the show spins it so that Corlys' failing health will cause Vaemond to a make a move, pushing aside Corlys' chosen heir. We won't get a scenario where the succession of Driftmark is 'unclear' because no new heir has been named.

The whole thing will just be trial run for the later Green coup. And one imagines that Otto and Alicent and Criston realized that Vaemond Velaryon was a potential ally of theirs. They were right there hearing the eulogy he gave at the funeral.

9 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Maybe I’m misremembering, but I thought that Criston only remarked that Larys was watching Alicent, not that he didn’t recognize him.

Yeah, he knows who he was ... but Alicent also seems to be pretty private with the things she does with Larys. And him being in her private chambers prior to her getting there could be a hint that he took a secret back door or at least circumvented the guards.

It seems as if Criston only now realizes that Larys has the hots for the queen.

3 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Yeah, he knows who he was ... but Alicent also seems to be pretty private with the things she does with Larys. And him being in her private chambers prior to her getting there could be a hint that he took a secret back door or at least circumvented the guards.

It seems as if Criston only now realizes that Larys has the hots for the queen.

Well, there is that rumored deleted scene about the feet. . .

Just now, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I meant more that maybe Criston didn't know that Alicent and Larys have been meeting regularly.

Oh yeah I got that too. I don't know how Kingsguard shifts work, but he can't be on duty all the time, maybe she makes a point of only meeting Larys when he's not there. 

25 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Well, there is that rumored deleted scene about the feet. . .

Do you know was this rumored by the same guy who started the debunked "Laena claimed Vhagar at Alicent's wedding" deleted scene rumor? 

She does take her shoes off in that dinner scene though. How often do we see characters do that. 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

Do you know was this rumored by the same guy who started the debunked "Laena claimed Vhagar at Alicent's wedding" deleted scene rumor? 

She does take her shoes off in that dinner scene though. How often do we see characters do that. 

The foot fetish scene seems to have been cut. The source for the Laena-Vhagar scene was apparently also the guy who told Joffrey told Criston about the moon tea.

Not sure if Alicent would put her feet on the table as 'dessert' for Larys, or if they were going with the camera zooming in on her naked feet and implying that something more was going on there, but stuff is missing there.

Alicent also seemed to be worried about her servant bursting in when they were 'at it', not so much because, you know, the queen was enjoying a nice dinner.

I really want to see that scene restored and/or this kind of relationship referenced, since it is quite odd for pious and dutiful Alicent to enter in such a thing.

8 minutes ago, RumHam said:

No, it was from a much more detailed leak that has been right about pretty much everything so far.

45 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

The foot fetish scene seems to have been cut. The source for the Laena-Vhagar scene was apparently also the guy who told Joffrey told Criston about the moon tea.

I think some people took a legit leak and sprinkled in some fake info here and there.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

1 hour ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I think some people took a legit leak and sprinkled in some fake info here and there.

Yeah.  Again, unless Tarantino was secretly directing an episode, I don't find it plausible the foot fetish scene was something anyone else would consider, let alone film.