[Poll] How would you rate episode 107?

Ran

How would you rate episode 107?   

62 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

I think I loved the ending scene!!! 

I expected two things: Daemon to pay for Leanor’s assasination because he did it before with his wife and well that’s what show Daemon does. But Rhaenyra being the one with the idea?! Especially after establishing that she and Laenor had a genuinely decent relationship… Whoa!

So was Daemon’s line “let them whisper, we will know the truth” a sign they all together set the fake death up?! That would be the biggest conspiracy ever lol I wonder about that. I hope for Laenor sake that he was in the whole thing since his talk with Rhaenyra. Because right after she pimps that plan to Daemon. Maybe it was Laenor himself who came up with it! Which it totally could be, because he was all prepped and shaved and pushing that boat like his life depended on it.

Second thing I expected: to finally see Alicent and Otto plan it all together and it’s glorious to watch the level of ambition that I expected from them.

At the reckoning scene, while Alicent was losing her shit, Ser Criston was put in his place with a look from Westerling! Loved that.

Aemond was a little shit but he astutely figured out he couldn’t tell the truth of who keeps the flames of hartred going against Rhaenyra’s sons in his fam… they all knew it anyway. And he got Vaghar. Otto, the leech, approved.

The kid actors were 10 outta 10. All of them! Played their little hearts out. 

A 9 from me.

Edited by TormundsWoman

26 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Oh, another episode in the Alicent bad Rhaenyra good storyline. 

Bad writing and incompetent directing. 1/10

Your weekly criticisms of the show are over the top and droll. It's like you're watching a different show than everyone else.

Edited by Corvinus85

4 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Your weekly criticisms of the show are over the top and droll. It's like you're watching a different show than everyone else.

Weekly!?!! 
I’ve only started disliking this show since episode 6. That’s literally two episodes. 

And butchering Alicent’s character and turning Rhaenyra and Daemon into saints is bad writing.

36 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Weekly!?!! 
I’ve only started disliking this show since episode 6. That’s literally two episodes. 

And butchering Alicent’s character and turning Rhaenyra and Daemon into saints is bad writing.

Daemon was turned into a saint? When?

Rhaenyra was involved in planning Laenor's murder. Unclear if she was involved in the fake out.

This episode pretty much shed light on all the bottled up feelings Alicent had over the years. Which was something anyone could figure out with a bit of analysis even in the last episode.

Edited by Corvinus85

7 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Daemon was turned into a saint? When?

Rhaenyra was involved in planning Laenor's murder. Unclear if she was involved in the fake out.

This episode pretty much she light on all the bottled up feelings Alicent had over the years. Which was something anyone could figure out with a bit of analysis even in the last episode.

Oh boy, this is revisionism. 

Daemon and Rhaenyra have been saints since the time skip, which is when I started disliking the show. 

Laenor goes up to Rhaenyra to tell her she needs a real husband. That is when they started coming up with a plan. Daemon, Qarl, Leanor, and Rhaenyra were all in on it.

Edited by butterweedstrover

28 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Weekly!?!! 

You definitely criticized it before then though. Which is fine but your posts make it clear you're not nearly as concerned about quality TV as you are about the greens being portrayed as villains while the blacks are "whitewashed."

There aren't many posters on this board who take it to that Twilight "team vampire or team werewolf" level. 

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

You definitely criticized it before then though. Which is fine but your posts make it clear you're not nearly as concerned about quality TV as you are about the greens being portrayed as villains while the blacks are "whitewashed."

There aren't many posters on this board who take it to that Twilight "team vampire or team werewolf" level. 

First of all I can like something while also pointing out shortfalls which are to me more interesting to discuss. 

Secondly that is the worst thing that is happening these last two episodes because the show was the one to add nuance to Rhaenyra and Alicent and then totally ignored five episodes of development. 

That is a systemic flaw much more important than dark lighting or a lack of humor/satire. 

And yeah, it’s personally frustrating for me which is why I bring it up because Emily’s Alicent was my favorite part of the show. The total disregard for continuity is bad and the favoritism goes against Martin’s claim that this is a morally grey story with no good guys or bad guys. 

The good team is obvious and the bad team is obvious.

7 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

The good team is obvious and the bad team is obvious.

I think it was the same in the book though. It's not a good team / bad team thing. I think the Blacks are in the right. That doesn't mean I think they are "good." It doesn't mean I like them. 

Nobody liked Stannis, but those backing him were right, no? Legally he was entitled. 

That said the characters I do like "Nettles, Addam/Alyn, Rhaenys" tend to be blacks. I liked Daeron too, and Alys Harroway. 

39 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Weekly!?!! 

23 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Oh boy, this is revisionism. 

Daemon and Rhaenyra have been saints since the time skip, which is when I started disliking the show. 

Laenor goes up to Rhaenyra to tell her she needs a real husband. That is when they started coming up with a plan. Daemon, Qarl, Leanor, and Rhaenyra were all in on it.

Since we're talking about revisionism, you've been giving the early episodes, what?, an average of 5/10 and then you gave last week's episode a 3/10 and writing enough posts to show your disdain. Excuse me for believing you've disliked the show from the start.

Laenor and Rhaenyra's scene gave zero indication that they started hatching a plot together. At best, the ending of that scene indicates that maybe Rhaenyra decided that she needs another husband. Laenor, for his part, clearly states that he will recommit himself to her and that he will raise the kids to be princes of the realm. 

I've watched the ending again, because it is incredibly rushed. It's Daemon and Rhaenyra who start hatching the plot, and they likely bring Laenor in later. He agrees, which kinda mars his character, given what needs to be done for the plot, and what it means for him to abandon his family. Rhaenyra wants to get rid off Laenor, and while she agrees to this death fake out plan, I don't see how that makes her a "saint". Both her and Daemon continue to be morally gray characters.

1 minute ago, Corvinus85 said:

Since we're talking about revisionism, you've been giving the early episodes, what?, an average of 5/10 and then you gave last week's episode a 3/10 and writing enough posts to show your disdain. Excuse me for believing you've disliked the show from the start. 

5/10 isn’t a bad score, it’s average. I thought the show was average with a few great moments. Now I think it’s bad.

1 minute ago, Corvinus85 said:

Laenor and Rhaenyra's scene gave zero indication that they started hatching a plot together. At best, the ending of that scene indicates that maybe Rhaenyra decided that she needs another husband. Laenor, for his part, clearly states that he will recommit himself to her and that he will raise the kids to be princes of the realm. 

I've watched the ending again, because it is incredibly rushed. It's Daemon and Rhaenyra who start hatching the plot, and they likely bring Laenor in later. He agrees, which kinda mars his character, given what needs to be done for the plot, and what it means for him to abandon his family. Rhaenyra wants to get rid off Laenor, and while she agrees to this death fake out plan, I don't see how that makes her a "saint". Both her and Daemon continue to be morally gray characters.

But it sort of does. This isn’t Mary Poppins, characters in this world have to make tough decisive decisions. Everything ‘gray’ Rhaenyra does is made to get the audience on her side and fits as putting her safely in the good side of this world. 

Not everyone can be like Helaena who is pure and good because she doesn’t have a role to play and is just there to give other characters agency.

I gave it a 7, although it's actually a 7.5. It was a good episode, but the first half was way too slow, and that funeral had too little dialogue and lasted way too long (and Daemon giggling was a bit off-putting, tbh). Things got better when it finally ended, though.

Aemond has been my favorite character in the past 2 episodes. He got cocky after claiming a dragon, but I'm happy that he finally got one and I felt sorry for him losing an eye. Even in F&B, I liked how he shrugged it off in such a blasé way, so I'm glad they kept that part and made him try to calm his mother. I wish the show could've kept the actors who play Aegon and Aemond, because they make those characters a lot more sympathetic and likable.

I liked Alicent in this episode, even though I hate that she's associating with Larys and Cole, the most despicable characters of the show. I understood her frustration and I was glad that she finally let it all out, even though she shouldn't have done it so publicly and in the way she did. It's different from the book counterpart, who was less anxious and a lot colder. And even in F&B, I could see why Alicent got so pissed off at the fact that there was no justice for her son. I also liked her scene with Otto, and their interactions with Aegon made me understand why he'll eventually "dump" both of them after taking the throne.

Corlys and Rhaenys are lovely and I'm always happy to see them on screen. They have a great chemistry!

About Rhaenyra, well, I love her, but I can't bring myself to care about her relationship with Daemon. He's my favorite character in the Dance, but I don't think HotD is doing a great job at making him grey, nuanced, sympathetic, or interesting, imo. Sometimes I even forget that he exists when I'm talking about the show (and I'm not going to lie: I still find it hard to get used to Matt Smith's goofy looks). Anyway, I also don't know what to make of their plan wrt Laenor, but overall I liked it. Even if it was rushed and raised some questions (such as "but what about his dragon?"), it was a nice twist. I felt sorry for Laenor's parents, though :(

PS.: I didn't understand how Alicent got the power to boss Criston around like that, considering that he's sworn to the King, whose mercy he depends on. Viserys really should have sent him to the Night's Watch after he murdered Joffrey.

52 minutes ago, VisenyaTargaryen said:

PS.: I didn't understand how Alicent got the power to boss Criston around like that, considering that he's sworn to the King, whose mercy he depends on. Viserys really should have sent him to the Night's Watch after he murdered Joffrey.

He is her sworn shield, basically assigned to her as a personal guard. Normally, he would follow her commands, and maybe if it had not been in the public eye and before the king he might well have done as she asked... but he was where he was and fell back on his role as a protector, that his role is to protect her and he will follow her commands that further that but no more.

4 hours ago, VisenyaTargaryen said:

Cole is her creature now.

I find "justice" for Aemond to be a damn weak claim given four other children disputing the events, their injuries corroborating and their status as more important in the line of succession (something that frustrates me in general because they don't seem to ever play into this and actually treat it as the opposite because that's convenient) ... but there is the continued portrayal of Allicent lying to herself about not being blind to her children like Viserys is with Rhaenyra. Still, the length she went to was tough to swallow and removed me from the story somewhat.

Oh well, fairly small complaint ... as are many of the other bits I could mention. Maybe an 8/10. Nice to be moving towards truer conflict.

Edited by Ser Not Appearing

I gave it a 6.  For me ever since that original wedding episode its felt like it went a bit downhill.  The pacing is very erratic, you have the funeral/wake that seemed to linger while other events or things wisp through, I get they have a lot of ground to cover it just doesn't seem as organic if that makes sense.  I'm still adjusting to the change of actors.  Its a tough transition bc Alicent and Rhaenyra's previous actresses, and characters at the time, felt so much more sympathetic where I could somewhat root for them a bit, while where we are now, they both just seem insufferable to me.  There is no 1 to kinda get behind, everyone is unlikable outside of king. 

Lastly, the tone of the show is very 1 note, it could use some levity or even happy moments.  When everything seems bleak or dark it needs contrast or it won't be as impactful, at least for me.