[Poll] How would you rate episode 107?

Ran

How would you rate episode 107?   

62 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

6/10

Quite rushed and choppy and now there is not a single character that is likeable.  Thats OK, it not a soap opera, its a history.

We get it.  Allicent is evil, wicked, mean and nasty, she is quite beautiful though, at least the actress is.  Rhaeneyra is a washed out old maid in comparison. JMHO.

Ride a dragon, fight your relatives and lose an eye.  Quite a night.  Weddings and funerals are both something to avoid in the lands of F&I.

I dont know what happens as Im only part way through the book but Id love to see Westerling take out Cole.  Dont tell me.

Who was it that died and was found in the fireplace so that Laenor could escape?  Anyone we know or a random servant having a bad day?  I may have missed that.

Edited by Ser Graymax

I think there were  2 key moments in this ep.

1. Alicent "I have no friends" turned into Bitch Alicent "I have no friends" and cut Rh.  At one moment, the characters seem to take up sides, physically.  From above, the camera shows us that Rh has her father in law, Daemon, herself, and her two boys.  Alicent has nobody, then her father. Cole was held back. All the talk of blood at the funeral played itself out with Alicent playing with the weaker hand and the less pure blood.  It also showed the triangle weak Viserys allowed to exist between himself, Alicent, and Rh.

2. The second was the plot to get rid of Laenor.  I got it, understood it, and approved of it, but I could not get beyond the utter grief of his parents, losing a second child so soon after the first. Heartbreaking.

I am annoyed that Aemond got away with being a shit when there were 4 witnesses who could report that he was violent and abusive.  It also made me wonder about who is the better mother because Rh's boys seemed pretty sturdy to me and well loved.

The rest underlined what we already knew -- Larys is poison, Otto H is a sniveling creep, Viserys is weak and sick, and Daemon and Rh were always going to happen.

I give it a 6.

12 hours ago, VisenyaTargaryen said:

I liked Alicent in this episode, even though I hate that she's associating with Larys and Cole, the most despicable characters of the show. I understood her frustration and I was glad that she finally let it all out, even though she shouldn't have done it so publicly and in the way she did.

I think she felt beyond frustration at seeing herself powerless and with no one to back her. She even confused Otto’s line “put down the knife, Alicent” with a condemnation of her actions. She looked surprised when in private he praised her. He’s truly a leech and a snake. His daughter had the balls at least to act on what she thought, he is just scheming and waiting to strike like a snake. “Control your passions”. Ugh

Can the actor be more of a genius in line delivery though!!! Love him.

Also, apart from the whole scene, I would have slapped Viserys when slighted (and basically trolled) her in front of the whole elite court: “ I’m going to bed, Aemma…”

To put salt on those cuts he made, when Harry Westerling  asked if he should accompany Queen Alicent to her rooms, Viserys said to Westerling: no… 

Edited by TormundsWoman

Daemon laughing at the funeral is me watching this show trying to be any good.

Lucerys:`i dont want it` :rofl:

Super long drawn out funeral for no reason... filling time

Rhaenyra: 'i make the effort to make up appearances' lol are you joking?

Viserys to blind Aemond: `look at me` lol

The knife scene was so bad... jesus christ... so so bad... so dumb...

now there are black people everywhere.... lol

7 hours ago, Howland Reed said:

Lastly, the tone of the show is very 1 note, it could use some levity or even happy moments.  When everything seems bleak or dark it needs contrast or it won't be as impactful, at least for me.

I felt the constant dark tone fit the episode and whole story. I see the Dance of the dragons to be much more dark and visceral plot compared to the game of thrones, and that score setting the tone right that a happy ending is not something we will expect

https://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2022/10/house-of-dragon-1x7-driftmark-review.html

HOUSE OF THE DRAGON 1x07 "DRIFTMARK" is an improvement over the previous episode and gives me hope that we're going to be getting over the massive time skips that leave absolutely no consequences to events like Criston Cole's murder of a guest during a royal wedding as well as sparing a knight from suicide. This takes place a reasomable amount of time after the previous episode and is mostly spent dealing with the emotional fallout that has been so far badly lacking from the series.

The premise of this episode is that the various factions of Westeros' royal court have gathered together for Laena Targaryen's funeral. It is happening at Driftmark and all the simmering tensions are coming to a head. There's Daemon's branch of the family, Rhaenyra's spawn, Alicent's scummy little sprogs, King Viserys trying to be peacemaker in a family that hates each other, and the Velaryons. It's really a royal **** show and that just makes it all the better.

Oddly, the MVP of the episode for me is Corlys Velaryon because of his relationship with the obviously not-his-blood grandchildren. I come from a family that included adoption and married an adopted woman, so I am strongly supportive families that don't involve blood kin. Corlys clearly views them as his grandsons and heirs and I like how Rhaenys, his wife, is flat out confused about how her ambitious husband doesn't see this as a problem. It actually implies to me that Laenor may have gotten this attitude from his father.

Speaking of Rhaenys, it's interesting to see someone who is just tired of all the court infighting and scheming as well as someone who has given up on the idea of making a name for herself. She was someone who could have been a contender but given the decades long time jump, has been worn down by it all and now just wants to retire. It's an image of what could have happened to Rhaenyra if she'd chosen to cast aside her ambitions.

Alicent Hightower continues to be portrayed by Olivia Cooke as a vindictive spiteful woman with a possible personality disorder. I buy the dramatic change given the ten year time skip and we even have it textually spelled out she's jealous as well as hate-filled due to the fact Rhaenyra has been able to largely live outside the confines of a woman's expected place in Westeros' patriarchal society. Still, people have expressed how much they missed the more sympathetic Alienct from the first five episodes.

Emma D'Arcy's Rhaenyra is a character I think has been well-served by the time skip as she's actually come to the realization she needs to look after her future after thirty odd years of doing what she wanted. For her children's sake if not for herself. Unfortunately, the die has already been cast and Alicent wants her dead as well as her children. The kind of accusations thrown at them are not something that can easily be cast aside and her husband, Laenor, is a liability since he's been sort of a load for the entirety of their marriage.

Rhaenyra may overestimate Daemon Targaryen, though, since she sees him as the kind of badass warrior prince she needs to kill everyone who stands in the way of her to the throne. Daemon is more or less ignoring his daughters and struggling with his desire for Rhaenyra that he thinks he "saved" by not seducing a decade earlier. Rhaenyra says that wasn't his choice to make and certainly didn't help their situation in any way. Given this is an uncle-niece relationship, I go "ahhh", but Targaryens gonna Targaryen.

My biggest disappointment in the episode, really, is Laenor because my fears about his use in the show was realized. I was never overly concerned about the "Bury the Gays" trope (which I probably should be as a Cis Het man) but the fact that he was just going to show up, stand in the background, and eventually get shoved off stage to get to Daemon/Rhaenyra. Which is pretty much what happens and I feel like is a massive-massive waste of his character.

The children have a big role in the story, particularly Prince Aemond, who is actually the most important Green during the dance aside from Alicent herself. He claims the largest of the dragons in Westeros and goes immediately from being an unimportant second son to one who could become king himself if he desired it. That fits into the larger theme of second sons having no power other what they seize for himself and he's changed the game so the Greens are no longer merely annoying but actually dangerous. We also see a likable bullied boy go from zero to monster in a few scenes too.

In conclusion, this was a better episode than the previous one with lots of emotional beats I enjoyed. I hope it will continue to follow up the events of episodes without any more enormous time skips. I still had some issues with how they sort of casually write out characters that should have full arcs but there's no use complaining about spilled milk too. Indeed, my biggest complaint is they tried to fake out the audience with what our characters decide to do when they could have shown them discussing it--which I feel would have been interesting on its own. My second biggest complaint is that the episode is dark, literally so, and I could barely see what happened half the time.

8/10

This was the best episode so far for me in the sense that almost nothing annoyed the hell out of me.

Craft: The camera-work in the middle-of-the-night scene was unnecessarily confusing; I lost all sense of geography (which white-haired shadow is watching what and where?) – that was poorly done. Plot grinds to a halt in the copulation scenes; I still don’t know who the audience is for that crap. The final Laenor–Qarl–Deamon plot was again very confusingly shot, as if the writers don’t trust the story itself and feel the need to add some cross-cutting.

In-universe nonsense: Almost nobody acted completely insane except for the Kingsguard when Alicent draws a knife and threatens the heir to the throne(!). Their behaviour makes zero sense, and adds another notch to the writers’ we-have-no-idea-about-social-roles-in-this-setting stick.

Budget: Clearly the series has money for many seconds of well-animated dragon CGI when it plays no role for theme or plot – we get to see a character we don’t yet care about get a lot of screen time on Vhagar (rather than her merely circling the tower twice) entirely for his entertainment purposes. The writers don’t get why dragons are useful in-universe – all they can think of is to script a scene that would be emotionally satisfying if we cared for Aemond (which we don’t), and in the middle of one of the few small plot arcs that is already interesting enough in itself and doesn’t need an extended, cool dragon scene.

If only they could spend that money on Daemon or Rhaenyra using their dragons for travel, or to display their power to the realm.

Dialogue: Actually some good dialogue! Still too many scenes and directions of the form “Shot of Deamon looking brooding.” No, Matt: incline your head more!

Still, this was way less incompetently done or deliberate in its denigration of the story’s characters than previous episodes. 7/10

Edited by Happy Ent

I think I give this one a 6.5/10... maybe a 7. I liked it better than last week's, and I genuinely enjoyed the climax of the kids' fight, followed by the Alicent vs. Rhaenyra scene. But so much of what's strong in this episode will seem meaningless if there's yet another time skip that makes half these characters irrelevant, and so many of the big moments aren't landing because there hasn't been character setup for them.

In the end, it's still the pacing that's the problem. The first half of the episode was slow as morasses, but I would have enjoyed some of it... if there had been proper set up. I don't care about Laena's death and funeral, because we barely knew her. I don't care about Aemond's dragonride, spectacle aside, because I just met him. I don't care about Daemon and Rhaenyra's torrid romance, because in the space of three episodes she's already had a torrid romance with Cryston Cole, broke up with him, married someone else and had a long term affair with a guy who then died, and is now back to Daemon. In two episodes, Daemon's gone from murdering wife one, to being vaguely depressed in a marriage with someone else, to losing her, to smirking at her funeral.

And then before you know it they're plotting to fake the death of Laenor, a character who's barely been developed. It really just makes me wonder what the point of introducing half these characters is, if they're just going to be ignored and then shipped off the show. Hopefully he comes back later.

On 10/3/2022 at 8:37 PM, Caligula_K3 said:

It really just makes me wonder what the point of introducing half these characters is, if they're just going to be ignored and then shipped off the show. Hopefully he comes back later.

You know most of the people where I participated and posted, including here, were doubting you can do 2-3 of seasons out of 300 pages and I thought that kind of thinking will have consequences in how they adapt F&B material because in a series you need to build these characters in order to have an impact if something happens to them.

So naturally I believed they’ll flesh out these characters with some side stories or get them involved in the larger story and dilate the linear storyline of F&B, but they actually are sticking pretty close to the format of fake history.

The issue I think is that where bookwise I can read and imagine how Leana is from two theee paragraphs (badass, fearless and kind, a good mom and wife), show wise you have to build and show these things. And they didn’t do it entirely or at least not enough for a portion of the audience to care.

Hence while I give them a lot of latitude because I must have read everything about Dance at least a couple of times in whatever variation there was (novella, fake histories), I completely understand your issue of not caring because you don’t know much about these characters.

On 9/26/2022 at 4:21 AM, TormundsWoman said:

Knives come out, bitches! All the knives.

Looks like you were an episode too soo.

Best episode of the season so far. This is the stuff I've been waiting for.

Seawater vs Fire. I love how they're making Vaemond out to be the outsider of the family. All that talk about Velaryons being of salt and sea is completely opposite to the rest of the family wanting to of fire and blood. Corlys's trying to get a descendant on the throne, his children and grandchildren being dragon riders, Laena wanting to die a dragon rider's death, Vaemond is completely out of touch with the going-ons of his family. It makes total sense why Daemon just burst out into laughter.

Hand turns loom, spool of green, spool of black. Dragons of flesh weaving dragons of thread. Nice visual symbolism going on with Helaena trapping the spider foreshadowing how Larys's machinations in the coming war will ultimately be what leads to his own death.

The boost in confidence that Aemond got after mounting Vhagar was monuments, you can see it in his walk. As a matter of fact, I would have forgiven the terrible day-for-night filming if they opted to have Aemond walking around like Vince McMahon.

And the highlight of the episode, everything from the kids fighting to the showdown  inside the castle hall. I'm truly impressed with how Miguel and co were able to shoot such a convincing scuffle with child actors. There are many other shows and films were this is sloppily done with adult actors, but here, the shot selection, editing, score and sound effects help bring the script to life by not shying away from showing the tension, escalation and consequence of the event.

The contrast in childcare between the greens and the blacks. Puplicly slapping and shouting at your eldest child because he wasn't the to protect his younger sibling and no one is there trying to console Aemond one-eye. Meanwhile Rhaenyra and Rhaenys comfort their children and grandchildren respectively. Love the shouting of the kids when asked to recall what happened, as well as Alicent attempting to deflect attention to the questioning of Aemond by bringing up the whereabouts of Laenor:rofl:.

I also noticed the sharp look that Aemond gives to Rhaenyra when mentions that Aemond ought to be sharply questioned, as if he's the only one who understands the implications of Rhaenyra's words. It seems as if the green's aren't as smart as they think they are, not having planned for Viserys to question the boys where they heard the rumours from. Smart thinking by Aegon to just regurgitate his mother's reasoning for concluding that their bastards instead of selling her out like Aemond did him.

Alicent losing all composure and letting her emotions guide her in getting justice for Aemond was very believable and the messiness I'm all in for. Nice touch separating the room between the eventual greens and blacks. Given his placement at this moment, and the various reaction shots between him and Cole, I've got a suspicious feeling that Harrold Westerling will take on Lord Beesbury's role of pushing Rhaenyra's claim when Viserys dies and be killed by Criston Cole who will then succeed him as Lord Commander, anyone else feeling the same way?

Forever upholding the kingdom, the family, the law with the blade in the foreground and the fire in the background. A thousand opinion pieces could be written about what that imagery means to different people, but instead it's the very predictable "I miss Cersei, Dany, Margaery, Sansa" article. I hate pop culture critics.

I'm pretty surprised that most viewers got tricked into thinking that Draemyra killed Laenor as I felt it was too obvious what was going on. As for how I feel about the change, I'll reserve my judgement until later plot events occur. 

On the negative side, that day-for-night nonsense was hideous to look at, although the complaints on the Internet are rather amusing. Miguel should have gotten Guillermo Navarro to photograph those scenes, he's one of the few how can do this sort of thing properly.

Gave it a 9/10.

On 10/5/2022 at 8:18 AM, Cashless Society said:

Looks like you were an episode too soo.

Best episode of the season so far. This is the stuff I've been waiting for.

Seawater vs Fire. I love how they're making Vaemond out to be the outsider of the family. All that talk about Velaryons being of salt and sea is completely opposite to the rest of the family wanting to of fire and blood. Corlys's trying to get a descendant on the throne, his children and grandchildren being dragon riders, Laena wanting to die a dragon rider's death, Vaemond is completely out of touch with the going-ons of his family. It makes total sense why Daemon just burst out into laughter.

Hand turns loom, spool of green, spool of black. Dragons of flesh weaving dragons of thread. Nice visual symbolism going on with Helaena trapping the spider foreshadowing how Larys's machinations in the coming war will ultimately be what leads to his own death.

The boost in confidence that Aemond got after mounting Vhagar was monuments, you can see it in his walk. As a matter of fact, I would have forgiven the terrible day-for-night filming if they opted to have Aemond walking around like Vince McMahon.

And the highlight of the episode, everything from the kids fighting to the showdown  inside the castle hall. I'm truly impressed with how Miguel and co were able to shoot such a convincing scuffle with child actors. There are many other shows and films were this is sloppily done with adult actors, but here, the shot selection, editing, score and sound effects help bring the script to life by not shying away from showing the tension, escalation and consequence of the event.

The contrast in childcare between the greens and the blacks. Puplicly slapping and shouting at your eldest child because he wasn't the to protect his younger sibling and no one is there trying to console Aemond one-eye. Meanwhile Rhaenyra and Rhaenys comfort their children and grandchildren respectively. Love the shouting of the kids when asked to recall what happened, as well as Alicent attempting to deflect attention to the questioning of Aemond by bringing up the whereabouts of Laenor:rofl:.

I also noticed the sharp look that Aemond gives to Rhaenyra when mentions that Aemond ought to be sharply questioned, as if he's the only one who understands the implications of Rhaenyra's words. It seems as if the green's aren't as smart as they think they are, not having planned for Viserys to question the boys where they heard the rumours from. Smart thinking by Aegon to just regurgitate his mother's reasoning for concluding that their bastards instead of selling her out like Aemond did him.

Alicent losing all composure and letting her emotions guide her in getting justice for Aemond was very believable and the messiness I'm all in for. Nice touch separating the room between the eventual greens and blacks. Given his placement at this moment, and the various reaction shots between him and Cole, I've got a suspicious feeling that Harrold Westerling will take on Lord Beesbury's role of pushing Rhaenyra's claim when Viserys dies and be killed by Criston Cole who will then succeed him as Lord Commander, anyone else feeling the same way?

Forever upholding the kingdom, the family, the law with the blade in the foreground and the fire in the background. A thousand opinion pieces could be written about what that imagery means to different people, but instead it's the very predictable "I miss Cersei, Dany, Margaery, Sansa" article. I hate pop culture critics.

I'm pretty surprised that most viewers got tricked into thinking that Draemyra killed Laenor as I felt it was too obvious what was going on. As for how I feel about the change, I'll reserve my judgement until later plot events occur. 

On the negative side, that day-for-night nonsense was hideous to look at, although the complaints on the Internet are rather amusing. Miguel should have gotten Guillermo Navarro to photograph those scenes, he's one of the few how can do this sort of thing properly.

Gave it a 9/10.

Haha yes the actual knife did come out en ep later!

in regards to your last paragraph: I do believe it’s a possible scenario. Ser Harry was supposed to die around the same time as Grand Maester Runciter a while back when Daemon gets in trouble for seducing his niece, but showwise we only got Mellos and we still have the Lord Commander of the KG Ser Westerling. And we only have just a mention one him dying with no context, so they could have him die at the green council with a slit throat and have Criston Cole do it and replace him as LC of the KG.

It’s actually a very good read of the “compressing characters and rearranging timelines” situation they got going on in HotD. Cool idea!

Helaena's words are also pointing out the fact that this war and all the chaos and grief it causes will be Otto's fault. After all, Hand turns loom

It's also a prophecy about the extinction of dragons. The real dragons ("dragons of flesh") end up making fake dragons ("dragons of thread.") Yes, that could be a reference to Rhaenyra but it's also a reference to how the Targaryens went from bringing real dragons into battle to bringing banners with dragons sewn and painted on them into battle.

We might actually see what (or who) is going to cause dragons to go extinct along with when, how and why.

Smart thinking by Aegon to just regurgitate his mother's reasoning for concluding that their bastards instead of selling her out like Aemond did him.

It was smart thinking.

But with the way that the camera was maneuvered, and the shots were cast and edited, both Aemond and Aegon had clearly heard it from Alicent.

Why Aemond snitched on Aegon is beyond me, but Aegon DID NOT tell Aemond.

For the record, I understand how Alicent feels. It can be extremely maddening and frustrating to deal with people like that. But snatching a dagger off of someone's person and charging at a child in public...that's beyond the pale.

On 10/7/2022 at 5:53 AM, BlackLightning said:

It was smart thinking.

But with the way that the camera was maneuvered, and the shots were cast and edited, both Aemond and Aegon had clearly heard it from Alicent.

Why Aemond snitched on Aegon is beyond me, but Aegon DID NOT tell Aemond.

Aemond wasn't prepared for questioning so he had to think on his feet. Aemond thinks only to answer the question directly, unlike his brother who opts to go around the question. The scene shows that Aegon is not a complete idiot like some people think, when contrasted with the earlier conversation with Aemond about his betrothal to Helaena.

Aemond names his brother because Aegon is the only person he thinks won't face any repercussions for making such accustomed. If Aemond says he heard some servants gossiping, he would be asked why he would believe the words of some lesser beings who have nothing better to do than make shit up, plus they would probably be executed for treason. Despite the threats made to his cousins and nephews, I highly doubt Aemond would actually follow through on them, which also leads me to believe that he isn't comfortable with the deaths of some random people being his fault, at least not at this point in the story. Naming Criston Cole would have him sent to the wall, executed or having to fight in a trial-by-combat. I'm pretty sure Aemond wouldn't want to risk losing his very excellent trainer, who also happens to be his mother's sworn shield. Imagine what Alicent would do to Aemond if that happens? Obviously, Aegon is not going to name his mother or grandfather as it will become clear that that they plan on usurping Rhaenyra. So Aegon is the only person he can name that won't suffer consequences and is known for not caring about becoming king.

For the record, I understand how Alicent feels. It can be extremely maddening and frustrating to deal with people like that. But snatching a dagger off of someone's person and charging at a child in public...that's beyond the pale.

Her child got maimed, her response seems reasonably appropriate. Many parents, even today, would demand the same.

Edited by Cashless Society

14 hours ago, Cashless Society said:

Her child got maimed, her response seems reasonably appropriate. Many parents, even today, would demand the same.

Let's say that we both have children who got in a fight today. My child said some things that were uncalled after doing something that wasn't necessarily wrong and that your child - angered and/or humiliated by what your child said - threw the first punch.

Over the course of this fight, my child fell off a jungle gym and became paralyzed.

Later, at the hospital, the cops show up and it is decided that there is nothing that they can do (it's a civil matter...)

Would it have been appropriate to snatch a police officer's gun out of their holster and start shooting at your child? Or to pick up a scapel or some surgical tool and charge at you?

7/10 It was all right. My issues are the same as always. 

Too much happens over too little time, there’s no room to explore what happens in depth and detail. Emotional payoffs don’t work, I don’t care about any of the characters at this point. I like Viserys but I know he will be gone in the matter of episodes and that’s it. This new Alicent is a horrible person, and yes I suppose you can change this much in ten years, but you know, it would have been nice to witness some of the transformation. I explicitly dislike Rhaenyra, Daemon, Laenor or Criston and I wasn’t given enough time and content to really care about Corlys and Rhaenys,same for the kids, Otto Hightower bores me and doesn’t have the Tywin gravitas and presence. I find it quite difficult to stay invested when I care so little about the characters.

I have no idea where the plot is headed, but it must be damn far off in time that we have to be racing toward it at this speed. It’s honestly damaging to the story at this point. I had a couple minor world building issues, but really my biggest issue with this show is the speed and the characters. 

I liked the dragon claiming scene. It reminded me of Harry Potter and Buckbeak. I liked the kids. I still enjoy when Viserys takes charge and stands his ground or attempts to parent. When Aegon told him everybody knew - that was the strongest character moment anybody had since the time jump. That was a job well done. Driftmark is still a gorgeous set. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

14 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Let's say that we both have children who got in a fight today. My child said some things that were uncalled after doing something that wasn't necessarily wrong and that your child - angered and/or humiliated by what your child said - threw the first punch.

Over the course of this fight, my child fell off a jungle gym and became paralyzed.

Later, at the hospital, the cops show up and it is decided that there is nothing that they can do (it's a civil matter...)

Would it have been appropriate to snatch a police officer's gun out of their holster and start shooting at your child? Or to pick up a scapel or some surgical tool and charge at you?

Perhaps appropriate is not the proper word I'm looking for, maybe logical, unsurprising, or natural.