Watch, Watched, Watching: Festival Time!

Zorral

Interview With the Vampire (2022) season 1 – AMC. The network put up this first episode earlier than scheduled.

Eric Bogosian is terrific as the aging, ill, journalist, in this era of covid. Louis de Pointe du Lac is played by Jacob Anderson, Got's Grey Worm.

It’s fun seeing New Orleans – many of the places are locations with which I’m more than familiar. I can tell when it's the real place, and when it's a set.

Managed to see a few things recently

Spencer, the Princess Diana movie from the guy who did Jackie. I seem to remember that is a hilariously bad Diana movie with Naomi Watts and I was worried this would prove you can’t really put Diana on screen and for it not look weird. I thought this was a good movie though, Kristen Stewart is usually find painful to watch due to her humourless cardboard face, actually does a very good job. 
It’s interesting because it’s basically a psychological horror movie, where the monster is the Royal Family. 

Started watching The Flight Attendent whilst searching around for a show to watch with the other half, and it’s surprisingly entertaining as well. It makes you stand up and notice how much charisma Kayley Cuoco has, I just dismissed her as the Big Bang girl but she’s able to really hold the whole show on her shoulders.

Lastly when I get the chance I’m watching House of the Dragon ( new thread so guess we can talk about it). Won’t say too much other than as a direct contrast to Rings of Power it’s grinding that show into the dust. HotD isn’t perfect, but it seems able to do all the things RoP finds itself incapable of doing. It has a well written script, it has characters with actual personalities and motivations, it looks really nice, costumes are amazing, great actors, location shooting. 

Apparently each episode of RoP is 3x more expensive than a HotD one, and you can only imagine there is some Ozark level money laundering going on somwhere if that is true.

57 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Managed to see a few things recently

Spencer, the Princess Diana movie from the guy who did Jackie. I seem to remember that is a hilariously bad Diana movie with Naomi Watts and I was worried this would prove you can’t really put Diana on screen and for it not look weird. I thought this was a good movie though, Kristen Stewart is usually find painful to watch due to her humourless cardboard face, actually does a very good job. 
It’s interesting because it’s basically a psychological horror movie, where the monster is the Royal Family. 

Started watching The Flight Attendent whilst searching around for a show to watch with the other half, and it’s surprisingly entertaining as well. It makes you stand up and notice how much charisma Kayley Cuoco has, I just dismissed her as the Big Bang girl but she’s able to really hold the whole show on her shoulders.

Lastly when I get the chance I’m watching House of the Dragon ( new thread so guess we can talk about it). Won’t say too much other than as a direct contrast to Rings of Power it’s grinding that show into the dust. HotD isn’t perfect, but it seems able to do all the things RoP finds itself incapable of doing. It has a well written script, it has characters with actual personalities and motivations, it looks really nice, costumes are amazing, great actors, location shooting. 

Apparently each episode of RoP is 3x more expensive than a HotD one, and you can only imagine there is some Ozark level money laundering going on somwhere if that is true.

I don’t know how you feel about Harley Quinn, but Cuoco voices the title character and does an amazing job. 

Finally got around to watching ElysiumThe plot is pretty basic and stupid, the premise is also fairly dumb, but the aesthetic and theme is pure cyberpunk to the core and is quite charming from that perspective. 

Entergalactic: A bit of a chick-flick vibe to it but actually a nice story. This version of New York also reeks of weed apparently. Jesus, I live on the 5th floor of my building and every time one of my neighbors goes outside to blaze up, I know it.

The animation is gorgeous and will look familiar to Spider-Verse fans, although I don't know if there's connection there. Definitely adults only, unless you're a really cool parent. Recommend.

I'm also liking Kleo on Netflix. 

7 hours ago, Quijote Light said:

I don’t know how you feel about Harley Quinn, but Cuoco voices the title character and does an amazing job. 

Oh yes I remember looking that up after thinking whoever was doing Harley Quinn was fantastic, and being really surprised. I very much underestimated her because I’d say BBT really limits her due it being a horrible unfunny insult to humanity. She was wasted in that it seems, glad to see her shining elsewhere.

8 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Story of a teacher sent to remote, high altitude Bhutan, the roof of the World.

Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom https://g.co/kgs/hS5YEE

These elementary age students will make you check yourself over the things many of us take for granted.

Eta: The mountain scenery is worth your time.

Gonna check it out when free!

I watched Moonfall on HBO Max. I knew what I was getting myself into, I knew it was going to be bad and dumb, but I didn't expect so much checking out from the crew. Even Emmerich and the writers must have been checked out. Easily the worst movie of the year. Sam Tarly was the only one who looked like he was trying. And honestly, while the premise may seem outlandish, it falls squarely in the realm of outlandish SF premises, so I had no problem with it. The execution from writing to VFX was utter shit.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I watched Moonfall on HBO Max. I knew what I was getting myself into, I knew it was going to be bad and dumb, but I didn't expect so much checking out from the crew. Even Emmerich and the writers must have been checked out. Easily the worst movie of the year. Sam Tarly was the only one who looked like he was trying. And honestly, while the premise may seem outlandish, it falls squarely in the realm of outlandish SF premises, so I had no problem with it. The execution from writing to VFX was utter shit.

It was a horrible movie, bad at everything. I saw better FX in the reruns of 60's monster movies than some of the scenes from this pile of crap.

10 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Oh yes I remember looking that up after thinking whoever was doing Harley Quinn was fantastic, and being really surprised. I very much underestimated her because I’d say BBT really limits her due it being a horrible unfunny insult to humanity. She was wasted in that it seems, glad to see her shining elsewhere.

I only started Harley Quinn recently (due to much super hero fatigue) and the humor is great.  But it has been distracting so far to have Penny’s voice there but I’m trying to get past it.  My wife and son have had TBBT as background TV too often over the years.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

The parts that I could actually see were great…

Ya, lots of people are saying this; I was able to see it, but not that clearly once it 'got dark.'  It got very murky, per usual with the shows in this universe.  Evidently for many viewers, no matter how up-to-date and sophisticated their set-ups, they got literally black screens for key scenes.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/oct/04/like-it-was-lit-with-a-single-tea-light-for-a-bet-house-of-the-dragon-has-a-terrible-problem

Archived