Watch, Watched, Watching: Festival Time!

Zorral

On 10/7/2022 at 8:22 AM, RhaenysBee said:
Spoiler

She trapped Sayid and questioned him about Alex and she even trapped Ben, are you trying to tell me she never trapped anybody before to question them about Alex? Also, why wouldn’t Ben have this woman killed years and years and years ago? It just doesn’t make any sense at all. 

Spoiler

Well, she "trapped" Ben because he wanted to be trapped.  Sounds like you're at least at the end of Season 3, so that should be clear by now.  Anyway, why Ben hasn't killed her over all these years is eventually addressed -- as is why she hasn't found the barracks over all that time.

As for survivors tending to have checkered pasts, that, too, is eventually addressed.  But still, both Jack and Locke were perfectly upstanding citizens before the crash.  Hurley, Claire and Sun too of course (other than the latter being the daughter of a gangster).  Rose and Bernard, Libby, Michael, Boone.  Juliet and Desmond as well for that matter -- I'm wondering why you don't like Desmond especially as he's one of my favorite characters?

And Charlie's drug addiction makes perfect sense and I liked how they dealt with that.  My favorite is when Liam says something like "you being the only clean rockstar in the world" before Charlie starts using.

30 minutes ago, DMC said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Well, she "trapped" Ben because he wanted to be trapped.  Sounds like you're at least at the end of Season 3, so that should be clear by now.  Anyway, why Ben hasn't killed her over all these years is eventually addressed -- as is why she hasn't found the barracks over all that time.

As for survivors tending to have checkered pasts, that, too, is eventually addressed.  But still, both Jack and Locke were perfectly upstanding citizens before the crash.  Hurley, Claire and Sun too of course (other than the latter being the daughter of a gangster).  Rose and Bernard, Libby, Michael, Boone.  Juliet and Desmond as well for that matter -- I'm wondering why you don't like Desmond especially as he's one of my favorite characters?

And Charlie's drug addiction makes perfect sense and I liked how they dealt with that.  My favorite is when Liam says something like "you being the only clean rockstar in the world" before Charlie starts using.

Yes I finished season 3 last night. 

Spoiler

Yes, I got an inkling, but it raises a whole lot of question that I’m looking forward to some exposition on. It’s believable, authentic to his character that Ben would see two to three steps ahead and plan with a certain set of circumstances. Let’s say he did. How did he know or make sure that Rousseau would hand him over to the camp? How could he be sure that Sayid or Ana Lucia or Sawyer or anybody wouldn’t kill him? Even by accident? He could expect mercy and protection from Jack, sure, he could expect to manipulate John, but how did he foresee or manipulate all the other variables? Did he just rely on luck? I doubt it. I hope they’ll address this. 

it’s not even about how upstanding they were or how morally grey, more  about the extraordinary lived they had. And yes, Shannon, Boone, Bernard, Rose, Libby, even Michael had kinda regular lives. That’s what I miss, more people should have regular lives.

Desmond’s story felt insanely contrived to me from the getgo and his character just didn’t captivate me, I don’t find him relatable in any way and it annoys me that the show is trying too hard to make him happen. But each to their own, it’s a personal thing, I’m sure his character works for some viewers and doesn’t for others. It’s funny because I really really loved Henry Ian Cusick in The 100. He was one of the strongest actors and most likable characters. 

Charlie’s a good character, not the most likable one to me personally, but he makes sense , he’s consistent, he grows, he struggles and he  has some sweet moments of relatability. I always rooted for him and Claire.

3 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:
Spoiler

How did he know or make sure that Rousseau would hand him over to the camp? How could he be sure that Sayid or Ana Lucia or Sawyer or anybody wouldn’t kill him? Even by accident? He could expect mercy and protection from Jack, sure, he could expect to manipulate John, but how did he foresee or manipulate all the other variables? Did he just rely on luck? I doubt it. I hope they’ll address this. 

Spoiler

These are all good questions that, no, Ben nor anyone who's not omniscient couldn't be assured of.  And, let's face it, he definitely took his lumps and Sayid very nearly killed him anyway.  But..he was also dying of cancer.  He obviously assessed it was worth the risk.

I'd honestly add Jack, Hurley, Sun and Claire to the list of those with regular lives.  I mean, they all have baggage sure, but who doesn't?  Other than his long lost father stealing his kidney then eventually trying to kill him, Locke's life is also intentionally depicted as very ordinary.  Hurley winning the lottery certainly is extraordinary, but that's directly tied to the island via the numbers.

Fair enough on Desmond, to each their own.  I will say that episode 4.5 "The Constant" is hands down my favorite episode of the series - and this is a pretty common opinion - and it's Desmond-centered.  So buckle up!

Yeah Charlie definitely isn't my favorite character either, but I liked how the show dealt with his addiction - I can empathize - and thought for the most part his character/actions made a lot of sense.

12 hours ago, DMC said:
  Reveal hidden contents

These are all good questions that, no, Ben nor anyone who's not omniscient couldn't be assured of.  And, let's face it, he definitely took his lumps and Sayid very nearly killed him anyway.  But..he was also dying of cancer.  He obviously assessed it was worth the risk.

I'd honestly add Jack, Hurley, Sun and Claire to the list of those with regular lives.  I mean, they all have baggage sure, but who doesn't?  Other than his long lost father stealing his kidney then eventually trying to kill him, Locke's life is also intentionally depicted as very ordinary.  Hurley winning the lottery certainly is extraordinary, but that's directly tied to the island via the numbers.

Fair enough on Desmond, to each their own.  I will say that episode 4.5 "The Constant" is hands down my favorite episode of the series - and this is a pretty common opinion - and it's Desmond-centered.  So buckle up!

Yeah Charlie definitely isn't my favorite character either, but I liked how the show dealt with his addiction - I can empathize - and thought for the most part his character/actions made a lot of sense.

Spoiler

Yes that’s a fair point. And I suppose it’s his character and personality that he would go on a weeks long manipulation ploy rather than just attempt to make peace with them and ask politely. Juliet suggested this at some point and Ben gave some no-answer to her. 

Yes, I suppose you could say that their lives are semi-regular./slightly amped up for tv interest.

looking forward to that because season 3 ended with a bit of a  narrative mess. 

12 hours ago, RumHam said:

I'm curious how did you like the big twist in that last Jack flashback?

It felt awfully weird and out of character until that shot of Jack sitting in his flat in a pile of rubbish. from then on, when he made the call, I expected the person to show up who did. 

Spoiler

It was quite misleading because he mentioned his father a few times and even the head of surgery didn’t give a straight response. Well, I’m looking forward to at least a full season to build up what we are seeing of Jack and then Hurley with the car. And I assume that he who will wonder where Kate is must be Sawyer. 

6 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Just finished the first season of True Detective, busy with being a fresher in college. It was simply perfect. 

First time? Yes, it is a nearly perfect season of tv. 

I finished We Own This City. It was pretty good. I’m sure it’s been said a million times over but weird seeing certain The Wire alums in different roles from the same setting. Obviously Marlo being the big one, but Jaime Hector was great.

Bernthal and his crew all played the scumbag cop roles perfectly too. They were tough to watch at times, especially that shithead Hersl. Fuck that whole crew irl. Enjoy prison.

7 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

First time? Yes, it is a nearly perfect season of tv. 

Agreed.

Spoiler

I think Maggie was in on it. Her lack of major concern about her daughter's behavior, saying girls experience it first and have to, rich southern dad, probably abused. Her actions conveniently split Rust amd Hart. Manipulative vibes over all. Even after all those years with a big rock on her finger she goes out of her way to get info about the case. Rich southern family is like the Tuttles.

17 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Agreed.

Hide contents

I think Maggie was in on it. Her lack of major concern about her daughter's behavior, saying girls experience it first and have to, rich southern dad, probably abused. Her actions conveniently split Rust amd Hart. Manipulative vibes over all. Even after all those years with a big rock on her finger she goes out of her way to get info about the case. Rich southern family is like the Tuttles.

It's an anthology series, none of the characters have crossed seasons so far though they are all set in the same world. 

So I'm not saying you're wrong necessarily, just don't expect your theory to be confirmed in season two. It's very different.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

It's an anthology series, none of the characters have crossed seasons so far though they are all set in the same world. 

So I'm not saying you're wrong necessarily, just don't expect your theory to be confirmed in season two. It's very different.

Lots of asoiaf theories are gonna end up that way if we never get Winds or Dream ultimately.

3 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Agreed.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I never thought Maggie was in on it. I figured she was just preparing her daughters for the chauvinistic realties of their world. And I never thought any of her actions were lack off concern. She was dealing with 3 children really, and that was obviously taxing on her.

I remember when we were discussing season 1 as it was going on and many of us(and the interwebs)were connecting Maggie’s dad to the killings because of the stuff you listed. It seemed to make sense. But a lot of that was seemingly just coincidental: Marty’s kids setting the barbie dolls up as a crime scene, drawing on the walls at the mental hospital matching up. The creators basically dismissed all of this stuff as I remember it.

Watched TG:Mav (steaming pile) and Vesper. Loved Vesper. Excellently done sci Fi. Filmed in the woods in Lithuania -- the movie takes place in a post apocalyptic future about a young girl scavenging/bio-hacking to keep her and her father alive. Her father is paralyzed and has his consciousness tethered to a drone that travels with Vesper (floating box with a face, essentially.) The movie is well acted and gets the most out of limited CGI. Highly recommend.

Finished first season of The Flight Attendant. I thought it was really good as I mentioned before, and it managed to stay a lot of fun throughout the whole season. It somehow managed to do a decent job of having it's main character be likeable despite a number of pretty serious character flaws, she should be horrible, but you enjoy her presence, mainly due to the performance of Kuoco, who really surprised me. 

It also had a storytelling device of her talking to a dead guy in her mind throughout, which should have been clunky and annoying, but in fact was reasonably well done and allowed the audience to understand her motivations and thoughts far better than if they hadn't done that. 

I don't have high hopes for season 2 as I can only imagine the show ramps up the silliness and loses much of what made that first season good, but I'l give it a shot.

Otherwise I'm going to watch The Midnight Club, which is the latest in the so called Mike Flanagan-verse. I'm so far, very mixed on Flanagan. I thought Midnight Mass was possibly the best show I watched last year, a slow burner but it had real depth and creeped the fuck out of me without being manipulative. On the other hand I thought Haunting of Hill House was a bit of a let down and very overrated, what should have been spooky was ruined by too much CGI ghosties that never felt tangible (for a ghost). Doctor Sleep was almost good but again I think pretty overrated and Oculous is a pretty standard horror movie. I do want to watch Geralds Game but if it's good I'm still pretty undecided on him. 

31 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Started The Bear with Jeremy Allen White. Two episodes in and I quite like it so far, even if he really doesn't even look close to how I picture a chef in a fancy restaurant. Maybe that's even the point.

There should be flashbacks that show him actually quite polished but chefs, even in super fancy restaurants, are quite tatted up.

It's an awesome show and only gets better and better.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Otherwise I'm going to watch The Midnight Club, which is the latest in the so called Mike Flanagan-verse. I'm so far, very mixed on Flanagan. I thought Midnight Mass was possibly the best show I watched last year, a slow burner but it had real depth and creeped the fuck out of me without being manipulative. On the other hand I thought Haunting of Hill House was a bit of a let down and very overrated, what should have been spooky was ruined by too much CGI ghosties that never felt tangible (for a ghost). Doctor Sleep was almost good but again I think pretty overrated and Oculous is a pretty standard horror movie. I do want to watch Geralds Game but if it's good I'm still pretty undecided on him. 

I’m a bit biased, as I’m a huge Mike Flanagan fan, but I liked The Midnight Club. I didn’t realize it wasn’t a self contained season like the rest of his shows. Not sure if it will get a 2nd season (never know with Netflix), but they left a lot of things unanswered. I’m not familiar with the books it’s based on but apparently there’s a bunch of them. 

Archived