Watch, Watched, Watching: Festival Time!

Zorral

I watched the two seasons of Raised by Wolves and I feel it started very good but was still decent in the end. Good child acting too with flaws in acting easily explained with the upbringing of the kids. 

It is a less formulaic SF story than most and I really liked the worldbuilding and the tech.

Marcus feels like that Travis Fimmel can just play one character though. He plays him more or less completely the same as Ragnar Lothbrok from Vikings.  Worked this time though but I get the feeling that he is not a very flexible actor.

Mother/Father are just awesomely acted I feel. 

Spoiler

The Necromancer combat android is just an awesome design. That is something to strike fear in the heart of your enemies.

23 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

First time? Yes, it is a nearly perfect season of tv. 

I finished We Own This City. It was pretty good. I’m sure it’s been said a million times over but weird seeing certain The Wire alums in different roles from the same setting. Obviously Marlo being the big one, but Jaime Hector was great.

Bernthal and his crew all played the scumbag cop roles perfectly too. They were tough to watch at times, especially that shithead Hersl. Fuck that whole crew irl. Enjoy prison.

I lost interest midway through WOTC.  Is it worth continuing?  I loved The Wire but I felt this was too humorless and boxed in narratively by the real events.  Plus, I’ve already read extensively about the GTT in Baltimore and all their sordid corruption, so this feels like a documentary where the over-familiarity is only partly offset by the great writing and acting.  There’s no suspense or great character arc.

(And agreed the True Detective S1 was excellent, although not a great candidate for a rewatch)

My recent watches include Elvis (the showbiz biopic I hadn’t realized I needed), HotD (mostly quite good), RoP (good intentions but the whole setting and narrative collapses under any scrutiny), a rewatch of Bosche (good detective show, really relaxing cadence, tone and even voice registers), rewatching Veep (always excellent), Eraser: Reborn (completely generic action flick), and Good Behavior (S1?) (kinda meh, and miscast in the lead role; could be a DNF), and nothing else that’s memorable, I guess.

I need to finish off Derry Girls S3 that I got to start during a visit to Ireland back in May.

I would guess that HotD and RoP’s viewing numbers are helped by the lack of competition at the moment.

3 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I lost interest midway through WOTC.  Is it worth continuing?  I loved The Wire but I felt this was too humorless and boxed in narratively by the real events.  Plus, I’ve already read extensively about the GTT in Baltimore and all their sordid corruption, so this feels like a documentary where the over-familiarity is only partly offset by the great writing and acting.  There’s no suspense or great character arc.

(And agreed the True Detective S1 was excellent, although not a great candidate for a rewatch)

Honestly, it’s more of the same until the end. So I’d just skip the rest if I were you, especially being familiar with the case.

8 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Marcus feels like that Travis Fimmel can just play one character though. He plays him more or less completely the same as Ragnar Lothbrok from Vikings.  Worked this time though but I get the feeling that he is not a very flexible actor.

I thought he was fine in season 1 of Raised By Wolves. I still haven't seen season 2.

I dare you to watch Zone 414 on Netflix. Fimmel's performance is the lowlight of one of the worst pieces of shit I've ever seen. 

My full review here

For those wondering about this moment in the latest episode of HOTD,

Spoiler

“As we were filming this, the crown fell off Paddy's head and Matt picked it up and we continued. We didn't stop filming”, revealed director Geeta Patel."

Not sure which interview that was from but seen it going around today on FB.  Anyway, was a great moment, totally fortuitous.

A Quiet Place Part II masters the use of sound, and lack there of, much like the original. It was truly haunting at times. Most of the acting is also top notch and the pacing is solid too. My only real knock on it is the deus ex machina every few scenes. 

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

For those wondering about this moment in the latest episode of HOTD,

Hide contents

“As we were filming this, the crown fell off Paddy's head and Matt picked it up and we continued. We didn't stop filming”, revealed director Geeta Patel."

Not sure which interview that was from but seen it going around today on FB.  Anyway, was a great moment, totally fortuitous.

I don't buy it, sounds apocryphal.

9 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I thought he was fine in season 1 of Raised By Wolves. I still haven't seen season 2.

I dare you to watch Zone 414 on Netflix. Fimmel's performance is the lowlight of one of the worst pieces of shit I've ever seen. 

My full review here

Oh I think he is fine in it as the Ragnar approach works in this.

11 hours ago, DMC said:

I don't buy it, sounds apocryphal.

It from Inside HotD.

Interview with PC in the NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/10/arts/television/house-of-the-dragon-paddy-considine.html?

He hasn't watched any of the episodes and won't.

He does definitely state the person he was thinking of in the last moment with raised hand, whom he meant by 'my love' was Aemma.  Which the director of Inside HotD refused to say, when asked, instead, "Only Paddy knows who he meant."

Q: On his deathbed, Viserys mistakes Alicent (Olivia Cooke) for Rhaenyra, and reaffirms the prophecy to her. When she leaves, he seems to think he’s speaking to someone else.

A: The only suggestion [in the script] is that he doesn’t quite know who he’s talking to. I always had an idea in my head, whether it was useful to the story or not, that the last thing Viserys sees before he dies is the person who comes to collect him from this mortal life. When he dies, he sees Aemma, and he says, “My love.”

I just kind of improvised that line, and reached out a little bit, because this to me is a tragic love story, in many ways. But I kept that private; I never actually disclosed that in the end. I just thought, “If they use it, they use it,” and I hear it’s made the cut, so I’m really grateful, because it ends that story quite beautifully. The narrative I had in my mind was that he never really gets over Aemma, that he’s devastated for the rest of his life.

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

It from Inside HotD.

Interview with PC in the NYT:

I understand.  Stand by my statement.  I don't buy that the dropping of the crown and Daemon/Smith putting it back on his head was purely accidental, no matter what anyone says.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

I understand.  Stand by my statement.  I don't buy that the dropping of the crown and Daemon/Smith putting it back on his head was purely accidental, no matter what anyone says.

I kinda get your suspicion, people being so full of shit and all. But why not take credit for what many saw as the highlight of the episode? Why lie and say it was an accident and not their great idea. 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

I kinda get your suspicion, people being so full of shit and all. But why not take credit for what many saw as the highlight of the episode? Why lie and say it was an accident and not their great idea. 

Cuz it makes for a cool story.  Thus is the nature of apocrypha.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

The accident was during the rehearsal, then they decided to include it in the final shot. https://www.cbr.com/viserys-targaryen-crown-accident-touching-moment-house-of-the-dragon/

Patel told EW that while rehearsing the episode, King Viserys' crown fell off Paddy Considine and Matt Smith picked it up for him. The director and actors all realized this was a stirring moment, so they added it into the episode. In the original script, Viserys and Daemon were supposed to share their emotional moment during the dinner scene, in which Daemon would give a touching speech.

Archived