Watch, Watched, Watching: Festival Time!

Zorral

8 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Unforgiven 

Eastwood and Co

Great not the greatest but there's something magnetic. 

I actually just watched the Japanese remake of Unforgiven from 2013 with Ken Watanabe in the Clint Eastwood role. Also a very good movie.

On 10/20/2022 at 5:45 AM, dbunting said:

I attribute my feelings about this episode of HotD to not having Daemon and Rhaenyra in it, along with you know who dying last week. 

I think that was certainly a contributing factor for me (and something the show will have to work on in coming seasons, as the Greens' side of things should also be engaging. Luckily Aemond has a lot of potential), but there were also some clear attacks on my suspension of disbelief. The biggest being of course

Spoiler

The inexplicable refusal of Rhaenys to prevent civil war and eliminate the Greens in one fell swoop. That was Rings of Power level bad in my opinion. 

Early season 4 and I’m getting bored with Lost. I don’t like the messy timeline,  jumping between past, present and future. It’s a cheap and uninspired way to try to jazz up a plot that would be fine enough without the confusing time jumps too. It takes away from character stories because the show basically spoils itself and downplays its own tension by showing me exactly how something is going to play out. In turn, there’s no real time spent on human interactions and relationships. 

Spoiler

Jin silent treated Sun for several days after he found out she could speak English. He finds out she cheated on him and a few hours later he’s fine with that to the point that implies he would even be fine if the baby wasn’t his. We don’t even really get a reaction out of Jin, how this impacts him as a person, with the marriage they had, in the culture they grew up in. We don’t discuss this at all. What we do is we spend this stupid scene in the future to find out that Sun survives, that her baby survives but Jin dies. So at this point I have no reason to worry about Sun or the baby or Jin because I know exactly where their path is headed. Much the same with Claire, Aaron, Jack, Hurley and Kate and Sayid, or even Ben, or you know, everybody else who are bound to die. I suppose at this point the only mildly interesting question left is whether Vincent makes is back to Walt or not.

Also we mourned Charlie for like 30 seconds. Or I zoned out and scrolled on my phone if and when Clair did have conversations about losing him with anybody. We mourned Danielle for… 2? I’m not saying she was anything other than a plot device, but the character spent 16 years on that island, reunited with her child she’s been looking for (this may have got 10 seconds of recognition) and puff she was gone and forgotten quicker than a fly. For the amount of times she showed up to get the plot moving, she deserved better. 
I don’t like the new characters too much either. Rebecca Mader is boring, the hostage guy is annoying , Faraday is okay, the show needs someone like him,  but he’s overdone, the helicopter pilot is barely there but seems like a decent person. I like the crazy captain, who finally showed Ben that no, he ain’t  got everything under control. And he rid us of Alex who was entirely redundant to the story and the only purpose she could have had was to give Danielle a satisfying ending but the show either cut it or forgot to write it. 

13 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:
Spoiler

What we do is we spend this stupid scene in the future to find out that Sun survives, that her baby survives but Jin dies. So at this point I have no reason to worry about Sun or the baby or Jin because I know exactly where their path is headed. Much the same with Claire, Aaron, Jack, Hurley and Kate and Sayid, or even Ben, or you know, everybody else who are bound to die. I suppose at this point the only mildly interesting question left is whether Vincent makes is back to Walt or not.

Spoiler

The bait-and-switch with Jin running around while Sun is in labor was one of the most annoying things they did.  That being said, I wouldn't say you "know" all these things.  First of all, even in the flash forwards, the Oceanic 6's stories obviously aren't done yet.  Second, you may be surprised to see how it all turns out.

On Jin's response to Sun cheating, I liked the Bernard scene, and Jin internalizing his comments.  I think the difference between his response in season 1 and his response here demonstrates how much he's matured (and subsequently realized how big of a dick he was).  I also thought they mourned Charlie just fine - we don't need another funeral scene, especially considering there isn't a body.  It also was the catalyst for Hurley and Claire going with Locke.  They did give short shrift to Danielle though, agreed.

16 hours ago, DMC said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The bait-and-switch with Jin running around while Sun is in labor was one of the most annoying things they did.  That being said, I wouldn't say you "know" all these things.  First of all, even in the flash forwards, the Oceanic 6's stories obviously aren't done yet.  Second, you may be surprised to see how it all turns out.

On Jin's response to Sun cheating, I liked the Bernard scene, and Jin internalizing his comments.  I think the difference between his response in season 1 and his response here demonstrates how much he's matured (and subsequently realized how big of a dick he was).  I also thought they mourned Charlie just fine - we don't need another funeral scene, especially considering there isn't a body.  It also was the catalyst for Hurley and Claire going with Locke.  They did give short shrift to Danielle though, agreed.

Spoiler

Well sure, I can only speak for this particular point in time and the future progression of the show may change my mind about this choice of narrative. Nevertheless, I don’t see the added value of mixing three different timelines and I’m not impressed with its effect on the story. 

Oh yeah sure, I get that. That he would be far more  toned down compared to season 1. But you know,  finding out that your long time partner cheated on you is a big deal, in a South Korean culture, perhaps even more so, I imagine. So I would expect Jin to take more time to come to terms with this. 

yes Charlie’s death influenced Claire and Hurley’s picking Locke’s camp, which is a character motivation. But I do wish Clair would have had a quite chat with Kate or Hurley or even Sawyer, which would have been interesting about what it means for her to have lost Charlie. 

I had the unfortunate displeasure of having to sit through Baz Luhrman's purported Elvis biopic yesterday. I find it hard to imagine that any film that I see in 2022 could be worse than this one. This "movie" is an incoherent mess that takes forever to go absolutely nowhere. If I had not watched this in company I would have just walked out and done something more productive with my life.

All in all, it has only two saving graces. Firstly, it is a reminder that despite how awful Rings of Power was, it could always have been much, much worse (think Rings of Power by Baz Luhrman :thumbsdown:). Secondly, the guy playing Elvis is really good and his performance is absolutely wasted in this one. What an incredibly stupid idea to center the film on Tom Hanks' grotesque and amateurish performance as Tom Parker when there is a young actor with this kind of skill at hand to play Elvis.

Such a shame though. The official trailer for this film might be the best I have ever seen. It's a classic bait and switch though, as whoever cut this trailer focusses almost exclusively on Austin Butler's performance as Elvis since that is both the only thing people who go and see a movie called Elvis want to see and because Butler is the only thing in this failure who actually puts in a grounded performance. 

Oh God oh god oh god, this didn’t just happen. And yes it did, this is an actual dialogue in a movie. 

Spoiler

“Pointing out people’s differences and saying it’s weird is making fun of them.” 
“whoa” 
“did you like really not know that?”
”no, I thought I was just making conversation. I’ve got so many people to apologize to”

This is actual dialogue in an actual movie that was written and produced for money. I.. I.. I… Man I knew I shouldn’t have pressed play on the sequel.

5 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Oh God oh god oh god, this didn’t just happen. And yes it did, this is an actual dialogue in a movie. 

Reveal hidden contents

“Pointing out people’s differences and saying it’s weird is making fun of them.” 
“whoa” 
“did you like really not know that?”
”no, I thought I was just making conversation. I’ve got so many people to apologize to”

This is actual dialogue in an actual movie that was written and produced for money. I.. I.. I… Man I knew I shouldn’t have pressed play on the sequel.

Hahaha - that was a definite lowlight of that movie, but I though they improved a few things from the original 

Spoiler

- Background of the witches/the kids playing them were great

- They got rid of all of the weak virgin jokes

I'm one to put on shitty movies when I can't sleep, hoping to pass out to them. Instead I "enjoyed" a Gerard Butler STEM hero double feature: Geostorm and Greenland. Fuck me those are two bad movies. 

I also watched a terrible movie called Into the Storm. Skip it and watch Twister if you're in that kind of mood. 

7 hours ago, Veltigar said:

it has only two saving graces.

It has a third sorta saving grace: showing just how the American Way thinks.  It's all grift, flimflam, and sentimentality, knowingly so. There's a reason the Wizard of Oz centering a humbug -- Oz -- is the quintessential film of the USA.

The tragedy of the Parker-Elvis story is that Parker really did destroy authentic genuine genius -- while playing into racism, which is also quintessentially USA.

9 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:
Spoiler

But you know,  finding out that your long time partner cheated on you is a big deal, in a South Korean culture, perhaps even more so, I imagine. So I would expect Jin to take more time to come to terms with this.

Spoiler

Well, at least he doesn't know his father-in-law tried to get him to kill - then did kill - the guy who cuckolded him.

I watched all the Halloweens in the run up to the new one. Now I'm finishing up the Friday the 13th movies. I'm not saying the Halloween sequels are great but man is that a better franchise. Some of these Jason movies were hard to get through. Nostalgia may be a factor though, I definitely first saw the Halloween movies at a younger age. 

Jason Takes Manhattan and Jason X were high points just to get out of the damn woods. I'd say Freddy V. Jason is the best thing in the series. 

46 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I watched all the Halloweens in the run up to the new one. Now I'm finishing up the Friday the 13th movies. I'm not saying the Halloween sequels are great but man is that a better franchise. Some of these Jason movies were hard to get through. Nostalgia may be a factor though, I definitely first saw the Halloween movies at a younger age. 

Jason Takes Manhattan and Jason X were high points just to get out of the damn woods. I'd say Freddy V. Jason is the best thing in the series. 

Which Friday the 13th sequel does Jason's mask get removed and he looks like an alien? Feel it's in the 4-6 range.

3 hours ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

Hahaha - that was a definite lowlight of that movie, but I though they improved a few things from the original 

Reveal hidden contents

- Background of the witches/the kids playing them were great

- They got rid of all of the weak virgin jokes

For the record I didn’t particularly like the original either. Watched both for the first time today as background noise for 4 hours of steaming and ironing stuff. It was mediocre at best with a few lovable moments. The sequel was much the same but mediocre and cringe in a 2022 way rather than a 90s way. 

Spoiler

Haha, I thought the virgin jokes got worse. Then again, I have yet to see a virgin joke on screen that actually works. They did better than Game of Thrones at least. 

Yes the kid actors playing the young witches did justice to the story and characters . Also kinda liked  the cheese fest ending when Winnie chose her sisters over power and got to reunite with them even though it was neither built up nor earned .

My main issue with the sequel was that it felt, looked, sounded and was written like a F class assembly line netflix teen drama into which they decided to drop the Hocuspocus witches for marketing value.

Max or Whatshisname learned a lesson about courage, stepping up, being inventive in a time of need and sibling bond. What the hell did Izzy learn? I suppose I can’t complain because the male characters did learn to apologize. FFS. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Opposite for me. Outside of the original Halloween and Season of the Witch I’d say I probably prefer Friday the 13th as a franchise. 

45 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Which Friday the 13th sequel does Jason's mask get removed and he looks like an alien? Feel it's in the 4-6 range.

He always looks weird the I think four times the mask comes off. I'd say he's got the weirdest head shape in Jason Takes Manhattan.

Archived