Watch, Watched, Watching: Festival Time!

Zorral

14 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I went into the vault and rewatched Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story with Ben Still and Vince Vaugn yesterday. It's amazing to see how far we have come since 2004 as there is a lot of comedy in there that I do not think would work particularly well today. That being said, I still greatly enjoyed this film. Not sure why it never seems to have captured the zeitgeist as much as Zoolander did, but I think I probably prefer this one. The character of Patches O'Houlihan just cracks me up.

Excellent comedy and it's from a time I miss. There were so many good comedies from that era compared to the last 10 years or so which has produced almost nothing. 

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Excellent comedy and it's from a time I miss. There were so many good comedies from that era compared to the last 10 years or so which has produced almost nothing. 

There's plenty of good comedy.  It's just mostly on TV now and not in theaters.

32 minutes ago, briantw said:

There's plenty of good comedy.  It's just mostly on TV now and not in theaters.

Guess I'm missing most of it then and I do have a hard time believing comedy on TV can reach the heights of film unless it's on HBO or something similar. 

2 hours ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Watched the first two eps of The Peripheral. 

It is fucking amazing and I want more of y'all to watch it so I can talk about it more. It has so many similar beats to Westworld in terms of tech + near future + weird timeline stories, but for some reason it's grabbed me so much faster than that ever did. The acting is awesome, good lines and scripting, bad-ass cybertech and drone work, and cool as hell to watch. 

I've not read the book but am going to go buy that now, because this is awesome. 

My wife and I watched it last night and we were totally into it. Wish I could binge it though...

6 hours ago, IFR said:

I honestly am at a loss at where you're going with this. You think it would have contributed to the story to have some random deranged person storm in and kill a couple midwives during a birthing scene?

You not recognize sarcasm?

On 10/24/2022 at 5:13 PM, Kalnestk Oblast said:

It is fucking amazing and I want more of y'all to watch it so I can talk about it more. It has so many similar beats to Westworld in terms of tech + near future + weird timeline stories, but for some reason it's grabbed me so much faster than that ever did. The acting is awesome, good lines and scripting, bad-ass cybertech and drone work, and cool as hell to watch. 

I've not read the book but am going to go buy that now, because this is awesome. 

I have read the book, being a huge fan of William Gibson. I do have some minor quibbles but hey, the show is not the book. The show does capture the spirit of Gibson's prose though and that is more than enough for me. There is a sequel to the book also so lots of material  for an extended run.

6 hours ago, maarsen said:

I have read the book, being a huge fan of William Gibson. I do have some minor quibbles but hey, the show is not the book. The show does capture the spirit of Gibson's prose though and that is more than enough for me. There is a sequel to the book also so lots of material  for an extended run.

I didn't remember the title, but about 10 minutes in when Flynne takes takes over the the game for Burton it suddenly hit me, "I know this story and this is going to be awesome". 

On 10/24/2022 at 10:13 PM, Kalnestk Oblast said:

I was about the post about this. I have read the book and been excited about the show for a year now. I really enjoyed the first two eps. It looks how I expected it to look. Gibson novels are full of cool things being done by cool people so it does bode well for adaptation. 

Maybe because I haven't read the book, but after one episode of The Peripheral I'm certainly mixed on it so far. I thought the in-game stuff was very cool, very well done and certainly interesting. The rest of it, the real life stuff I wasn't so keen on. Was giving me a few 'Ready Player One' vibes, and I fucking hate that film / book. 

I'm sure the show is going to be good once it get's going, I just found quite a bit of that first episode a bit of a drag. 

Watched House of the Dragon's finale on Monday. I liked it a lot although the best episode of the series so far and the clear peak of this show after season one remains episode 8 for me.

There were still some odd choices. 

Spoiler

Like Team Raemon not making toast flambé out of Otto Hightower.

All in all though, it was a decent episode that bowed out gracefully and left me wanting more. A tall order for a show like this and I hope the same level of quality (or even better) can be reached by further seasons as well. 

On 10/24/2022 at 10:56 PM, dbunting said:

Season finale for HotD last night. I really liked this show, not entirely surprised since I also loved GOT. The entire season basically set us up for the war to come but I never found myself bored, looking at my phone or anything like that. IMO they did a great job at building up these characters and showing their motivations for what is to come.

Reveal hidden contents

On the dragon battle, I remembered reading that part in a book or novella or something so when he was heading off to Storms end I was like, oh yeah, he dies here. I just wish we had gotten to see Winterfell in this episode, that and the Vale. Would've been nice to see more familiar castles.

I love the way they did the Dragonstone map table. 

Agreed on the map table. It was an epic detail in a series full of them. You really feel that a lot of thought have been put in the details.

I hated GoT in the end, so the fact that someone who loved and who hated GoT both thought this first season was excellent is a strong endorsement.

On 10/25/2022 at 12:01 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, we only have ourselves to blame unfortunately. If no one is checking films like this out in theatre, no one will be making them.

On 10/24/2022 at 3:41 PM, DMC said:

Yeah, Dodgeball is considerably funnier than Zoolander.  Curious what jokes/situations you think wouldn't work today?

Mostly everything related to Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn's characters 

Spoiler

hitting on Kate. Even Vaughn's character objectifies her from the get-go with the "hey pretty eyes" opener. I don't think most audience members would be okay with that in a 2022 film.

To a lesser extent I think the same is also true for the derogatory comments on lesbians. Although the fact that Patches O'Houlihan is playing a figure from a bygone age and he's the one who is making those comments the most makes it okay.

1 minute ago, Veltigar said:

Mostly everything related to Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn's characters

Eh, I guess Vince Vaughn's characters (as a lead at least) throughout the aughts would be toned down a bit.  And yeah, some of the lesbian jokes probably would be axed.  But I don't think that's much.

12 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

That was some Trumpian level of sarcasm. ;)

I'd say that's the level of sarcasm we voters here in the USA who aren't insane are at -- there is no sarcasm, no satire, no jokes any more.

Watched the mini series Why Didn't They Ask Evans?. An Agatha Christie story, conventional and entertaining.

Forgot to mention The Resort which I watched a few months back. Liked the suspense and the atmosphere, didn't love the ending. Breakout character: Baltasar.

Now I've started Andor and I think it's ... fine so far.

11 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Watched House of the Dragon's finale on Monday. I liked it a lot although the best episode of the series so far and the clear peak of this show after season one remains episode 8 for me.

There were still some odd choices. 

Hide contents

Like Team Raemon not making toast flambé out of Otto Hightower.

Reveal hidden contents

hitting on Kate. Even Vaughn's character objectifies her from the get-go with the "hey pretty eyes" opener. I don't think most audience members would be okay with that in a 2022 film.

To a lesser extent I think the same is also true for the derogatory comments on lesbians. Although the fact that Patches O'Houlihan is playing a figure from a bygone age and he's the one who is making those comments the most makes it okay.

I thought they showed why

Spoiler

Rhaenyra said that she will not be the one to shed blood first. She doesn't want to rule over a city of ash and bone. This is why Rhenys wants to back her.

Archived