Watch, Watched, Watching: Festival Time!

Zorral

50 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I thought they showed why

Hide contents

Rhaenyra said that she will not be the one to shed blood first. She doesn't want to rule over a city of ash and bone. This is why Rhenys wants to back her.

I think the real question is

Spoiler

Why does Otto keep going to Dragonstone totally unprepared for the fact that they have dragons. 

I watched The Little Girl that Lives Down The Lane thinking it was a horror movie. I thought she was a monster or an alien. Jodi Foster's voice is so distinct.

Spoiler

I dunno I thought of  Home Alone 2 Lost in New York twice while watching and that can't be a good sign. 

It's so weird watching young Martin Sheen acting like Charlie Sheen. 

"the cellar door fell on her" was pretty week. I'd rather the little girl had a more active role in that death, since it's eventually revealed she killed her own mother. 

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I think the real question is

Hide contents

Why does Otto keep going to Dragonstone totally unprepared for the fact that they have dragons. 

Spoiler

I think he was counting on Rhaenyra keeping Daemon under control. I wouldn't have brought any Kingsguard though since they didn't belong there, they belong with the king. Here they were nothing more than potential dragon fodder.   Plus you never know, they could've simply walked over to the other side and kneeled to her.  I think the scene only really exists to contrast the earlier scene when they met Daemon here to get the egg back, I don't think much thought went into it.

To any White Lotus viewers: Is it possible to watch season 2 without watching s1? Anything I need to know? Or is it impossible to get into at this point?

I found the two latest offerings of Lower Decks quite average. Loved the show, but the spell might be broken for me now. Well, at least it lasted longer than just until the dreaded second season!

Started The Watcher on Netflix. Clearly it's garbage but it has Naomi Watts in it so it can't be that terrible right?

For some reason it has 'Based on a True Story' plastered at the front, but there is no way almost any of this is true except in the most tenuous way! So many of the events are totally batshit and bizarre, I refuse to believe it's even close to a 'True Story

11 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

To any White Lotus viewers: Is it possible to watch season 2 without watching s1? Anything I need to know? Or is it impossible to get into at this point?

S1 is only a six hour investment and worth watching. That said I believe there's only one character connecting the two seasons and it's one of the least interesting ones from the first season so :dunno:.

HotD S1 wrapped up well.  A very good show even if it is bit too dreary and doesn’t offer enough of a glimpse at the realm outside the palace intrigue.

I’m another who is enjoying Peripheral so far.  The in-game portrayal in ep1 was very good, and the opening home-defense of ep2 was good too — surprising levels of production quality for a TV show, especially considering what RoP produced with the biggest budget ever.  Ep2 was a bit too talky and lost momentum as it went on: too much of a pause to establish relative camps.  It would be better to press forward with the narrative and allow the viewers to gradually pierce the mystery.

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

Thank you. Thing is, i think I started watching it and didn't like it much. The reason I want to try season 2 is it now has Aubrey Plaza in it. I guess I'll try and see how it goes.

I don't think it has great hook at the beginning, but I gave it time because of the hype. About half way in it's a train wreck you can't take your eyes off of even if you hate all the characters. 

4 hours ago, cock_merchant said:

No love for Guillermo del Toro's CABINET OF CURIOSITIES on Netflix? Scary, sinister, and beautiful to look at. The Autopsy (Ep3) is brilliant. Wonderfully sadistic cosmic horror with a delicious twist in the final act. Lots of Lovecraftian elements throughout the series. 

I’m saving this to watch over the weekend. I see the episode you’re talking about was directed by David Prior - who did The Empty Man, which I really liked. 

I also saw there’s a new season of Unsolved Mysteries out. I want to get to that as well. 

8 hours ago, cock_merchant said:

No love for Guillermo del Toro's CABINET OF CURIOSITIES on Netflix? Scary, sinister, and beautiful to look at. The Autopsy (Ep3) is brilliant. Wonderfully sadistic cosmic horror with a delicious twist in the final act. Lots of Lovecraftian elements throughout the series. 

I watched The Autopsy and Lot 36 and enjoyed them both. Good shit so far.

I just finished the new Netflix movie The Stranger. It’s solid and worth a go. Edgerton and especially Sean Harris carry it. Harris is so wonderfully awkward in it, which leads to some tense and odd scenes.

Finished the first season of Foundation.

Overall ok I would say ok and I will definitely watch season two.

Spoiler

The Cleon brothers/Demerzel and the Gaal storylines were the highlights for. 

Definitely far more interesting than the Terminius/Anacreons storyline.

It made me care about some of the characters which is definitely an improvement over the source material.

Andor continues to be very good. No lightsabers (so far), no force being with you, just a strangely realistic depiction of fascism, its middle management, and a conspiracy to fight it. Fantastic worldbuilding.

30 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Jason Alexander was 30 when Seinfeld debuted. Anyone born in 1989 would be the same age today as his character is during the first season. That's truly shocking. 

One of my cohorts at Pitt was quite balding when we first started the program.  I was kind of excited because I was significantly older than almost all the other people in their first year, and even a bit older than most of those in the two to three years above us.  (I was 29.)  So I was quite disappointed when I asked how old he was and he said 23.

21 minutes ago, DMC said:

One of my cohorts at Pitt was quite balding when we first started the program.  I was kind of excited because I was significantly older than almost all the other people in their first year, and even a bit older than most of those in the two to three years above us.  (I was 29.)  So I was quite disappointed when I asked how old he was and he said 23.

We all get different blessings and curses. I played football with two dudes who in 8th grade were over 6ft tall, more muscular than some of our coaches, were covered in body hair and could grow full beards at 14/15. They were both also completely bald before our senior year of college. One was rather sore about it, the other constantly joked that he was a science experiment gone wrong (made funnier because both his parents were career military types). 

I watched Black Adam the other day. Surprisingly enough, I enjoyed myself. It's basically your standard run-of-the-mill superhero origin movie (with a few interesting titbits added that weren't properly utilized and therefore sadly cannot impact the score positively), so you are not missing out on anything if you decide to skip this.

As someone who does tend to like The Rock in films however, I liked this slightly more than other average superhero origin movies. I did catch someone falling asleep at the theatre however, so if you are neither into superhero movies, nor like the Rock as an actor than I would probably skip this.

On 10/27/2022 at 8:03 AM, Heartofice said:

Started The Watcher on Netflix. Clearly it's garbage but it has Naomi Watts in it so it can't be that terrible right?

For some reason it has 'Based on a True Story' plastered at the front, but there is no way almost any of this is true except in the most tenuous way! So many of the events are totally batshit and bizarre, I refuse to believe it's even close to a 'True Story

This is the original article it's based on. I haven't seen the show so I don't know crazy it got but given it's Ryan Murphy, I'm sure it's very insane.

Archived